Lincoln v Torquay 14/04

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

I think bringing Gerring on for Lathrope was the game changer today - Lathrope had played really well in his screening role, as had both Anderson and McGinty. I know why Nicholson did it but why change it when we were really going well at the time? It was, I think I am correct in saying, a clumsy challenge from Gerring that gave them the free kick on the edge of the box with two minutes to go - you just knew, with the quality that Habergham has, that it was likely to prove costly and so it did!

I cannot see us getting out of this now, we have had it, but as well as we played in defeat at the champions elect Lincoln today, it was not today that has (probably) sealed our fate it is all those truly shocking performances against the poorer sides in this League and all the points we have just chucked away - all those "doubles" we have suffered at the hands of the likes of Sutton, Guiseley, Maidstone, Woking, ... just not acceptable.

If, as seems likely, we do go down, at least we can start with a completely fresh start with a new squad and a new management team - whether that will be a full time professional one .... who knows?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

What a blow that was.

The main fault of our season has been our inability to see a game through when taking the lead, every time it's a 'we won't hold on' situation and it's killed us... Guiesley, Sutton, Aldershot and now Lincoln to name a few.

Sad sad times but still 9 points to play for and nothing is impossible right now.

COYY
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Only a root and branch clear out of the playing side of the club - although I'd like to see Young & Sparkes next season but accept they'll be looking for a new club - is going to bring a change of fortune but the two big questions are: will we be full-time or part-time and what kind of budget will Clarke Osborne provide? Moving the training elsewhere to say Bristol might well just allow a better quality player - well for National South level - to be signed.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

You left out Keating , he must be offered a contract , he could score a hatful in the Nat South
Beckhall imp
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Keating

Post by Beckhall imp »

Imps fan in peace. Really hope you stay up. I thought you played really well today. We did not have our A game but that could be you had done your homework and stopped us from playing. A draw would have been a fair result. If you play your last games like that I think you should survive. God luck.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

standupsitdown wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 17:47 Don't blame the players or manager today. We played very well after weathering Lincoln's initial onslaught and didn't deserve to lose. If we hadn't scored I don't think Lincoln would have done either but it spurred them to step up a gear.
And therein lies the problem....... Lincoln (and so many other teams we have lost to) have ANOTHER GEAR .......our manager and team does not.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dutchgull wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 16:48 As Racchi says NO CONCENTRATION !! URGH

He's wrong.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Beckhall imp wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 19:43 Imps fan in peace. Really hope you stay up. I thought you played really well today. We did not have our A game but that could be you had done your homework and stopped us from playing. A draw would have been a fair result. If you play your last games like that I think you should survive. God luck.
Just got in.
Football is a cruel game.
Absolutely gutted. Disagree with you Beckhall imp - you didn't even deserve a draw.
I thought the team from 1-17 were excellent and carried out the game plan to the letter.
So so disappointed for them after that excellent effort - made Lincoln look very ordinary today.
That's f*cked up my Easter so far.
Can't be arsed to write anything else.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 20:09 Just got in.
Football is a cruel game.
Absolutely gutted. Disagree with you Beckhall imp - you didn't even deserve a draw.
I thought the team from 1-17 were excellent and carried out the game plan to the letter.
So so disappointed for them after that excellent effort - made Lincoln look very ordinary today.
That's f*cked up my Easter so far.
Can't be arsed to write anything else.
Good to hear from someone at the game,

I'm not going to relinquish belief in Nicho, relegation is squarely GI and the previous regimes fault

Braintree cant come soon enough IMO
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yes - hugely diasappointing today to let the game slip in the final five minutes or so. But let's be realistic - none of us really expected anything against Lincoln. The table looks daunting tonight but it is still two of four from us, Braintree, Solihull and Guiseley. Solihull and Guiseley play each other on the last day of the season and Guiseley are home to Tranmere on Monday. We still have a favourable goal difference, but we MUST win our two remaining home games. Keep the optimism !
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Hate to be negative but last time we won at home was January 28.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Lincoln are top of the League, we are in the relegation zone. Did anyone seriously believe we would come away with any points today? Yes we played well but yes we gave the game away - again!

Our record over the season tells the truth regarding our abilities and shortcomings. We still have a chance, but we must win two of our remaining games, and we must support the lads all the way. We can still survive!

When the season ends, then will be the time for a full review of the situation, not before.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Gullscorer wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 21:38 Lincoln are top of the League, we are in the relegation zone. Did anyone seriously believe we would come away with any points today? Yes we played well but yes we gave the game away - again!

Our record over the season tells the truth regarding our abilities and shortcomings. We still have a chance, but we must win two of our remaining games, and we must support the lads all the way. We can still survive!

When the season ends, then will be the time for a full review of the situation, not before.
So just what are you expecting from this "review"?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Expect nothing until a review has taken place. Otherwise it's a bit like a jury making a decision before the end of the trial. Of course we shall all be forming various opinions in our minds, but the time to discuss them is after we've played all our remaining games, not before. No doubt, of course, that the results of a supporters' review will be somewhat different from the owners' review..
Last edited by Gullscorer on 14 Apr 2017, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Absolutely devastated by todays defeat. Not beause we lost (I think we all expected to lose) but by the manner of it. Yet again we could not see a game out and the manager has made a strange substitution when Lathrope was apparently playing well.

We have three games left and many are still trying to be positive but the reality is that its not just us who need points to stay up. There are other teams involved and they will all be fighting, with the exception possibly of Solihull who appear to be in freefall. Even if we win on Monday, a victory for one or two others and we'll still be deep in the mire.

Relegation will not come as a result of the last few games, it will come after the vast number of defeats throughout the season against teams we believed were inferior to us but in reality were far better organised, had far better talent, had far better team spirit and had much more fight.

I'll be there on Monday and for the Ferriby game but, like the rest of these past few years, I'm not going to enjoy it.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.