Torquay v Chester 01/04/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I presume fists were thrown and a full scale riot took place to defend the old man?

Please don't tell me everybody just voice their disappointment but still made their way out.

How was the protest against Osbourne?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Poor first half but were well in the game we came out second half the better side and I could see no reason why we could not get a point out of the game and then a double substitution we try to win it with 10 men within five minutes we were losing where the strikers had not closed down. The strikers worked hard but they are not a pairing Williams and Keating would be. Keating is jumping a yard in front of the centre half making it easy for him he's got to learn to lean back into him.

Good entertainment but we gave the game to them. :@
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Over and out.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Bloody shrewd Wivel. God how I wish I had your perceptive long distance brain.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Cruel, cruel game. Chester were poor but the sending off made it very difficult for us. The team, however, ran themselves into the ground - they showed tremendous spirit and were doubly unlucky to lose - once because the post saves them and twice when a routine shot from distance takes a massive deflection to leave Moore with no chance. This was a case where applauding off a losing team was fully justified. Agree that the officials, particularly the referee, had a terrible game although I think the sending off itself was justified since Anderson was the last man. The crowd in the second half were brilliant and so was the atmosphere.

Unfortunately it looks like we are heading down - unlike last season we have no momentum and York do - in spades.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

If I had to watch Chester every week I'd give up football. A dreadful, petty, boring, cheating bunch of toe rags. Their centre back fatboys didn't look anywhere good enough, but we didn't test them enough as ever.

Combined with bad luck (the goal was a joke) and the worst referee I have seen for a very long time (his Lino pal on the pop side was a useless tosser too) today was not our day. 100% for effort, but you need more than that. Chester have clearly been to the Steve Evans FairPlay football school, we have never matched that cheating mean spirited approach in all the time I have been a Torquay fan. Perhaps we can develop a mean streak for the last five games, it does seem to pay off.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

We have owners with a mean streak. Why not..
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gutted to lose and the referee was so whistle happy it often frustrated the players as much as the crowd.
We are certainly not down yet but today was a massive game and we were just not quite good enough when we had 11 players on the pitch.
I still think ALL 25 yard free kicks should be taken by Luke Young not Jamie Reid. Why? Because Luke is our only player who has an unstoppable shot with pace. Reid nearly always sends the ball over the bar. You have to work the keeper Jamie.
Jordan Lee looked very good going forward and I wonder if he might be more effective in midfieid with Verma at right back.I still think Verma's best position is right back.
With 4 games in 14 days between 8th and 22nd April I think it is essential Ben Gerring is recalled ASAP.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

portugull wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 18:48
I think it is essential Ben Gerring is recalled ASAP.
What! GI make up 100% of his total wage - I don't think so. They would rather Nicho use the tea-lady.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MellowYellow wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 19:41 What! GI make up 100% of his total wage - I don't think so. They would rather Nicho use the tea-lady.
She's better looking anyway :)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

portugull wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 18:48 Jordan Lee looked very good going forward and I wonder if he might be more effective in midfieid with Verma at right back.I still think Verma's best position is right back.
Agree, thought Jordan looked ok. Also, Snoop must be the most improved player, produced one of the few moments of quality, beat his player and sent in a low, curling cross that only needed a touch, sadly one wasn't forthcoming.

Overall, we put a lot into it and deserved to take more out of it. After the sending off, the tipping point was the double chance, first Keating, whose first chance let him down, swiftly followed by Reid, who did his job and got a tricky chance on target, only to see it deflected on to the post. One of those needed to go in.

Not 'over and out' as our dear Wivel said because we showed enough fight on the pitch and in the stands but it will be a close run thing.
TUST number 080
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Losing today sounded harsh. But what is more worrying is that every other results in the league went against us. It's now out of our hand. And let's face it our remaining 3 away matches offer no cause for optimism. Nicholson says anderson is out for 1 game, others have posted 3. So what is it? .
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Modgull wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 18:27 Cruel, cruel game. Chester were poor but the sending off made it very difficult for us. The team, however, ran themselves into the ground - they showed tremendous spirit and were doubly unlucky to lose - once because the post saves them and twice when a routine shot from distance takes a massive deflection to leave Moore with no chance. This was a case where applauding off a losing team was fully justified. Agree that the officials, particularly the referee, had a terrible game although I think the sending off itself was justified since Anderson was the last man. The crowd in the second half were brilliant and so was the atmosphere.

Unfortunately it looks like we are heading down - unlike last season we have no momentum and York do - in spades.
And a third time unlucky when their centre half sliced the ball over his own crossbar. That could just as easily have flown into the net. The ref had a shocker. We've had that ref before and I've thought that previously he's been quite good, but not today. But we can't keep blaming refs. We are not creating enough chances and the ones we are creating are not being put away. I think we had to get at least seven points from our last three home games and we have fallen at the first hurdle, although we deserved something from the game. North Ferriby won at Forest Green today so maybe, like them, we can upset the odds by getting something from the remaining three tough away games. Straws and clutching as they say.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

tomogull wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 20:39 And a third time unlucky when their centre half sliced the ball over his own crossbar. That could just as easily have flown into the net. The ref had a shocker. We've had that ref before and I've thought that previously he's been quite good, but not today. But we can't keep blaming refs. We are not creating enough chances and the ones we are creating are not being put away. I think we had to get at least seven points from our last three home games and we have fallen at the first hurdle, although we deserved something from the game. North Ferriby won at Forest Green today so maybe, like them, we can upset the odds by getting something from the remaining three tough away games. Straws and clutching as they say.
:goodpost:

Unfortunately we've had the same problem for 8 months and that is why we will sadly end up playing the likes of Concord Rangers next year..............if we're still operating.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Reid really should have buried his shot despite the keeper's world class save. Against all odds I feel we could win at Aldershot next Saturday.