Dover Athletic v Torquay United 22/4/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Was nervous wrecķ listening to that, Gullintwoplaces sums me up too, 62 going on 86 !
Must not relax for a minute next week thinking we have done it, already relegated teams are dangerous
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Been in the pub since 5pm after spending a gut wrenching 45 mins on my phone and listening to Alan Richardson - lets be fair when this bloke gets excited you know that you have achieved something special.

Was going write a long spiel but I'm not. Lets just enjoy tonight. For people like Glostergull - not in the best of health but trying to get to the game today. I don't know whether you made it or not but I salute you sir.

This result was for you especially, and everyone else who uses this forum - I love you all and the best thing is I know you are all feeling as happy as I do tonight.

I know we have only beaten a bunch of part timers but it could have been a team of girl guides for all I care. A TRULY MAGNIFICENT RESULT.

Its only natural to start fretting about next week but at one minute to three today we would have bitten both a blind mans hands off to be in this position.

FANTASTIC.
Barrya48
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brett williams

Post by Barrya48 »

Thank all of you, especially Garry, who had a drink with us in Wetherspoons in Aldershot,
I was always A fan of Brett, and would vote him Shots player of the season after today❤️😄😄
Seriously I hope you stay up, and if we don't , look forward to meeting you all again next year
BUT WITH 4 more points, great season and 2 tough but enjoyable games.
Cheers Barry
Barrya48
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brett williams

Post by Barrya48 »

Just looked at table, we get 1point sat and job done for both us, Happy Days
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

brucie wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 19:13 Been in the pub since 5pm after spending a gut wrenching 45 mins on my phone and listening to Alan Richardson - lets be fair when this bloke gets excited you know that you have achieved something special.

Was going write a long spiel but I'm not. Lets just enjoy tonight. For people like Glostergull - not in the best of health but trying to get to the game today. I don't know whether you made it or not but I salute you sir.

This result was for you especially, and everyone else who uses this forum - I love you all and the best thing is I know you are all feeling as happy as I do tonight.

I know we have only beaten a bunch of part timers but it could have been a team of girl guides for all I care. A TRULY MAGNIFICENT RESULT.

Its only natural to start fretting about next week but at one minute to three today we would have bitten both a blind mans hands off to be in this position.

FANTASTIC.
That's the happiest post I've seen from you in years, must be the pubs atsmosphere! 😉
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not quite for TUFC, York are on 49 points, so to be sure Torquay must win next week.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

forevertufc wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 19:25 Not quite for TUFC, York are on 49 points, so to be sure Torquay must win next week.
Tbh I'd much rather be in this situation, only needing a draw to achieve something is a dangerous situation which can lead to players turning off and not performing properly. Needing a win keeps them focused and motivated regardless of what is happening elsewhere.

Only needing a draw would be especially dangerous against an already relegated team.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Win We are safe

Draw Braintree can't catch us.
Guiseley & York would both need to win.

Lose There are 27 (yes 27) permutations
16 result in us being safe.
The other 11 can be seen below.

The 11 results that we dare not think about.
7 would need two from Braintree, York and Guiseley to win.
Braintree - Away to Aldershot
York - Home to Forest Green
Guiseley - Home to Solihull

B Y G B Y G
W W W Down 51 52 53
W W D Down 51 52 51
W W L Down 51 52 50
W D W Down 51 50 53
W D D Down 51 50 51
W D L Safe 51 50 50
W L W Down 51 49 53
W L D Down 51 49 51
W L L Safe 51 49 50
D W W Down 49 52 53
D W D Down 49 52 51
D W L Safe 49 52 50
D D W Safe 49 50 53
D D D Safe 49 50 51
D D L Safe 49 50 50
D L W Safe 49 49 53
D L D Safe 49 49 51
D L L Safe 49 49 50
L W W Down 48 52 53
L W D Down 48 52 51
L W L Safe 48 52 50
L D W Safe 48 50 53
L D D Safe 48 50 51
L D L Safe 48 50 50
L L W Safe 48 49 53
L L D Safe 48 49 51
L L L Safe 48 49 50
Last edited by Nick Potkins on 22 Apr 2017, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Remaining Games:

York City vs Forest Green - On paper looks to be a tough game but FGR have nothing to play for in it, they already know they're going to be playing Dag an Red in the play-offs. They've looked like they're already focusing upon the play-offs having lost to Southport and drawn with Maidstone in their last two matches.
Guiseley vs Solihull - Again Solihull have nothing to play for but have won their past two games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Solihull win given both teams form but I wouldn't put any money on it at all.
Aldershot vs Braintree - Only game where something may be riding on it. If Dover win both their last two games they can still jump Aldershot into the play-offs, so Aldershot will want to win this.

So looking at it, we absolutely have to go for the win. Only Braintree look likely to lose their game.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SenorDingDong wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 19:34 Remaining Games:

York City vs Forest Green - On paper looks to be a tough game but FGR have nothing to play for in it, they already know they're going to be playing Dag an Red in the play-offs. They've looked like they're already focusing upon the play-offs having lost to Southport and drawn with Maidstone in their last two matches.
Guiseley vs Solihull - Again Solihull have nothing to play for but have won their past two games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Solihull win given both teams form but I wouldn't put any money on it at all.
Aldershot vs Braintree - Only game where something may be riding on it. If Dover win both their last two games they can still jump Aldershot into the play-offs, so Aldershot will want to win this.

So looking at it, we absolutely have to go for the win. Only Braintree look likely to lose their game.

Disagree about FGR.
If they lose and D&R win, then D&R would play away in the first leg.
I'm pretty sure that FGR would want to do that, so they will go to York to win.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

So glad I went today. That felt special. Let's finish the job.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

''Love United. Hate GI''

So proud of those last two results following the Guardian's article, which as I suggested in hope has galvanised the team and unified the supporters. Wouldn't it be so Torquay to lose on Saturday?

Fingers crossed we get the job done on Saturday, no complacency.

Nail biting stuff today, I didn't enjoy it, bar the goals and final whistle.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 19:33 Win We are safe

Draw Braintree can't catch us.
Guiseley & York would both need to win.

Lose There are 27 (yes 27) permutations
16 result in us being safe.
The other 11 can be seen below.

The 11 results that we dare not think about.
7 would need two from Braintree, York and Guiseley to win.
Braintree - Away to Aldershot
York - Home to Forest Green
Guiseley - Home to Solihull

B Y G B Y G
W W W Down 51 52 53
W W D Down 51 52 51
W W L Down 51 52 50
W D W Down 51 50 53
W D D Down 51 50 51
W D L Safe 51 50 50
W L W Down 51 49 53
W L D Down 51 49 51
W L L Safe 51 49 50
D W W Down 49 52 53
D W D Down 49 52 51
D W L Safe 49 52 50
D D W Safe 49 50 53
D D D Safe 49 50 51
D D L Safe 49 50 50
D L W Safe 49 49 53
D L D Safe 49 49 51
D L L Safe 49 49 50
L W W Down 48 52 53
L W D Down 48 52 51
L W L Safe 48 52 50
L D W Safe 48 50 53
L D D Safe 48 50 51
L D L Safe 48 50 50
L L W Safe 48 49 53
L L D Safe 48 49 51
L L L Safe 48 49 50
I'm so happy what a result

Good work but this is mind frying......

Let's just win so much simpler
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 19:13 Been in the pub since 5pm after spending a gut wrenching 45 mins on my phone and listening to Alan Richardson - lets be fair when this bloke gets excited you know that you have achieved something special.

FANTASTIC.

You would have enjoyed the game, glad to see you so happy. I'd buy you a pint to celebrate the win if you were nearer ;-)

.......and no, I'm not counting my chickens just yet!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sexton Blake
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Sexton Blake »

Grecian in peace brilliant result for you delighted for the team, Nicholson and for all you faithful Gulls......the great escape really is on now. Looking forward to seeing you back where you belong in the EFL again soon.