Aldershot v Torquay 8/4/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
baggageman
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by baggageman »

In fact it was Nicholson who told Moore to put the ball out - so where do you lay the blame now Merse?
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Neal, did you read what I actually wrote, or did you read what you thought I wrote; did you read where I said I am no fan of GI and don't trust them, or did you forget to read that bit?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I don't blame Moores. It is accepted at all levels of football that if a team put the ball out of play because a player is injured the opposition give the ball back on the restart. Aldershot didn't which was very bad sportsmanship.

A point at a top six club is a good result, although we really needed three - and could easily have got them. Once Aldershot scored I thought they'd come at us and we'd struggle to hang on but the last 15 minutes we were well on top and deserved a goal.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

baggageman wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 08:21 In fact it was Nicholson who told Moore to put the ball out - so where do you lay the blame now Merse?
standupsitdown wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 08:40I don't blame Moores. It is accepted at all levels of football that if a team put the ball out of play because a player is injured the opposition give the ball back on the restart. Aldershot didn't which was very bad sportsmanship.
Sportsmanship will not keep this club from relegation and if the manager told the gullible keeper to do that then he is part of that problem. I didn't see that from my side of the pitch, but I did see him ranting on after the incident and following the fourth official like a demented mugging victim which (as a sub) he should have delegated Herrera to do. Had he got a red card for that then his depleted squad would have been another man down wouldn't it.

Obviously your claim that such things are 'accepted' at all levels of football is incorrect because it is clearly not and the club needs to quickly wise up to that FACT

Was Jamie Reid being 'sporting' then when he failed to test stand-in keeper Scott Rendell with that late free kick? No he wasn't; he was being less than competent in the level of skill needed in execution to do so; and I repeat again......no-one dies from cramp!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Torquay sides have been far too sportsmanlike for far too long. The object of the game is to win, not to make friends.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats very frustrating if Moore put the ball out and Aldershot didn't return it. Its hard to apportion blame here as there does seem to be some sort of "unwritten rule" that a team returns the ball to the opposition in the event of an injury.

Personally I don't like it myself - if it was my team I would never put the ball out. I would leave it to the ref. Were Steve Evans and Raynor ever a sporting pair of indviduals. No but they were inevitably winners.

Its true we are too soft - its always been the same.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Nicholson was probably trying to do what Merse has been banging on about, slow the game down,
break up the play, see it out etc. You cant win sometimes. Despite his failings I think I would rather have
Nicholson as manager than Merse !
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 08:40 I don't blame Moores. It is accepted at all levels of football that if a team put the ball out of play because a player is injured the opposition give the ball back on the restart. Aldershot didn't which was very bad sportsmanship.
Remember the row on here last season when Guisley instead of returning the ball in similar circumstances went on and scored. They earned a point from that, that ultimately helped them survive the drop.
Torquay were castergated on here for losing to guisley in the last game for letting cheats prosper despite the fact guisley broke no law.
It would ironic if moore's mistake condemns us.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Moore has gone backwards since arriving here. His distribution, kicking and marshalling of the defence has dropped to a Martin Rice level.

To be only a 1st class shot stopper is not enough in this league.
Lack of a good (any) coach I guess.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Are we certain it was even cramp?

I can't recall if it was Young or Chaney but it looked like both went off with muscular strains rather than just 'cramp'.

Very frustrating as I feel we more than matched them - I expected a lot more than them but it was us who looked more likely to win. Earlier in the season that would have been a great point, but I feel it was a bit of a missed opportunity to not bring the three home. We now go to Lincoln hoping to stay in a position to leapfrog Braintree and (hopefully) another team come Monday teatime.

Moore's save minutes before the goal was remarkable.

On another note, I felt it was quite cynical from the Shots to keep us out in the open - another side who were not prepared for our fans really (ran out of tickets, 3 portaloos between 300 people, and people having to stand up the path) - which surprised me as we travel well there usually. Certainly nullified any atmosphere we were hoping to make. With their fans being some of the best fans I've seen in a while, it would have been a cracking atmosphere if we were both in that end.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

baggageman wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 08:21 In fact it was Nicholson who told Moore to put the ball out - so where do you lay the blame now Merse?
Nicholson telling Moore to throw the ball out I didn't see but I did see McGinty tell Moore.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I suspect the ball was thrown out to slow the game down but it is still unacceptable for the other side not to return the ball.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 13:39

On another note, I felt it was quite cynical from the Shots to keep us out in the open - another side who were not prepared for our fans really (ran out of tickets, 3 portaloos between 300 people, and people having to stand up the path) - which surprised me as we travel well there usually. Certainly nullified any atmosphere we were hoping to make. With their fans being some of the best fans I've seen in a while, it would have been a cracking atmosphere if we were both in that end.
I understand that Aldershot were told to expect 300 plus.
We took that many last year and they could see from our away support at other games (eg Bromley last year) that we would probably take more than 300.
Seems either it was a failure of communication at their end or a deliberate ploy to nullify our support.
I have spoken to a friend who works for the Football Supporters' Federation and she has agreed to take this up with Aldershot on our behalf.
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

Ran out of bottled water 5 mins into half time despite sticking us in an uncovered terrace in that heat, imagine if they get promoted and have some real away followings there! What a Joke, the ticket they handed out when you entered even stated "covered terrace".

Also when did Rendell turn into such a bellend? Screaming at the ref half the game, throwing himself to the floor in the box under challenge from GG then throwing his toys out the pram when he didn't get a penalty and getting in numerous spats with our players throughout the game. Hope they get thrashed in the play offs if they make it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 12:13 I would rather have Nicholson as manager than Merse !
So would I mate! :)