Torquay United vs Boreham Wood predictions

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Having just watched the highlights, I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised. After reading everything on here it sounded like an awful performance with no shape and no attacking guile. I'm wondering if the highlights were cherry picked to make us look better? The first 5 minutes, right up until their first goal we looked like the better team, with some good attacking play. The first two goals are awful by us, but I take comfort in that we weren't ripped open by better players, but switched off and let them take advantage. The third goal is also somewhat flukey by them, i'm not sure he's trying to score there, and the fourth is a terrible line where they've walked through.

It's easy to blame the defence for all the goals, but these are direct balls from the midfield, rather than aimless balls lumped forward that our midfield let get through. I know a defence's shape can take a little time to get right and I know it'll get better, with improved marking, a line depth they're happy with and a better link to midfield, so I don't see us letting these types of goal in all season. Attack wise I thought we created some good chances, and actually our attacks looked better constructed and were able to work through them better than they were us.

Anyway, it just reaffirms my thoughts that the KN out post is just stupid and far too early. Everyone writes at the start of the season they expect mid table or another relegation fight, but when we start bad you're all surprised (making me think everyone secretly expects us to take the league by storm). Results will improve, squad cohesion and time on the pitch will see to that and I believe KN that these boys will do well. Just a little patience.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Mo Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 08:45 Having just watched the highlights, I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised. After reading everything on here it sounded like an awful performance with no shape and no attacking guile. I'm wondering if the highlights were cherry picked to make us look better? The first 5 minutes, right up until their first goal we looked like the better team, with some good attacking play. The first two goals are awful by us, but I take comfort in that we weren't ripped open by better players, but switched off and let them take advantage. The third goal is also somewhat flukey by them, i'm not sure he's trying to score there, and the fourth is a terrible line where they've walked through.

It's easy to blame the defence for all the goals, but these are direct balls from the midfield, rather than aimless balls lumped forward that our midfield let get through. I know a defence's shape can take a little time to get right and I know it'll get better, with improved marking, a line depth they're happy with and a better link to midfield, so I don't see us letting these types of goal in all season. Attack wise I thought we created some good chances, and actually our attacks looked better constructed and were able to work through them better than they were us.

Anyway, it just reaffirms my thoughts that the KN out post is just stupid and far too early. Everyone writes at the start of the season they expect mid table or another relegation fight, but when we start bad you're all surprised (making me think everyone secretly expects us to take the league by storm). Results will improve, squad cohesion and time on the pitch will see to that and I believe KN that these boys will do well. Just a little patience.
I think the highlights are cherry picked - posters who went to the game were talking of a miraculous double save by Clarke in the first half that's not on the highlights. In fact apart from the penalty and the goals it looks as though BW barely got out of their half
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Mo Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 08:45 Having just watched the highlights, I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised. After reading everything on here it sounded like an awful performance with no shape and no attacking guile. I'm wondering if the highlights were cherry picked to make us look better? The first 5 minutes, right up until their first goal we looked like the better team, with some good attacking play. The first two goals are awful by us, but I take comfort in that we weren't ripped open by better players, but switched off and let them take advantage. The third goal is also somewhat flukey by them, i'm not sure he's trying to score there, and the fourth is a terrible line where they've walked through.

The highlights are absolutely no reflection on the game as a whole.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have you watched us play Mo Gull or just seen highlights ?
No we were not the better side in the first half , didnt have a shot , BW forced about 8 corners and build up
play was better and goes without saying passing and support movement were better than ours
we always seem to play better football on the ground in the second half when attacking the Ellacombe end,
the players seem to have more confidence and are more comfortable, so yes there was an improvement
attacking wise but this was counteracted by the dreadful defensive errors. Hurry back Gowling and Davis
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Mo Gull - I think your a bit late with the Nico out post being stupid. I don't think the highlights were cherry picked at all. We did create chances in the game. As I said Boreham Woods defence wasn't any good either.

The main issue was our shambolic defensive performance though. The game could probably have finished 9-5 to Boreham Wood - that was the problem.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I watched the highlights as well and thought, gee not what has been posted on here, but though better of it to make a comment to that regard ;-)
TUST MEMBER