Torquay v Chester 01/04/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Totnesianyellows
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: KEV

Post by Totnesianyellows »

Had the fright of my life today,seeing a steward push a elderly man down the steps.
Luckily he caught his footing and stood firm. I saw everything from above the steps , on the quiet side of the pop side. The chap simply wanted to return to his place but the steward wanted a fight. HE GOT ONE ! DO the stewards have to be so aggressive ? there could have been a serious outcome to this today ....
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That steward should be identified and sacked. And he and the club should be sued by the elderly man, with the help of some crowdfunding and witnesses who saw the incident. :@
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If any of my response team did that they wouldn't be working anywhere near me. Collect the information and pass it to the club and copy the local licencing officer into it. Those working inside stadia now are very much under the scrutiny of local officials and they will follow up on any complaints made.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

There was alot of moaning and groaning about the ref, but I think he made perhaps 2 bad decisions and just applied the laws of the game, and because we don't always see that happen, it would d some people up.

As previously said, it's clutching at straws. I've never heard a side who win 3-0 complain about a referee. Ok, not often.

We make our own luck and a combination of getting someone sent off (the teams fault, not just the player, as their midfield were allowed to pick a pass through) and lack of clean cut chances cost us, against a poor side.

Yesterday dinner time I thought we would get out of this, but after yesterday's match, I'm not so sure.

Theres only so many times you can go home losing...
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well summed up toastkid, forget the referee and the 10 men, its been the same all season , struggling to create
and then if we do manage to, take a chance. Reid should have scored and why doesnt Young take all the free
kicks any more? Chester were just about the poorest team I have seen this season. I am afraid we are down
now, with the 3 away games we have and the fact that we cannot win at home, I cant even see us beating
North Ferriby on the last day
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

toastkid wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 07:28 There was alot of moaning and groaning about the ref, but I think he made perhaps 2 bad decisions and just applied the laws of the game, and because we don't always see that happen, it would d some people up.

As previously said, it's clutching at straws. I've never heard a side who win 3-0 complain about a referee. Ok, not often.

We make our own luck and a combination of getting someone sent off (the teams fault, not just the player, as their midfield were allowed to pick a pass through) and lack of clean cut chances cost us, against a poor side.

Yesterday dinner time I thought we would get out of this, but after yesterday's match, I'm not so sure.

Theres only so many times you can go home losing...
Agree that you make your own luck, but I think you are being kind to the referee. I saw more than 2 bad decisions, the worst for me was the early foul that led to Keating's booking, the Chester full back took an obvious dive and lay writhing on the ground. Keating didn't argue with the decision, he just threw up his hands in frustration. A quiet word from the ref would have been enough, but he seemed to show the yellow with relish. The Chester players got in the ref's face a few times later on to argue, not one yellow card shown. He may have applied the laws of the game, but he didn't do this even handedly. He also allowed himself to be conned by Chester play acting, and for an ex player this was surprising. The pop side Lino was a complete arse, cock up after cock up. Yes, I know it isn't the ref's fault we lost, but he gave us nothing whatsoever and tilted the game in Chester's favour.

My frustration with the ref was part of my frustration with our failure to batter a very poor side. Long ball after long ball up to the tall Chester defence, madness. Reid at least had the gumption to run at the tub of lard Astlles, so fat he could barely move. I think we are down now, I felt very sad leaving Plainmoor yesterday. I saw the tail end of the steward incident, looked worrrying in terms of fan reactions. One steward was trying to calm down angry fans, thus must be investigated.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

When we get relegated there should be a new poll.

Who was responsible for TUFC being relegated?

A) the manager
B) the players
C) the owners
D) the referee
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Yes the ref was poor, we showed tremendous spirit in the second half, the winning goal was a cruel deflection, but, as ever, our finishing was poor - why do players feel the urge to break the net when we know how light the ball is these days and it swerves all over the place, and yet we consistently hit high and wide. The Chester keeper had only two shots to save on target, just not good or intelligent enough in slippery ground conditions.

Keating and Reid played well together in the second half, came off defenders, combined passes and movement; contrast the first half when the ineffective Harrad was nowhere near his strike partner - typical of our season, why has it taken so long for us to play together, both up front and in midfield?
COYY - keep playing as a spirited team, but please please make the opposing keeper earn his money.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I was intending to go yesterday but luckily (it seems) I was unable to make it, as it would have been more frustration and disappointment. Strangely enough I attended a local game where a player was clean through on goal, fouled and a penalty was given, yet no card.

So as I understand it you only get sent of now if you foul someone outside the area - what a strange rule.

What a crucial defeat that was, but what a pity we were down to ten men as it seems that we may well have got the result we deserved with eleven men on the pitch. Hard to take - I was so disappointed when I got in and sods law all the other results really conspired against us.

Its understandable that people are saying we are down - but its not all over yet. The thing to remember is that there is not really a good team in this league, they are all rank average on the whole. So we have to see every game as winnable.

As for the incident with the stewards - well lets hope that the person reports the incident to the police. It is a common assault and given that the victim could have been seriously injured if he had fallen down the steps it is likely that the steward would be prosecuted.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totnesianyellows wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 22:41 Had the fright of my life today,seeing a steward push a elderly man down the steps.
Luckily he caught his footing and stood firm. I saw everything from above the steps , on the quiet side of the pop side. The chap simply wanted to return to his place but the steward wanted a fight. HE GOT ONE ! DO the stewards have to be so aggressive ? there could have been a serious outcome to this today ....
My advice to you, if you can remember timeline and what your saw, write it down and report it to the club, there is CCTV it can be reviewed and the matter can if needed to, can be dealt with.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Couldn't make the game yesterday so can't comment to much. One thing I will say, having seen every other home game and one away, we can NOT blame the standard of refereeing for the teams position, end of. The standard of refereeing may seem poor, most of the time it's down to football fans in general not knowing the rules, however lets say the standard genuinely was poor, then it's poor for every team in the division, top and bottom.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

brucie wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 10:07 I was intending to go yesterday but luckily (it seems) I was unable to make it, as it would have been more frustration and disappointment. Strangely enough I attended a local game where a player was clean through on goal, fouled and a penalty was given, yet no card.

So as I understand it you only get sent of now if you foul someone outside the area - what a strange rule.

What a crucial defeat that was, but what a pity we were down to ten men as it seems that we may well have got the result we deserved with eleven men on the pitch. Hard to take - I was so disappointed when I got in and sods law all the other results really conspired against us.

Its understandable that people are saying we are down - but its not all over yet. The thing to remember is that there is not really a good team in this league, they are all rank average on the whole. So we have to see every game as winnable.

As for the incident with the stewards - well lets hope that the person reports the incident to the police. It is a common assault and given that the victim could have been seriously injured if he had fallen down the steps it is likely that the steward would be prosecuted.
I agree with Brucie. Predictions are rarely accurate and I do believe we can get a result against any of the teams we have to play.
TUST number 080
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 10:42 The standard of refereeing may seem poor, most of the time it's down to football fans in general not knowing the rules
Well I'll start by being pedantic and tell you it is the laws of the game ; not the rules and first thing most spectators, players and coaches are unaware of is Law 12 that states:
'The referee has considerable discretion in applying the Laws; in particular, the offence of "unsporting behaviour" may be used to deal with most events that violate the spirit of the game, even if they are not listed as specific offences'

That takes care of Keating's caution ~ it was the referee's discretion. A referee ~ who incidentally was a semi-professional player himself as little as four years ago playing in the Southern League and is one identified as suitable for 'fast tracking' by the FA to being a refereeing career somewhat later than most and the idea behind that is to combat the age old complaint that "refs never played the game and so don't have a feel for it"

Law 12 also states that a red card shall be applied for :
'Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick'

Goodbye Anderson who maybe could have made that contact within the penalty are and so (maybe Anderson thought he was doing this and got it marginally wrong) avoided a red card through the 'double jeopardy' interpretation that Fifa has instigated to avoid the 'double whammy' of penalty AND red card.

Most of the moaning about the ref is moaning about the law they are applying in reality; and the ironic part of Anderson's case is that the particular interpretation that the referee was applying yesterday came about through moaning about players cynically taking out an opponent just outside the penalty area and 'getting away with it'......we can't have our cake and eat it.
Last edited by merse btpir on 02 Apr 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's not all over, correct, however with York now on a flyer current form wise, our home, and remaining fixtures, our team now have one huge mountain to climb.

Think our fate was finally sealed when we had two straight home games against Sutton (no keeper) Guiseley( ten men) and lost them both. A team is relegated over 46 match's, still 5 to go of course, but should relegation be confirmed, it will be down to, two things, the management of the club off the field has been truly shocking, and the management on the field has not come close to being good enough, that's the truth of it.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I think we will need a further 8 points to be almost certain of avoiding the drop.

Shit or bust should be our mantra!

3 wins from the last 5 would be wonderful!

2 wins will require a couple of draws and therefore only one more defeat.

Simply, lose 2 more games and any draw might send us down.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: