Torquay United vs Tranmere Rovers 5.8.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I was also one who would have been happy with a point pre-match. We got a point so I am happy! It was a half decent match to watch and far better than the dross we were served up for the most part of last season.

Where Ray? I was wondering how Barrow got on!
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Agree with the consensus, lots of positives and would have taken a point before the game. The Torquay of two seasons ago would have rolled over, so it's really pleasing to see us not get intimidated by a physical side or a whistle happy referee.

The Chaney tackle was one of the worst I have seen live, happened virtually right in front of us. When he attempted to walk and couldn't I thought he'd done some serious damage. Landed right on his neck. How he managed to recover and complete the game I do not know, but a solid performance from him. He's not the biggest player but against a very physical side he did his job. The reaction of the Tranmere fans to his collapse was really upsetting, he was clearly in trouble and there was very little concern for the safety of a fellow human being. The tackle was a straight red all day long.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Must admit, to being surprised by some of the negative reactions, I've read across the forums and social media. Personally I think we must take into account the quality of the opposition, Tranmere are amongst the pre-season favourites for promotion, and on that evidence, they clearly are a big. strong, well organised team, that play good football, I can see them, no doubt, achieving a top five finish.

So with that in mind, there were definitely more positives than negatives to take from this game, my only criticism, the team did get sucked to easily into bypassing the midfield, without a proper big strong target man, meat and drink to the Tranmere back line.

The positives, our back line, the Gowling/McGinty centre back pairing looks like something that may develop into something special, they looked strong and solid through out, Clarke, compared Moore, chalk and cheese really, we have a fit for purpose goalkeeper now, not just a simple shot stopper, Higgins, a prospect, Chaney an able deputy at left back, but must not be turned into another Verma .

The reason why I've given our entire defensive unit the top five motm votes was, it was down to them that our team was able to walk away with a point, 11 v11 and 11 v 10 they were under intense pressure from a very strong Tranmere team, apart from a couple of mistakes that should have been punished, they coped and dealt with everything Tranmere could throw at them.

Think it's a little unfair to be critical of the midfield, or describe our front line, as lightweight. Had the team continued to try and pass through the middle, our midfield would have been swamped, as said, though, they seemed to just pick the quick long ball as an easy option, rather then picking their moment to pass it through the middle, when that option was available to them.

The front line, as said also, they came up against a big, strong organised back line, the effort from our front players was there, just didn't get much change from the effort put in, they will not come up against that level of opposition every week, so time judge whether our front line is lightweight or not, will come over the next few games.

Didn't understand why the match sponsors gave Clarke motm, it makes it sound like he was making saves through out, and constantly called into action, which was not the case, apart from two high quality saves, and the odd moment , to be fair, to the lads playing into front of him, rarely called into action.

For it was Gowling by country mile, just how many defensive headers did he win, showed his experience through out man marking, and, on a number of occasions, in the correct position at the right time, to cut a number final balls out, which was vital, his contribution above anyone, won the team the a point, a really good signing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

For me it was the defence that was the positive yesterday. We now have a defence that is fit for purpose in this league, Gowling was pure class.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Lots of positives to take from the game yesterday. As has been mentioned already, the defence looked solid as a unit, so that boys well for the more winnable games that are surely to come.

I think the midfield and forwards are getting a hard time of it from comments too. They were up against what is clearly a well drilled experienced side that will be challenging for promotion again this season. The endeavour was certainly there and we'll get much more opportunities against weaker opposition.

Feeling positive about the season ahead and I don't think we'll be bouncing around the relegation places again. A mid table campaign is just what the doctor ordered after recent years.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 21:40
The referee was very poor and should have sent off Buxton for the foul on Chaney who did very well at left back it's a shame he was not tried there last season.
You were one of his biggest cheerleaders last season but I don't recall one post from you saying he should play at left-back?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 11:42 You were one of his biggest cheerleaders last season but I don't recall one post from you saying he should play at left-back?
Yes - you're getting carried away, Arcadia !! Our left back last season was Rowe-Turner and in the second half of the season, LRT played very well. Sam did well filling in at left back yesterday, but I don't see that as being his natural position. Having said that, like you I have always thought he has potential and the more game time he is given, the more his game will develop. I think it's an important season for him. :-D
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 11:42 You were one of his biggest cheerleaders last season but I don't recall one post from you saying he should play at left-back?

I agree but sometimes when your a manager or player, a situation occurs and you try something and yes Chaney has stepped up to the mark.
I still stand by what I said last season with those players around him(Last season) and even yesterday there was no short passer to open Tranmere up in midfield.
Rowe Turner was shewn the door!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Elsewhere in the National League - Courtney Richards was a sub for Macclesfield, coming on late in the game. Tyrone Marsh started, but was substituted. Gallifuoco played tyhe whole match in Dover's excellent win away to Hartlepool. From the line up listed on Soccerway, it looks as if Chris Kinnear is playing him in midfield which is where I've always felt he'd be best suited. And here's the dead cert for the day - Brett Williams was booked !
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

bobby93 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 07:44 The Chaney tackle was one of the worst I have seen live, happened virtually right in front of us.
There was some retribution towards Chaney that was due to come from Tranmere so that this incident happened came as no surprise to me.....Chaney will know what I'm on about as well one or two others on here.

Don't forget when you get gobby with men you have to play the game at a man's level Sam; you can't hide behind facebook forever! ;-)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

merse it may have been retribution but nonetheless a straight red for Buxton from a competent referee for dangerous play.

At first I thought Sam was very seriously injured so was hugely relieved for the lad that he was able to continue after treatment.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Tranmere were a very physical, well drilled side and they will give many a team a good hiding this season.
I must say that the officiating was extremely poor and played a major part in Tramere going down to 9 men.
My MOTM by a country mile was Gowling, a true captains performance, followed by Clarke. I should also mention Chaney as I've not been his biggest fan however for a young lad, playing out of position he had a blinder!

IMHO it's point gained what ever the circumstances.

I think we played them off the park, well at least 2 them! ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How an earth is it a point gained. We couldn't beat nine men.

Excuses like "oh Its Tranmere they will win the league" and "they had 9 men for 10 minutes" are just plain daft.

In the circumstances it has to be two points lost - it can't be anything else.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I do wonder Brucie how you and Merse are such professed experts on the result and its value in a 46 game season when neither of you were actually there. I presume it's because all of us in attendance were unfortunately a group of babbling idiots.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

brucie wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 16:25 How an earth is it a point gained. We couldn't beat nine men.

Excuses like "oh Its Tranmere they will win the league" and "they had 9 men for 10 minutes" are just plain daft.

In the circumstances it has to be two points lost - it can't be anything else.
Brucie, it's not a given that you will beat 9 men with 10 minutes to go.

Without the aid of Clarke and the crossbar Tramere could have been out of sight. I'm sure that if you were there you would not be so harsh. Definitely a point gained rather than 2 dropped.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: