Lincoln v Torquay 14/04

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We've stayed in Lincoln tonight and every one of their fans I've spoken to has said we played well and they hope we stay up. I haven't been to most of the games this season but have been to the last three and if we'd played with that commitment against the bottom few teams we would surely be safe by now.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

The fat lady is taking a deep breath ready for her song.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I was at the game today watching from a privileged position just behind the directors box with a perfect overview of all that happened ~ not some low level corner view ~ and also had a quick few words with Danny Racchi at half-time who expressed his view that we had to play to win the game not draw it.....

Well at 86 minutes we had won the game on the pitch but were losing if in the technical area and by the final whistle thanks to the incompetence down there we had lost the three points to add to the two chucked away at Aldershot last Saturday.

When something's not broken and there is only a very short period to go don't change it. Don't send on a donkey to do a pit pony's job and immediately see that donkey give away the free kick that lost us the match.

Rhead had won all the ball in the air and on his chest all day but lost it all on the ground to Lathrope who shadowed him so well in open play ~ handing him over to the hapless Galliafuoco at re-starts who never got near him then ~ and of course when Lathrope was gone there was no-one to close him down and he laid the ball off for the first goal with Gerring nowhere near him and even then I wasn't entirely happy that Moore failed to show strong wrists and tip the shot for a corner but instead parried it back out to an inrushing team mate......1-1

All match the technical area battle was dominated by the physical presence and intimidation of City's goalkeeping coach Jim Walker and the drama queen that has always been Danny Cowley. Hence the home team had everything given to them whilst the timid Robbie Herrera looked on like a Sylvan animal figure even allowing his boss who was one of the subs to risk yellow cards to go ranting at the fourth official and lino when it should clearly be his job......earn your feckin' money on a match day Herrera you're next to useless!

I thought the players played like heroes today given their obvious shortcomings and limitations but they were as the lions led by donkeys of the First World War in a theatre of glorification of war atrocity with it's sickening Dam Buster music and tasteless air raid siren. I detest that intrusion into sport at places like this and if one of Kim Il Sung's wayward missiles wipes out Sincil Bank in an orange flash next week I'll be laughing my bollock's off!

Dambusters my arse!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

desperado wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 19:25 You left out Keating , he must be offered a contract , he could score a hatful in the Nat South
He'll 100% be playing for another National League team next season. If we'd stayed up we might have had a chance to keep him, even for less wages than elsewhere, due to him feeling grateful for getting his chance but having scored 3 and looked generally impressive, he'll have a list of NL teams wanting to sign him up as a developing 3rd striker or as a starter for a lower half table.

As for today, I really don't want to talk about it. Another match thrown away by inept management and gutless mental dwarves of players. We're down, it's over. The battle now turns to saving the club from GI and pressuring them into doing the right thing next season - either staying full time or setting up a base in Bristol if we go part-time - that's if they haven't already got the freehold by then and are starting to kill the club.
Sincil Bank
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jim McNichol

Post by Sincil Bank »

merse btpir wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 23:56
I thought the players played like heroes today given their obvious shortcomings and limitations but they were as the lions led by donkeys of the First World War in a theatre of glorification of war atrocity with it's sickening Dam Buster music and tasteless air raid siren. I detest that intrusion into sport at places like this and if one of Kim Il Sung's wayward missiles wipes out Sincil Bank in an orange flash next week I'll be laughing my bollock's off!

Dambusters my arse!
Ah, what a warm and caring soul, expressing an odd contradiction of emotions...

However, I won't tarnish you all with the same brush. Despite my delight as Habergham's free kick went in, I did feel a bit for you folks. As a Lincoln supporter I'm used to chronic underachievement and relegation struggles so I know what it feels like. I think you came and did your club credit yesterday.

I hope you stay up. Put your home record behind you and get the required wins. I also hope that wherever you are next season you get a chance to re-build and start challenging at the right end of the table.

I'm pleased that standupsitdown had some decent feedback during his stay in Lincoln. I honestly think the vast majority of our supporters would want Torquay to survive.

Good Luck!!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Lincoln: one of those places where they take their mind off football to sing about war in direct contrast to the soldiers in the trenches who stopped warring to play football ~ says it all.

An estimated 600 civilians and an estimated thousand allied POWs and forced labour prisoners drowned as a result of the Dambuster raids in 1943. It's nothing to crow about and happened 74 years ago ~ get over it. You're celebrating a thousand 'own goals' you fools!

A better way forward
Sincil Bank
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jim McNichol

Post by Sincil Bank »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 07:58 Lincoln: one of those places where they take their mind off football to sing about war in direct contrast to the soldiers in the trenches who stopped warring to play football ~ says it all.

An estimated 600 civilians and an estimated thousand allied POWs and forced labour prisoners drowned as a result of the Dambuster raids in 1943. It's nothing to crow about and happened 74 years ago ~ get over it. You're celebrating a thousand 'own goals' you fools!

A better way forward
...yes, because we all think in exactly the same way. Every single one of us. Nobody in Lincoln is capable of independent thought...

...but despite your incredulity that we are stuck in that thought pattern you're happy throw in a comment about Sincil Bank being wiped off the face of the earth and this causing you amusement. I'll put your muddled thinking down being a little traumatised after yesterday.

I stand by my assertion that I sincerely hope you stay up. Genuine fans of Torquay United deserve better than they are currently putting up with.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Sincil Bank wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 08:19 ...yes, because we all think in exactly the same way. Every single one of us. Nobody in Lincoln is capable of independent thought...

...but despite your incredulity that we are stuck in that thought pattern you're happy throw in a comment about Sincil Bank being wiped off the face of the earth and this causing you amusement. I'll put your muddled thinking down being a little traumatised after yesterday.

I stand by my assertion that I sincerely hope you stay up. Genuine fans of Torquay United deserve better than they are currently putting up with.
Don't take it personally, he's like that with everyone. Its called senility.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No....take it personally. That sort of shit has been embarrassing English football fans all over the world for decades.

It's fecking offensive and stupid to be glorifying bombing people; obnoxious and infantile.

I feel very strongly about this; this is your own football club promoting this rubbish which is so needless ~ you've got a nice stadium, a great team and look to be going places. Why all that shit?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 12:32 No....take it personally. That sort of shit has been embarrassing English football fans all over the world for decades.

It's fecking offensive and stupid to be glorifying bombing people; obnoxious and infantile.

I feel very strongly about this; this is your own football club promoting this rubbish which is so needless ~ you've got a nice stadium, a great team and look to be going places. Why all that shit?
I would agree with you when it is 'sung' in German football stadiums by English fans. That is just the puerile utterrings of a people who never came to terms with the post war, end of empire, era.

I believe Lincoln city do it because the Lancaster bomber in the battle of Britain flight is called the city of Lincoln, although it took no part in the dam busters raid.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

What you say might be right; but the smile would have been on the other side of their faces if the Luftwaffe had done to their city what the RAF did to Dresden and they had lost their magnificent cathedral.

You don't see the people of Plymouth or Coventry being so purile.

Dortmund, Bochum, Essen, Mülheim and Duisburg has plenty to remember and can educate anybody as to the dreadful 'Dambuster' devastation to the elderly civilians, and children who did not escape the flooding brought about to take out the munitions factories and paid for it with their lives.

No need for it; not seventy odd years after the event.
Last edited by merse btpir on 15 Apr 2017, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am still completely pissed off by yesterdays events. Havn't listened to full commentary for ages - that's why its actually bad for your health. The radio devon commentator was a moron. A complete cretin. Leroy Rowe-Taylor. Damon Lath-Rope. What a **** idiot that bloke was.

At half time they forgot to turn the mike off. This muppet was boring someone else stupid saying that he had never watched Torquay before and was still learning their names. Jesus you couldn't make it up. Then they got technical problems at the start of the second half and switched to the Exeter game.

I have a two monitor set up (for the horse racing trading) and was watching flashscores on the second screen for the other results. Flashscores seemed to be about a minute in front of the radio devon feed and I knew that Torquay had scored before the commentary. I was already on my way to Plainmoor to see us all but seal safety on Monday.

Unfortunately the Lincoln winner flashed up on the screen and compounded the agony as the free kick went in about 45 seconds later, which just seemed to make the whole thing worse. I turned it off at this stage, not being able to take anymore.

If there was a society for the prevention of cruelty to football supporters Torquay United would have been had up long ago!
Impvasion
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Impvasion »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 13:00 I would agree with you when it is 'sung' in German football stadiums by English fans. That is just the puerile utterrings of a people who never came to terms with the post war, end of empire, era.

I believe Lincoln city do it because the Lancaster bomber in the battle of Britain flight is called the city of Lincoln, although it took no part in the dam busters raid.
Well done on yesterdays performance, it deserved more (as a long suffering Imp, I have seen the Imps on the end of countless defeats similar to what you suffered yesterday) and if you play like that in your remaining three fixtures you should avoid the drop.

The club is inextricably associated with the RAF and the county is known as "Bomber County" due to the proliferation of RAF bases close to the City. The Dambusters March has been associated with the club for well over 30 years. Its not about the glorification of war but about local identity.

Take a peak at this:

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/dambu ... story.html
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yes I'm aware of that; Johnny Jonhson a true war hero and enjoy your heritage. Those guys who flew in those bombers were so brave, selfless and had to do what had to be done to win a war against tyranny and racism.

I just don't think air raid sirens and the accompanying revelry have any place at a sporting event; that's my personal opinion and the other is I find continual revelling in those events offensive....again, my personal view and having travelled in the area devastated by that operation, taken time out to learn the full story and thanking my lucky stars I was born less than a decade after that conflict, I'm only too aware of how lucky I am not to have been in peril from WW2.

It could all so easily been the other way round; especially with all those bomber bases around your city.