Torquay United vs Tranmere Rovers 5.8.17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Norwood sent off so they're down to 9. COYY !!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

just got back good game lots of positives shame we havent got a good stiker.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Also just got back. It was a game we would have probably lost last year. We played like a lot of teams have played against us over the last couple of years. Not trying to create much, just trying to exploit errors, unfortunately there weren't too many. We there was some space we moved the ball well.

The sendings off didn't make much difference, Tranmere didn't seem less likely to score and we didn't look more likely. Reid and Gray promised a bit when they came on, looking more likely than Pittman and Keating. Klukowski had a couple of chances, one he skied and the second under hit.

Overall, I would have taken the point beforehand, but disappointed we didn't capitalise on our numerical advantage.
TUST number 080
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Although before the game would have taken a point I thought we didn't show enough especially in the last ten minutes when they were down to 9. Perhaps, after last season losing to ten men etc. we didn't want to lose it. Thought Tranmere were a niggly/moaning side but certainly knew how to manage the game when going down to ten then nine men. A point gained and now let's see how we do on the road on Tuesday. Oh and their full back shouldn't have stayed on the pitch after that awful challenge on Chaney.
Finally a word on the officials- Disgraceful
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Didn't go but I see people moaning about the ref

Just seen BBC says it was Sam Alison - terrible ref was abysmal last season too
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

He was, in fact it was his inability to control the situation following the bad challenge by their full back that led to all sorts of pushing and shoving that eventually led to Steve McNulty being sent off for a second yellow
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I thought that was a good point - until I realized they were reduced to nine men. Typical Torquay I'm afraid - never a team to look a gift referee in the face. Failing to beat nine men is nothing sort of pathetic.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

A committed performance from both sides. An entertaining 0-0.
Tranmere moved the ball around better than us, hit the woodwork twice, and had two debatable red cards.
Their number two should of been shown a straight red for an awful challenge on Chaney I think, but wasn't. A minute or so later Keating let the player know what he thought of the challenge, one of theirs put a foot out to trip him up and received a second yellow for it.
Keating should of stayed out of it, the boy has a temper.
The second red was for an elbow, which occurred within a minute of a Torquay player appearing to do exactly the same thing.
It felt to me that we were lucky to escape without a red card during the game.
The ref was poor, too lenient at the start, to harsh in the middle, then after the second red, felt he coundnt show another red.
Up front we were lightweight, whether that was the opposition, the wind, or our midfield making the wrong choices.
But a totally committed performance from us, some good play, but lacking in the last third. the keeper looks good.
He may well need to be.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Certainly not a dull 0-0 for sure. Tranmere started the brighter team and caused us several problems with some nice passing movements. Ryan Clarke made two excellent saves within the first 10 min , we improved and with Higgins long throw ins(that's was kept underwraps during pre season) we possibly should have created more from our possession. It was a good contest and I thought Jan K played extremely well.
Then the moment of madness. Chaney got completed clattered and I still cant believe he wasn't seriously injured. Thankfully he wasn't and how their player wasn't shown a straight red I have no idea. I didn't see how Mcnulty got his 2nd yellow with an incident with Keating. That was him off. Lathrope was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow with a challenge soon after. By this time the ref had completely lost control.
Then the other sending off when there player elbowed Gowling, the assistant gave that one and that was them down to 9.
All in all I was happy with a point, it was a good contest and you can certainly see that we have become more mentally stronger. I was a little disappointed with Gosling, he can play far better, McGinty as well, giving away silly fouls especially in the first 10-15 min. Pitman and Keating weren't as effective as they could be, there's something about Gray, he makes things happen and maybe he should get a start.

Sam Chaney was excellent at LB, so to all the doubters and the negative stuff that has been posted regarding him. Well done lad !!! Even to get up after that clattering.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Up front we appear a limited. Keating is a trier but limited I feel. Pittman, would have like to have seen more from him. Gray does seem to make things happen, also has a good spring and times his jumps well.
I disagree with Brucie, not pathetic, rather disappointing. We do look more of a team but as was said above, Tranmere managed the game well, particularly after the first sending off, it seemed to take us an age to get out of their half.
TUST number 080
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

brucie wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 18:16 I thought that was a good point - until I realized they were reduced to nine men. Typical Torquay I'm afraid - never a team to look a gift referee in the face. Failing to beat nine men is nothing sort of pathetic.
They had 9 men for 10 minutes, including added time. Of those ten minutes, they battened down the hatches playing with 1 person in our half whenever they got out of their area. We needlessly gave them opportunities to time waste by conceding set plays, which I agree is frustrating, but they were dropping like flies throughout and the ref was happy to give free kicks to both sides.

I'm actually pleasantly positive after that. I didn't see any friendlies but we have just matched everyone's favourite to romp to the title this year. The experience throughout the middle of the field is a godsend after the recent couple of seasons. Clarke was good in goal, Gowling a calming presence for the most part. Higgins and Chaney were great at full back, McGinty his usual self. Very prone to an error and his distribution is still of the no nonsense mindset. Higgins throw-in is an absolute weapon which is extremely useful!

Lathrope did well I thought, and I fully agreed with Nicholson's decision to remove him before he was sent. Klukowski is a big presence in midfield, Young looked fitter than ever which is great. Gosling was sharp too, especially when cutting in from the right. Keating and Pittman worked hard but struggled to really create many efforts at goal. I think it was 75 minutes before we actually forced their keeper into a save.

Regarding the red cards - I was stunned that both the referee and linesman looked like they were going to play on after that flying tackle on Chaney. I was deeply concerned when he tried walking only to fall down again. Thought that would have been a red if the ref had video replays. Seconds later, it was McNulty who was walking after a push on Keating. The second red, I didn't actually see it happen but I saw Gowling on the floor and the linesman flagging. He must have told the referee as he hadn't seen it, but dished out a red for Norwood. Cue Tranmere sticking to a back 5, 2 midfielders and Cook chasing shadows up top.

Klukowski had one off the line at the death which would have been the strangest goal as he passed it goal wards. On the whole, I'm content. Yes, we didn't put away a team with two less than us. It's a very rare situation to come up against, we didn't use it very effectively but Tranmere were good at slowing the game down. I'd be upset if we'd drawn 0-0 against 9 men at home to Maidenhead, for example, but I can't find myself grumbling at a hard earned point against Tranmere.

Finally good away turn out, decent home crowd too. Seemed like everyone was well up for it, which bodes well. Lets hope we can add some more points on the road next week.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A decent performance against a very tough physical team. We looked solid in defence , Gowling is a class act
his timing in challenges is excellent , he is not powerfully built but that doesnt seem to matter, he reads the game
well too, my MOTM. As soon as I saw who the ref was I groaned , we had him a few times last season and he was
shocking, no control at all
The disappointment was up front where yet again we look lightweight, where are you Rory ? Ok perhaps not, but we
need someone
We need some width from the fullbacks as we are not playing with wingers/wide midfielders, Higgins did quite well
and hopefully Davis will provide that, Chaney did ok defensively but is not a left wing back
Wont judge them on one performance especially against Tranmere but there are some encouraging signs that we
will be in for a better season
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Not bad, not good but not bad. GIving too much space to the Tranmere midfield, their passing was far too quick and slick for us at times and we were simply not sharp enough.
Impressed by Gowling and McGinty apart from the latter hoofing the ball so much but he isnt the only one guilty of that.
Gosling had some bright moments first half and early second, to be honest he looked like the onlyone capable of a bit of quality and could unlock the Tranmere defence.
I love Keatings rawness,endevour, enthusiasm, workrate and effort (not in a Courtney Richards shite footballer mould though), what he lacks in ability and composure he makes up for in other ways and gives the defence a torrid time in his own way. he must be a bloody nightmare to play against. A big negative was getting involved in some nonsesnse which led to the first sending off, it had all calmed down, Gowling had done a good job of that and something involving Keating stirred it up again.
We didnt really create anything, a lot due to the jittery, nervous, lacking in composure play which was our trademark in this game, all except one chance, space in midfield a flowing move accross the park, ball accross the six yard with goal gaping but nobody to tuck it away.
A game that we should have won playing against 10 then 9 men but when you evaluate overall and take into account Clarke was the busier keeper and Tranmere hid the woodwork, well a draw was probably fair and we would have took it before kick off.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Ref = Crap, odd decisions, and a lack of control, or perhaps over control... not sure... but crap.

Tranmere the better team and even with 10 looked dangerous, apart from one scuff shot that we had that was cleared off the line, we lacked substance and cohesion up front.

I will be there against Aldershot, a great spirit from all the players, like another forum member pointed out... we would have lost that game comfortably last season.

Point gained...
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Listened to it on the radio so just based upon what I heard but here are my impressions.

- Gowling and McGinty seemed to work very well together and will provide a solid central defence
- Clarke proved his worth when it counted
- If Lathrope can stay fit he will screen the back 4 well and allow Young a bit more freedom - lucky not to get sent off
- Gosling was very good when he was brought into the game which wasn't enough
- Pittman linked the play very well and brought others into it
- Keating was definitely the right choice to start against Tranmere - after the first 10 minutes under the cosh he was really the one that started to ease the pressure with his pace but also with his work rate and harrassing the centre backs. However I still question his effectiveness in front of goal and think he should have be subbed for Gray, rather than Pittman. I think against 'lesser' teams it should be Gray that starts as he looks to be our only convincing goalscorer
- Chaney did pretty well and makes decent reserve full back

Personally I think its an encouraging start and its hard to see us struggling - injuries aside we look to be solid and experienced from the back which should be a good platform. While its clear we lacked some cutting edge it was against the favourites and towards the end they simply showed their experience to shut the game down, while we seemed to show inexperience and were too hurried. As I say above when we are playing teams that we can compete with and can beat then Gray should start but listening to the game today it was really Keating's workrate that took the pressure off and caused Tranmere both to play deeper and also hurried them when they tried to play it out.