Aldershot Town vs Torquay United 08.08.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin stubbs

Post by Paignton green »

Same old mid table or worse I'm afraid get an experienced manager ffs
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 15:34 we moan about players playing out of their natural position.... Yan was signed as a midfielder who could "fill in" at CB as required. given that myles is a CB, then that's the choice that should - and was made.
Do your research... he played ALL of last season for York as a sweeper... so perhaps he is a Sweeper who can fill in as a midfielder? Your opinion is that is was the RIGHT decision, mine is that is was a very WRONG decision.

We conceded 3 so who knows...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I saw Klukowski play as the right sided centre back for York City at Harlow Town in the FA Trophy last season and assumed that's where Nicholson had signed him to play......

He looked like a defender adding muscle to the midfield last night; no particular technique but more physical presence and strength compared to Richards or Verma who he appears to have replaced. Looks like an athlete who has been taught to play football rather than a footballer who's been made athletic if you like.

I'll observe him with interest over the coming weeks when I get the chance to.

Reading the manager's comments on last night; I see where he was coming from with his game plan but still felt that they played into Aldershot's hands by not utilising more width in the manner in which he set up (maybe they could have deployed five in a diamond in midfield and played with just one up front) and so engaging their defenders moving forward. Rowe and Fenilon were the big difference last night with their ability, pace and penetration driving deep into the United defence.

Then bringing on the very physically adept Rendell and Okojie with fifteen minutes to go was too much for the tired Anderson and rather naïve and slender Chaney and we were extremely vulnerable down the 'left back channel'.

It was Rendell and Okijie who did for Clarke (who is no midget) with that all decisive third goal with our big men ~ Anderson, McGinty and Fallon back defending the corner ~ all unwilling to put themselves in between them and the keeper leaving him frustrated and exposed to the clattering he got. But hey, Okojie is only 21 and 6 '4" and been knocking around and scoring for fun at places like Aylesbury, Hitchin and Corinthian-Casuals for three years or more and Waddock didn't have to lay out much money to get him in. He wouldn't even have been on any money at Casuals as they are one of the few remaining strictly amateur clubs at Isthmian League 1 South level and people were talking about him before Aldershot gave him a break at the pro' game.

I suppose it could be claimed that Keating is in that category but there are much better than him around at the level that Okojie was at last season and the level below if you look at th right clubs with youngsters who have been in the academy scene but not gone on (yet) to get pro' contracts. Those players have already got the technique that Keating obviously hasn't, but he's a trier I'll give him that.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I would venture that we're all disagreeing over tactics, team selection and individual players' (in)ability because after even two matches many of us can foresee another depressing season ahead.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

It makes you wonder where Klukowski got such a high goal return from a few years ago for FGR. Granted, I've only seen him once but he did nothing to suggest he's got goals in him. As merse says, he's got all the attributes of a centre back to the naked eye.

Expanding the point about Okojie, this is why I was so desperately disappointed we went with Fallon, and still hope deep down and forlornly that he is a stop gap until someone else can be brought in. If we were so desperate for a target man, surely there must have been better out there who'd be looking for that break or stepping stone into the pro game.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Paignton green wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 15:46 Same old mid table or worse I'm afraid get an experienced manager ffs
Who do you have in mind?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Piglets is still banging the same drum.....
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I didn't go last night but I can't say I was expecting much. Aldershot had much the better of the game at theirs in April, and I imagine that last night followed suit. I do not think that we are a team that is comfortable retaining possession for prolonged periods; I think we are generally quite a direct side under Nicholson, with lots of balls for the forwards to chase. Of course, with McGinty in the side this is always going to be the case - it is a rare occasion when he moves the ball 10 yards instead of lumping it miles away. I imagine we lacked a bit of defensive composure last night without Gowling, he was a calming influence in the back four on Saturday. Hopefully it is nothing serious and he'll be fine to come back in on Saturday.

I've only seen this group of players once, against Tranmere, and I do feel there was a much better core to the team than previously. I think this is the strongest team that we've had while Nicholson has been in charge. I just hope that Kev doesn't resort to making a number of changes every match as the season goes on. As someone else mentioned, Merse I think, not having Lathrope screening the back four last night seemed a bizarre decision, especially when Gowling was removed from the equation. Nicholson needs to settle on an underlying strategy which can then be tweaked depending on the opponent/circumstances, as opposed to changing formation for every match.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 16:42 Expanding the point about Okojie, this is why I was so desperately disappointed we went with Fallon, and still hope deep down and forlornly that he is a stop gap until someone else can be brought in. If we were so desperate for a target man, surely there must have been better out there who'd be looking for that break or stepping stone into the pro game.
Emerging strikers are always evolving out of lower level football and that has got to be the way for small clubs with little money......Nicholson's shown that to himself with Keating but as I said there are literally scores better than him who are playing for peanuts and wouldn't be that expensive to persevere with.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:40not having Lathrope screening the back four last night seemed a bizarre decision, especially when Gowling was removed from the equation.
.........or is Lathrope (only 64 minutes on Saturday and with a history of 'sicknotes') another who cannot be utilised Sat-Tue-Sat?

It really makes me suspicious all this; and the more one thinks about it the more fragile the squad looks.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:40 I didn't go last night but I can't say I was expecting much. Aldershot had much the better of the game at theirs in April, and I imagine that last night followed suit.
It did; it was in reality just a continuation of that match, it was quite uncanny and those thoughts were in my head even before the half-time whistle had sounded.
Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:40 I do not think that we are a team that is comfortable retaining possession for prolonged periods; I think we are generally quite a direct side under Nicholson, with lots of balls for the forwards to chase. Of course, with McGinty in the side this is always going to be the case - it is a rare occasion when he moves the ball 10 yards instead of lumping it miles away.
When Fallon came on and presented him with a target you could almost see McGinty licking his lips with excitement and sure enough ~ hoof, hoof, hoof......only the immobile Kiwi in front of him never got on the end of one of them! To be honest, I can't even remember Fallon getting a touch and when he came back to defend the corner from which they scored their third he just stood there and picked up no-one!

That decisive 3rd goal. Note Fallon
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Southampton Gull wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:35 Piglets is still banging the same drum.....
yawn... yawn... and more yawn... have you finished writing your next love letter to KN?? :lol:
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

nickbrod wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 16:40 I would venture that we're all disagreeing over tactics, team selection and individual players' (in)ability because after even two matches many of us can foresee another depressing season ahead.
Yep, clueless manager doesn't help!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The signing of Fallon has given Hargreaves and all an excuse not to do anything about signing a real target man for the 10 games before the club admit he can't get fit enough for this league ( or most others). Like it not we are not a natural promotion side and we aren't going to be able to play table top football. It's therefore a horrible mistake and will probably end up costing us 7 to 8 points in those first 10 games . I don't necessarily condone the Hargreaves witch hunt because it always overstates the available alternatives but this signing has been a nightmare one from day one.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Errr... Nicholson?