Aldershot v Torquay 8/4/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 12:13 Nicholson was probably trying to do what Merse has been banging on about, slow the game down, break up the play, see it out etc. You cant win sometimes.
Well if you've done it for that reason you can't expect to have the ball thrown back to you can you!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 13:39 On another note, I felt it was quite cynical from the Shots to keep us out in the open - another side who were not prepared for our fans really (ran out of tickets, 3 portaloos between 300 people, and people having to stand up the path) - which surprised me as we travel well there usually. Certainly nullified any atmosphere we were hoping to make.
So are we now expecting club's not to maximise their advantage of being at home? This is getting ridiculous now and with the unnecessary fuss made about away facilities at Bromley some people are really losing sight of the fact that this is non league football; that Aldershot (like us) are struggling to make ends meet financially as a former league club in the NL; and what was wrong with standing at the back and watching from that path anyway; it was no different than standing on the back of the terrace immediately in front was it?

I paid a little bit extra to sit in the away seats and there was no stewarding there to check tickets so anyone standing could have gone and sat in the shade if they wanted for no extra cost...I just get the feeling that certain people just make a point of moaning and picking an argument with the stewards whenever they go away and get out of their (Plainmoor) comfort zone. It makes me wonder why they go away in the first place if that is how they feel.

Aldershot is what it is; an old school ground, past it's sell by date and a club doing their best with the hand that they have been dealt. We all know that before we elect to go there. I found the food to be poor and the coffee so over priced I declined to pay £2.30 for a small plastic cup of hot water poured over powder. I needed a coffee but I'm not being mugged off by anyone and drank my water instead.

Anyone who felt hard done by yesterday had better stand by for visits to places like Wealdstone, Hemel Hempstead (if you haven't been there before) Whitehawk and Truro....absolute bloody favelas; and Aldershot is comparative luxury in comparison!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

No, I completely understand why they have done it, however that doesn't mean it can't be seen as cynical.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I agree with Merse's comments on away grounds. This is the whole point of following football at this level. If you want executive levels of customer satisfaction go and spunk two grand on a season ticket to the emirates, or stay at home in your armchair and take out a sky subscription.
There seems to be an attitude of "We're Torquay united, we used to be a football league club you know". Well its going to be a bloody long time before we are a football league club again, so wake up, smell the coffee and get used to being what we are, that is a pretty piss poor non-league outfit at present.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

The odd thing for me is actually I would continue to follow the club in whatever league they are in, Ive said that on here before, BUT not with these owners. I have actually enjoyed the different non league away gorunds, inc the Shots.
TUST MEMBER
TruroFan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TruroFan »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 17:33

Anyone who felt hard done by yesterday had better stand by for visits to places like Wealdstone, Hemel Hempstead (if you haven't been there before) Whitehawk and Truro....absolute bloody favelas; and Aldershot is comparative luxury in comparison!
If you're going to be playing in the National South next season you might need to rein in that arrogance a bit. Truro City is a 'favela' is it? Whereas Plainmoor is a cross between the Bernabeu and the Camp Nou, presumably?
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

No Plainmoor isn't the Camp Nou, but it is a neat and tidy stadium fit for league football.
Unlike yours. Go back to your own forum.
TruroFan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TruroFan »

Taelee73 wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 19:22 No Plainmoor isn't the Camp Nou, but it is a neat and tidy stadium fit for league football.
Unlike yours. Go back to your own forum.
"Fit for League football". :lol: Good luck with that one. Ben Gerring sends his regards by the way. He's doing rather well down at the Truro favela.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

There is no permanent addition to that collection of temporary stands than when I last played there for Newton Spurs in the late sixties so how long is that ~ half a century? You'll wait that long again and still not have Silver Bow.

Good luck at Bodmin; hope you don't get your feet wet on the grass and had you gone to Plainmoor to play your 'home' matches you would be as out of place as a traveller in a mansion pal! 8-]
TruroFan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TruroFan »

You know, I follow the progress of TUFC because I want to see football in the south west prosper. That's why I hope Argyle get promoted and TUFC escape relegation. I will continue with that hope as I am guessing that your sneering, superior attitude towards the 'favelas' that we in the National South play in is not typical of all TUFC fans. Just a suggestion. When you're staring down the barrel of relegation, a but of humility might be in order.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Taelee73 »

Err "fit for football" good luck with that one ?
Seem to remember we had the odd season as a league club, yes maybe you'll get there before we do again.
Using Ben Gerring as an emotional attack ? Is that the best you can do ?
That's like saying the only time you'd be seen dead at Plainmoor is if you had to share grounds...............oh.
TruroFan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TruroFan »

Read my last post. I'm not slagging off TUFC. On the contrary, I hope they stay up. My point was that sneering at a fellow south west club with which there have been close relations historically shows an arrogance which doesn't fit with the club's current circumstances. Let's face it, TUFC need all the friends they can get at the moment.
Wraysburygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by Wraysburygull »

With Truro on this. Bit of humility wouldn't hurt!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 17:33
Anyone who felt hard done by yesterday had better stand by for visits to places like Wealdstone, Hemel Hempstead (if you haven't been there before) Whitehawk and Truro....absolute bloody favelas; and Aldershot is comparative luxury in comparison![/b]
The issue yesterday wasn't the state of Aldershot's ground (which I like - a proper old fashioned football ground) but that they chose to leave the covered terrace empty and put us in an inferior part of the ground. Yet the tickets which we were sold said 'covered terrace'.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Taelee73 »

Afraid being a Torquay supporter has become an unhappy experience, it's difficult not to be angry.
we have 1400 -1600 true supporters who turn up through thick and thin, yet seem unable to do anything other than watch the club we love slowly fade away.
In my time following the club (1989-onwards) a promotion was always quickly followed by relegation. We'd have a season watching a new star (Rodney Jack etc) knowing they'd be sold. A couple of games a season would experience a fantastic crowd either home or away. And that was ok.
Good cup runs meant the expectation of a big club one day. And within the last 20 years, we finally have a pitch and ground to be proud of. (Not a money making concert venue, I know)
And now, just apathy, people trying to fleece the club, sell the club, no players, no cup runs, dwindling fed up supporters, differing views, we hear and don't hear so many things, I don't know who the hell to believe ? Does anyone ?
Torquay Utd gets under your skin, to watch this decline is hard to take.

Now just apathy.