Final Game - North Ferriby @ 12:15

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SenorDingDong wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 19:56 Good god no, they might have come to life at the end and desire the plaudits for surviving but apart from the last month this season has been dire. Do I need to remind me of all the thrown away points, of those Guiseley and Sutton matches? Of the lack of mental strength Braintree/Dover/today aside? There's about 5/6 from the current squad that are worth keeping (Young, McGinty maybe, Williams, Moore, Sparkes, maybe Verma as a utility man, Keating) but we need a fresh start. Let them have their celebrations and then the club can go about building for a more successful future, pending resolving the GI issue.
I'm with Goody2514 and i would add Rowe-Turner, Gallifuoco, Chaney and Anderson to your list. Arcadia posted on another thread that what this team needs is an older head with a bit of football nous to crank things up in matches like the awful Sutton and Guiseley games. In other words, a leader. The other thing that has been missing is pace and movement which Lee and Keating have been providing in recent matches. But who knows what will happen next, and what budget will be made available for players next season?
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Was nice to make the trip down from Cardiff today for the game, my dad caught a 6am flight from Dublin to join me. Torquay looked good, although I feel probably helped by a not great opposition who rarely threatened the Torquay goal. Having seen the team play 3 times this season (Lincoln (H) and Braintree(H)), I cant really comment too much on the overall performance of team but I'd say most of the players who played today have a chance of being around the squad at least next year, possibly with the exception of Harrad when he came on. Agreed the fresh start would be nice, but at the end of the day, who would want to make the move down to Torquay if they've heard who we have as owners? Why not keep the basis of our squad currently and add a few to it so we can actually name subs every week.

Watched the game from the Babbacombe End, as a bit of a change (and we got there a little late!), was very strange, albeit nice in the first half. In the second half, it was rather difficult to tell what was actually going on, but was still able to film the first goal and the subsequent atmosphere and hooligans. Hopefully next year Newport can come down, and then I can add one cheap game to my list.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Really enjoyed the game today, and for the first time in a long time wasn't bored shitless, fantastic atmosphere . Great to see a big crowd in today, frustrating to think that's the potential support this club has, yet wasted time and time again over the last few years, by the last 3 boards, by some real inept management off the field, but hey, what's done is done.

Thought the team started nervously today, understandable, they weren't to know, they were never in danger at any point today of being relegated, took a long time to settle, after half time there was only ever going to be one winner, so nice to end the season off in style. Great to meet up with some old friends today also.

On the subject of Nicho, I've been a harsh critic this season, I make no apologies for that, I always try to be honest, Nicho to me has made an awful lot of mistakes, that nearly cost us dear, he is clearly learning from them, but I have to say, I listened and felt every word of what he said after the presentations, I thank him for his own honesty, and have new found respect for the man.

I would like to think he will get the support of the new owners for next season, support to match the sentiment of some, who think a few good additions to the current squad and we're in for great season next time around, sadly, I fear that is not going to happen, and Nicho will once again find himself shopping for a squad in basement bargins.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Aldershot attendance was 3977. So we had the biggest crowd of the day with 4026. Shows our potential if we can get back into promotion-winning ways (and/or a good Cup run). Anyway, the Shots are in the play-offs, so good luck to them.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There's no doubting our club has the ground, and all the potential for a promotion push, but, we need a truth and reality check and quick. You need good off the field management, you need investment in your squad, a squad with strength in depth (not based on fact) a player budget of at least £1.5 million, not a squad of 17 so thin we can't name a full bench of substitutes including the semi-retired manager.

You need players motivated by a proper contract, with a normal professional terms and conditions, not wages that means they can barely afford the bus fare to training let alone a car ( happening right now at TUFC)

The overwhelming majority of those who came yesterday will not be back come August, this time last season our fanbase got carried away, I was one of the few that kept my feet on the ground, and some need to do that now. I would love to be proved wrong, a promotion push next season is NOT going to happen, our club has been described a toxic by someone who really does know, and he is right.

Get your self's prepared now, for the same old, same old, I am, and as part of the 1500 will be there to support my club as always.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

forevertufc wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 08:34 There's no doubting our club has the ground, and all the potential for a promotion push, but, we need a truth and reality check and quick. You need good off the field management, you need investment in your squad, a squad with strength in depth (not based on fact) a player budget of at least £1.5 million, not a squad of 17 so thin we can't name a full bench of substitutes including the semi-retired manager.

You need players motivated by a proper contract, with a normal professional terms and conditions, not wages that means they can barely afford the bus fare to training let alone a car ( happening right now at TUFC)

The overwhelming majority of those who came yesterday will not be back come August, this time last season our fanbase got carried away, I was one of the few that kept my feet on the ground, and some need to do that now. I would love to be proved wrong, a promotion push next season is NOT going to happen, our club has been described a toxic by someone who really does know, and he is right.

Get your self's prepared now, for the same old, same old, I am, and as part of the 1500 will be there to support my club as always.
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having not been for almost a year I actually found myself having to make an effort to go yesterday, but having got there I found that I had missed it.

An excellent atmosphere - there is potential here no doubt about it. A smart little ground. To get more people there than Aldershot ( a team in the play offs) and I think York just shows the potential.

Say what you want but this club should not be scraping around the bottom of this league two seasons in a row. Its not that we are any good but in general the quality of the opposition on offer is just so poor that we should be getting more points than what we are ending up with.
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

Gutted to have missed yesterday's match but pure relief when checking my phone for updates. A season of total inconsistency especially against the lower teams but a glimmer of positive hope from several of the final games. Respect to Nicho for persevering and I am sure he has learned so much this season having been battered from every possible angle. But as the posts say, how do we move on for next year? Agree with most of names to be retained and I definitely think Rowe-Turner should be one as he has improved so much. He covers so much ground, now has the football brain to cover at the back when other defenders are pulled out of position. Also has made more good runs down the wing. Sorry to say I don't think Chaney has improved but he is still young. Will be interesting to see who goes in the clear-out and what support Nicho will get but I'll be watching for when the season tickets go on sale as I'll be there for sure next season.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Wow! What an amazing afternoon.

I hope it wasn't lost on GI that if they invest in the squad it could be something like that every home game.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Brucie, or anyone else on the Pop side towards the Ellacombe end - just to put my mind at rest, did you think that was a penalty when Lee was pushed over from behind in the second half? From where we were on the half-way line, it looked a dead cert penalty. The linesman had the best view but didn't give it. Having said that, no criticism of the ref and linesmen yesterday. I thought they did a good job in a highly charged atmosphere.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Just got back to Essex.
Great weekend.
Well done to all the players, manager & fans.
Wonderful to see 4,000 Torquay fans in Plainmoor. Most of our largest crowds in recent years have been boosted by large way followings.
The potential is there.
One battle won, now we have to save the club from GI.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What a result, too right the players where nervous in the 1st half, they are human beings just like the 4026 of us who where more nervous. The crowd yesterday was superb, and that could be every match if the owners clean their lens and want to run a well run business ( well we can hope). Ok, the smoke bomb was idiotic and likewise trying to fight with the stewards, but let's face it was dealt with quickly and isolated in comparison to the overall crowd, who where superb. Fair play to the fans from north ferriby, I reckon they took 60-80. We need to give Nicholson another pre-season and a budget and stability he has lacked. This guy bleeds yellow. Well done Kevin and the entire team.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Tomogull - I had forgotten all about the penalty with all the shenanigans. That was the only time in the game that I began to get a little irate and started to think that maybe it wasn't our day.

I was bang in line with it. Lee had got past his man and was free in the box. A definite penalty if ever there was one. What I cannot understand is how the linesman didn't give it. Luckily it didn't make a jot of difference in the end.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 17:17 Tomogull - I had forgotten all about the penalty with all the shenanigans. That was the only time in the game that I began to get a little irate and started to think that maybe it wasn't our day.

I was bang in line with it. Lee had got past his man and was free in the box. A definite penalty if ever there was one. What I cannot understand is how the linesman didn't give it. Luckily it didn't make a jot of difference in the end.
Yes - that's exactly how I saw it from where I was standing. Thanks for putting my mind at rest ! Glad you and your son enjoyed the match.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Really enjoyed yesterdays game, mainly because we got the result we needed rather than the actual match itself. The last few matches prove that, at this level you don't need the most gifted team to win more than you lose. Should we want to push on next season and challenge for a play off spot we will need a bit more quality up front that perhaps Williams has provided over the last couple of games. Signing a striker that will provide the quality needed consistently will cost a lot more than our current budget as will an experienced midfielder. The new owners will be showing their hand over the next month, and then we will know for sure how seriously they take the club. Clarke Osbourne took a seat in front of me in Bristow bench yesterday for the first half and seemed to kick every ball with the team. Would I trust GI with the freehold of Plainmoor. My gut feeling at this stage is no. I for one will enjoy the weekend and hope for the best over the coming weeks. For now, congratulations to Kevin and the team for the last months performances but the question must be 'what were you playing at before?'