Torquay v Braintree Easter Monday

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

those two, guiseley and york were the ones you'd have placed good money on to be ok, with their current form, solihull have been dreadful. its still very very worrying but we know that all four of those can't win both their games, whereas we can!
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 17 Apr 2017, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Cheers Scott
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

What a performance and what an atmosphere. Well done guys.

Osborne and Co - I hope you saw today what the club means to the fans.

Job not done yet but two more performances like that and we'll be fine. Keep positive guys!!!!
Gull on sea
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Gull on sea »

4 points should be enough,GD will help as well. Fingers crossed Dover have an off day. Feeling a lot more confident now :scarf:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Zippy wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 17:16 great result but a little to late, dover away, can we get anything from this ? I would doubt it but as we are talking about Torquay then anything is possible.
I still think we will go down, I hope I'm wrong and yes I'm sure it will go down to the last game. very sad that it has come to this, but what ever happens, stay up or go down there has to be massive changes booth managerial and player wise, the club cannot go through another season like the last two.
Great game - great result we still live in hope!

If we do go down the operative word is 'will' not 'has' to be massive changes - part-time club with player on £50 a week picked from the South Devon League with Harrop in charge. As loyal a supporter as I am, will I pay £15 to go an see that level of football - errr I don't think so, well not on a regular basis anyway.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

hard to be positive after this season SNW, ive tried to be for the last 52 seasons !
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Fantastic game, huge stress levels involved for all.
A word about the crowd, rightly or wrongly they let everyone know their support for Kevin Nicholson.
Even GI can't have mistaken it.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

The players were immense today, never stopped going, despite a ref who was clueless and wanted to be the centre of everything.

The ground was buzzing and stuck with them right to the end cheering our lads to an all important third goal. It was great to be part of such a partisan crowd.

The front three of Williams, Keating and Reid worked tirelessly.

Special mention to the stewards as well who allowed the supporter who ran onto the pitch when we scored to be dragged back onto the popside by the celebrating fans. It was a common sense decision that, although against the rule book, stopped things from turning sour like the other week. Fair play.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

and I have for more than 60 seasons so far.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

brucie wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 12:48 I have thought long and hard about going to this game but have decided against it. Try as I might I just can't see us winning this one.

The pressure is firmly on us tomorrow and as has been said it is just the sort of game we have been losing all season. The issue for me is the sort of acceptance that we will beat Braintree because we have performed well in the last two games.

When poor teams play well but lose games from a winning position it has been proved since time began that they probably will fail in a so called easier game that follows.

I just hope we can get the result tomorrow, I really do. We are back in with a shout if we can do it. Get a win tomorrow and we have a one game cup final at Dover.

Two wins in the next two games and we will stay up
Please continue to stay away!
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Chris B wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 16:47 Horrible feeling there's going to be another goal...
Thankfully that goal went the right way!

Brilliant effort from the team, and an excellent attendance to cheer them onto the win. :bow:

Dover away is going to be a really tough test, and other results continue to make life difficult, but incredibly proud to be a Gull tonight! :scarf:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Have to say i was disappointed with the start we were definitely slow out of the blocks and duly punished by a poor goal after giving away needless freekicks.

However despite Braintree going to a more defensive shape and the ref being a knob we fought back with brilliant passion.

Williams although up to his usual trick of trying to play the man not the ball took the leveler well after the offside/onside goal

Braintree had their spell in the 2nd half were they hit the bar but i dont recall Moore having to make a great save at any point, he had to take a few crosses under pressure.

Reids chance was a shame would have been nice for him to get a goal - he definitely lacks belief at the moment

But he kept going and created the chance which Lee tucked away.

On the topic of Lee i thought he was excellent 2nd half, was a real outlet down the right hand side

MoM for me was Keating - outstanding desire all game
Ref & Linesmen buffoons
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

It'll be interesting to see the replay of that offside call! I wasn't in a great position to judge but not sure why it took a good minute and a discussion with the ref after the goal was scored to make the decision. Glad it didn't matter too much in the end, if anything it spurred the lads on more.

Once again we see another whistle happy ref with an inability to let the game flow, very frustrating.

Pleased with the performance today, true determination shown and everyone played their part. It ain't over yet! COYY!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Sounded like a fantastic atmosphere today. A crowd of 2600 is incredible in the circumstances but just confirms the potential we have and is more confirmation that we should just not be in the position that we are.

Whatever your feelings are on the players and management, given that we are playing matches with probably less than a half of a realistic bench you have got to say we have made a fair effort to get out of trouble really. You can't help feeling that over the last half a dozen matches we could quite easily have achieved a point or two more.

Dover is a tough place to go for sure and the odds might be stacked against us but as I said its a one game cup final so anything can happen - the league isn't the greatest that's.

Whilst it looked all up today I feel that we are ninety minutes away from staying up. Win at Dover and we will get in excess of 4000 for the last match.

The supporters just don't deserve those who are in charge of the club. Days like today make you realise what a crying shame it really is.
Last edited by brucie on 17 Apr 2017, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Massive well done to Nicholson and the team today, we could quite easily have fallen apart going 1-0 down. Shows fight and desire in the team. Forget other results, we have no control on them, what we can control is own results. I and many thought aldershot was a hiding to nothing, likewise Lincoln ( they did to Gateshead today in identical manner to us). Dover is hardly playing Real Madrid. We have to go there and perform, a draw would be great. On to today, job done. COYY
Lucy