Aldershot v Torquay 8/4/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

That was a fantastic performance today against the odds. Cannot believe that subs' bench. GI are destroying Torquay more than even the owners of Charlton, Coventry, and Blackpool who all get so much media attention. But that aside, I thought today was a real battling performance and a well earned point, which might have been a win if Aldershot had done the decent thing and played the ball back to Moore after he kicked it out of play for a throw in. The whole sequence of events after that led up to their goal from the free kick. If the team plays like that against Ferriby and Braintree they are safe. I am going to Lincoln next week and not expecting much but any team that fights as hard as today will be hard to beat. Well done, despite all the obstacles placed in front of this threadbare team.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A really good point a shame about points dropped over the last few weeks we might have been safe.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

stephen breed wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 21:48 Not wishing to divert attention from a great point today well done nico and the boys but a couple of posts earlier I feel I need to answer and state the facts... Dave Phillips did not receive a penny back from g I from any investment he made into the club neither did the Balsons or the kerswells they all did there cash plain and simple in fact dave Phillips would actually have been better off putting the club into administration as he then would have been classed as a creditor and would have had a chance to get a small percentage of his money back. Dave is a decent man who did the only thing that was possible to him sadly g I now own the club and as been pointed out on this thread we as fans have to like it or lump it. I don't deny I have serious misgivings about these people and the obvious lies that have been told but until there is another viable option there really is nothing anyone of us can do about it.. anyway onwards to Lincoln for the lads
Hi Stephen

Personally, I am of the same opinion - that the last Board lost all the money that they invested. But I know that some (TUST in particular) were totally frustrated and ultimately can never forgive Dave Phillips and the Balsoms for the fact that they ended up giving the club away - for what a £1 ? ... when they had gone on public record as saying that they would sell the club for the price of a "decent detached house in Torquay" .... so £300-500k I guess? The fact that they "gave the club away" is still in my book unforgivable - I appreciate your loyalties to them though,even though it appears that they didn't treat you' very well either in the end.

Whatever way you cut it, the decision making of the last (TUFC FRIENDLY!) board was a disaster and we are now In the hands of property developers - something which NO ONE on the last board can deny that they weren't made aware of - for goodness sake, Jon Gibbes told you often enough!!!! So, for me at least, the "old" board may not have been looking to make any money for themselves but their overall incompetence beggars belief!!!!
Last edited by CP Gull on 08 Apr 2017, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
baggageman
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by baggageman »

3rd game of the season for me - Sutton and Woking away were great disappointments, but today there was desire, passion and heart that made up for the frustrating early season experiences. I felt we were denied a victory here - the ungentlemanly Shots taking advantage of Brendan Moore's throw out in not returning the ball ..... chants of cheats well justified! Some encouraging performances today - Young, strong and active - shame he left the field injured - hope he's ok for the last few ... Verma had a couple of good efforts ... Reid and Chaney switching wings to good effect ..... downside - Lee, not a clue how to play at full back. If we can win two more and maybe nick a point v Dover or Lincoln we'll surely survive - deservedly on today's performance .... yellow army ...
stephen breed
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: fowler

Post by stephen breed »

Personally Jon gibbes never told me anything Chris what he said to dave and the board I can't comment that on but me sorry not guilty on that
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

stephen breed wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 21:48 Not wishing to divert attention from a great point today well done nico and the boys but a couple of posts earlier I feel I need to answer and state the facts... Dave Phillips did not receive a penny back from g I from any investment he made into the club neither did the Balsons or the kerswells they all did there cash plain and simple in fact dave Phillips would actually have been better off putting the club into administration as he then would have been classed as a creditor and would have had a chance to get a small percentage of his money back. Dave is a decent man who did the only thing that was possible to him sadly g I now own the club and as been pointed out on this thread we as fans have to like it or lump it. I don't deny I have serious misgivings about these people and the obvious lies that have been told but until there is another viable option there really is nothing anyone of us can do about it.. anyway onwards to Lincoln for the lads
Cheers Steve, based on your comments, I wish to retract my previous comment and appolise to Mr Phillips.

Now I really am left to wonder how we have managed to blow 500K. For the life of me I can't see it in the squad.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

stephen breed wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 22:24 Personally Jon gibbes never told me anything Chris what he said to dave and the board I can't comment that on but me sorry not guilty on that
No criticism of you there mate, it was after you left and the club was put "up for sale" that I am referring to.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

PaulBreen wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 21:56 a real battling performance and a well earned point, which might have been a win if Aldershot had done the decent thing and played the ball back to Moore after he kicked it out of play for a throw in. The whole sequence of events after that led up to their goal from the free kick.
Can I ask you something Paul?

How would you feel if your side chucked away the chance of promotion through doing that? How would we all feel if United chuck the chance of beating relegation through doing that? Probably how I feel about Moore committing professional suicide this afternoon and then compounding that by gifting them their equaliser.

I don't think any of us go there in numbers (ten per cent of a decent sized crowd) to see our keeper play Santa Claus and the club goes down as a result whilst he **** off to a nice contract elsewhere.

There is nothing in the laws of the game to say he should do that; and at the end of the day the opposition are perfectly entitled to take advantage of his stupidity because that was not exactly a life threatening 'injury' was it? If we were talking about a head injury, someone vomiting or struggling to breathe; yes be sensible and be humane but otherwise leave it to the bloody ref to run the show and stop being such a bunch of pussies!

The team had done enough to show they could beat a very in form side today and then they went and threw it all away.

Your's; the chairman of the #nobody dies from cramp society
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was thinking the same thing, my first thought being that he could at least have put it into touch much further up. Absolutely fabulous save beforehand though.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Oh Moore's got ability that's undisputed but I often wonder where his brains are.

We've seen him penalised for refusing to put the ball back in play; his failings to marshal his back line effectively and now this; but yes; a fantastic save but we can't have him playing 'one for us, one for you' can we!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

No one needed to be told by Jon Gibbes that GI are property developers. All it took was a quick google.

The old (last) board were in thrall to Peter Masters, riding roughshod over any possibility of TUST taking control. The club strung supporters along until they were left with 'the only choice'. Supporters were never given the option or opportunity. We have been had well, and truly.
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Do you really think that if TUST had taken over instead of GI, we'd be in a better position - on and off the field - now? Because I don't think that at all. Their money would have ran out, with no reserves to keep the club going.

I'm no fan of GI and don't trust them. But let's not pretend TUST are the answer to all our prayers and would have whipped the club into better shape now.
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

Hopefully Moore's mistake won't be the thing that relegates the club. He had a great game up until then.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Terry Henry wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 07:02 Do you really think that if TUST had taken over instead of GI, we'd be in a better position - on and off the field - now? Because I don't think that at all. Their money would have ran out, with no reserves to keep the club going.

I'm no fan of GI and don't trust them. But let's not pretend TUST are the answer to all our prayers and would have whipped the club into better shape now.
No we almost certainly wouldn't. Probably certain relegation. Not the point. We would be in total control of our destiny, our future, our money, a strategy, etc etc etc. With GI we have NO control at all, just pay up each week with hope (although there isn't any) that they are sincere in their footballing ambitions, and not in it just for the money. After months debating on this, and no other evidence that they are sincere we still get posts like this, UNBELIEVABLE!!
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

But great fighting spirit for Nicho and the players to try and keep ithe club n this league. WELL DONE to you guys for the point yesterday. You are not appreciated enough!! Against all the problems that you have had this season, and it seems (I have no proof) that some players aren't even getting paid.
TUST MEMBER