Torquay United vs Tranmere Rovers 5.8.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 23:17 Rule 1: DON'T chase the game!
Rule 2: Be prepared to settle for 0-0
Rule 3: DON'T lose!
"If you look at the last 10 minutes, the lads are so desperate to win it that everyone is just sprinting with the ball in a straight line and trying to get it closer to their goal" ~ Kevin Nicholson tonight showing they still don' know how to do it!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Bit harsh brucie, I wasn't there like yourself. But I can only imagine Tranmere going down to 10 men, just means there players keep it tight and simple whilst still represent a threat with there superior squad. Going down to 9 with 5 minutes to go away just means park the bus, slow the play. Let's face it they will the league. So a 0-0 draw is beyond what I and most expected today. A point gained today, rather than 2 lost
Lucy
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 20:11 "If you look at the last 10 minutes, the lads are so desperate to win it that everyone is just sprinting with the ball in a straight line and trying to get it closer to their goal" ~ Kevin Nicholson tonight showing they still don' know how to do it!
Actually, I thought for the most part they followed your advice. I don't really agree with KN, there were a couple of occasions when Higgins ran some distance with the ball but the problem was not the run but the pass. Reid, who started promisingly, also took a speculative shot, when a calmer head would have passed.
TUST number 080
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

So you dont rate Nicholson Merse but as a quote I am sure it's pretty darn accurate. It was however a point gained . We are not going to win the league this year with this team or this budget. However if I had to forecast which of today's two managers will be getting their P45 first I wouldn't be putting my money on KN.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

An absolute battle between a much improved United and Tranmere who clearly expected to pick up 3 points.
However like all bully boys they did not like it when we weathered the early storm and showed we were not going to be intimidated
It is so easy to blame the referee but Sam Allison simply does not display any authority and is a whistle happy referee who seems to guess which side commits an offence rather than knowing. The foul on Sam Chaney was a straight red in my opinion.This referee needs help quickly.
The big plus is we are going to be competitive this season and will only get better.
Clarke, Higgins Gowling and Gosling have made a big difference but , as others have said, we need a striker to capitalise on the players we have.
Keating is all heart but this is such a physical league he will find it so tough to make an impact. Love his passion though.
Good defence very light weight up front.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Most would have settled for a point before the game, although not to finish off a team with 9 men is disappointing. However, I thought the boys in orange/mango (because it is most certainly not yellow) did ok and a special mention for Chaney at LB. he did really well.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Dazza wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 20:26 So you dont rate Nicholson Merse but as a quote I am sure it's pretty darn accurate. It was however a point gained . We are not going to win the league this year with this team or this budget. However if I had to forecast which of today's two managers will be getting their P45 first I wouldn't be putting my money on KN.
Tranmere Chairman Mark Palios in the Directors' Box didn't seem too happy at the end.
No Clarke Osborne but 'Consultant' Chris Rich was 'in charge'. So Nicho safe for another week!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 20:11 "If you look at the last 10 minutes, the lads are so desperate to win it that everyone is just sprinting with the ball in a straight line and trying to get it closer to their goal" ~ Kevin Nicholson tonight showing they still don' know how to do it!
You are quite right we could have lost this game easily the last 10 minutes which we did most games last season perhaps Nicho has not learnt any lessons but give him the credit for putting out a side with pace,strength,ability and courage. I do think Nicho needs to look at the substitutions but Lathrope had to come of or we would have had him sent of. Perhaps Gray should have started.
The referee was very poor and should have sent off Buxton for the foul on Chaney who did very well at left back it's a shame he was not tried there last season.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Also interesting that the BBC have no idea, they still have the playoff place at 5th, not 7th. Look at the league table
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

An entertaining game, spoiled by a poor, inconsistent ref. McNulty's tackle on Chaney was horrendous and could well have put him out for the season. How the ref did not see it as a straight red is beyond me. For various reasons, i didn't get to any of the per-season friendlies so this was my first sight of our new-look side. First impressions - pretty good.

A few observations - not criticisms! We were lightweight up front, although it is hard to judge against possibly the best organised defence in the league. Keating was battling on his own. He needs a decent strike partner - possibly that player is James Gray. We had little width until Reed and Lee came on (both did well I thought). Chris Relph has got the pitch looking superb so why do we still insist on humping it up in the air so often? We now have three midfield players (Young, Gosling and Klukowski) who can play, so why bypass them? Terrific long throws by Higgins, but anything in the air was not going to bother the Tranmere defenders. Same with corners. Nico must develop different options from set pieces than just humping it in the middle and hoping. For example, from a Higgins throw, there was a scrum in the box but Luke Young stood unmarked just outside the box. If only the throw could have gone to him.

As we said last season, we have to pick up points from the teams that are likely to be in the lower half of the league. We failed abyssmally to do this last season. This season, because we've got more experience in the side, I think we will do it. Josh Gowling - it's good to have a proper captain at last !!!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 22:22 An entertaining game, spoiled by a poor, inconsistent ref. McNulty's tackle on Chaney was horrendous and could well have put him out for the season. How the ref did not see it as a straight red is beyond me. For various reasons, i didn't get to any of the per-season friendlies so this was my first sight of our new-look side. First impressions - pretty good.

A few observations - not criticisms! We were lightweight up front, although it is hard to judge against possibly the best organised defence in the league. Keating was battling on his own. He needs a decent strike partner - possibly that player is James Gray. We had little width until Reed and Lee came on (both did well I thought). Chris Relph has got the pitch looking superb so why do we still insist on humping it up in the air so often? We now have three midfield players (Young, Gosling and Klukowski) who can play, so why bypass them? Terrific long throws by Higgins, but anything in the air was not going to bother the Tranmere defenders. Same with corners. Nico must develop different options from set pieces than just humping it in the middle and hoping. For example, from a Higgins throw, there was a scrum in the box but Luke Young stood unmarked just outside the box. If only the throw could have gone to him.

As we said last season, we have to pick up points from the teams that are likely to be in the lower half of the league. We failed abyssmally to do this last season. This season, because we've got more experience in the side, I think we will do it. Josh Gowling - it's good to have a proper captain at last !!!

Common sense post. Surely a mid table finish is unthinkable
Lucy
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Don't think it was Mcnulty who clobbered Chaney but ut was a clear red
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Bert wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 23:11 Don't think it was Mcnulty who clobbered Chaney but ut was a clear red
You're right - I got that wrong ! It was the full back, Buxton. Ironically, he stayed on the pitch and McNulty was sent off for 'afters' with Keating. The whole episode was very poorly handled by the ref.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

lucy6lucy wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 22:04 Also interesting that the BBC have no idea, they still have the playoff place at 5th, not 7th. Look at the league table
Write to the bbc... how this is even remotely interesting...
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 23:19 You're right - I got that wrong ! It was the full back, Buxton. Ironically, he stayed on the pitch and McNulty was sent off for 'afters' with Keating. The whole episode was very poorly handled by the ref.
:goodpost: