Torquay v Braintree Easter Monday

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Train ticket booked to come up for my first game of the season, incredibly nervous but also full of hope. Are the singers still right next to the steps in the popside?

I think it's gonna be a tight, nervous affair. A 1-0 win with the scrappiest, most controversial goal would do me fine, but I fear for our defence. We just gotta try and keep the atmosphere positive if we concede and try and get the players to feel the passion that we all feel for the club. The blame game and GI problems have no place tomorrow, it should all be about doing everything we can to get the team to win.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This is the kind of fixture we have been cocking up all season. Home defeats to the likes of boreham wood, guisley, Maidstone, Southport, Sutton and Woking; and I cannot see any reason that is going to change tomorrow. We need at least 7 more points to said a remote chance of survival and I cannot see it happening. My prediction is a 1-1 draw.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes that is the worry but we are due a home win. I would play Williams but Nicho wont
Expect the same side but hopefully Sparkes in for Lee. But please lets not have it lumped long all
afternoon, get it wide and get in first on those crosses like you really mean it, gamble, anticipate dont
wait for the ball to come to you !
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Dare I ask what the permutations are on this one? I mean, obviously, we desperately want to win today, but I'm assuming we're not necessarily down if we lose nor safe if we win?
TUST member 203
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

To KN and the players. Go and prove everyone wrong, if nothing else go out with all guns blazing! Do yer best and fight for every ball.

BEST OF LUCK GUYS!!!
TUST MEMBER
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Agreed, Torquay United has been up against it. I think it will be down to a bit of luck but lets get out there and win the individual battles and change the odds in our favour.

Come on United!
TUST number 080
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

divingbboy wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 09:20 Dare I ask what the permutations are on this one? I mean, obviously, we desperately want to win today, but I'm assuming we're not necessarily down if we lose nor safe if we win?
You could look at the table and do some very simple maths?

If we lose today, the highest points total we can get is 50, which means if there from Solihull, Woking, York or Guisley win, we are down. If we lose and that doesn't happen, technically we can still catch them.

If we win, Braintree will be one point ahead of us, the other four will be anywhere between 1 and 5 points ahead of us, depending on their results, with 6 points to play for.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

divingbboy wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 09:20 Dare I ask what the permutations are on this one? I mean, obviously, we desperately want to win today, but I'm assuming we're not necessarily down if we lose nor safe if we win?
Been looking at this myself .... we can be relegated TODAY if we lose. :'( :'(

Clearly, if we (44pts) lose to Braintree (48 but a win will take them to 51) it would mean that with just two games left we can't catch them.

By my reckoning though if THREE of these results go the wrong way for us then we are down ...

Macclesfield v Solihull
Chester v Woking
York v Wrexham
Guiseley v Tranmere

If three or more of the teams in bold win ( and we lose) we are relegated today.
Last edited by CP Gull on 17 Apr 2017, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Whatever today's result in the words of Albert Einstein

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning -
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We will win today if:
We play with passion and 100% commitment
We avoid a Red Card
Nicho plays Williams who loves to be a hero.
We take the chances we create.
The fans back the team from start to finish.
2-0 United.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

portugull wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 10:22 We will win today if:
We play with passion and 100% commitment
We avoid a Red Card
Nicho plays Williams who loves to be a hero.
We take the chances we create.
The fans back the team from start to finish.
2-0 United.
And our only Keeper is not injured or sent off.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We will win if we actually shoot at the goal instead of our usual high and wide; it is notable from other national league matches that teams earn tap-in goals from rebounds off the keepers, and yet we often do not force the keeper to make a save.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

after being immensely encouraged by our battling display at lincon i am going to go for us to get the win we need to stay in the fight, 2-0

i also dont think that any of our rivals will win, can see york drawing and the other three relevant ones all losing! lets hope for once, that my predictions are spot on!! i've backed the same 55/1!
still keeping the faith
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Is it just me or are anyone able to find the Torquay - Braintree game here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/39592029

I have just three choices...
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes its on there - arrow the games to the right (top right of the page) and you will get it