Torquay V Tranmere

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:06 He might appear 'ineffective' to you and other spectators; but I've a suspicion he's one of those unsung players who is far more 'effective' from the management's and other players' points of view.
Maybe, but then were you there tonight? Didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes or so and he played some real hosptial passes when he did. I'll believe the evidence in front of my own eyes thank you.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great result but where has this motivation come from (It's come from playing the top team) Lathrop was quicker than he's been all season I thought it was a new player. Nicholson has got to ask himself what has changed the performance tonight as the supporters have been let down as tonight the squad have proved they are good enough.

Young needs to be played and told to calm down (HE NEEDS TO BE MANAGED)or he will end up out of the game Nicholson needs to sort him out he needs to change his game or he will suffer for it. The injuries he's had he needs to adapt.
Last edited by arcadia on 14 Mar 2017, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hasn't the manager been let down just like us mere fans?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I can't agree with DevonYellow re Harrad, he worked his socks off. Young was rightly MOM and Keating had a good cameo, he has something about him. Lathrope had a good match as did all of the defence.

Apart from a comic cuts episode from Moore he had a dependable match. The one blemish was a completely mistimed punch clear. the ball went up in the air, fell to a Tranmere player and it was acrobatically saved on the line by a defender when it went even higher into the air. When it came back down Moore tried to palm it over the bar for a corner but only succeeded in pushing it onto the bar. He then got lucky as it bounced back into his arms.

We then hit the bar in the second half (I think from a Lathrope screamer - will he ever score for us?).

It was point gained for us but judging from the demeanour of the Tranmere players it was two points lost for them.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:31 Hasn't the manager been let down just like us mere fans?
Yes he has but it's his job to motivate the players and tonight he needs to take a good look at whats happened and why did they come out at half time and do a warm up we've not done that all season was it because all the G.I. staff were here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

I don't know why but a scout from QPR and Millwall were there tonight.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:40 why did they come out at half time and do a warm up we've not done that all season was it because all the G.I. staff were here.
I was watching Manchester City u23s last night at Arsenal and they did just that, causing me to comment to my friends (both Gulls fans) that you never see Torquay United do that and hey presto....

City also despatched one of their fitness & conditioning coaches to take each substitute for a 'one to one' warm up before they enter the pitch too. You can always learn something new if you look intently enough!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:45I don't know why but a scout from QPR and Millwall were there tonight.
So was Tranmere fan and Fifa ref Mike Dean
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:50 I was watching Manchester City u23s last night at Arsenal and they did just that, causing me to comment to my friends (both Gulls fans) that you never see Torquay United do that and hey presto....

City also despatched one of their fitness & conditioning coaches to take each substitute for a 'one to one' warm up before they enter the pitch too. You can always learn something new if you look intently enough!

It looked to pay dividends too. For the first time in months we looked better in the spell after half time.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

A performance that had passion, spirit and fight!

Dont think either side deserved to win it, once again we raised our game against a team that played it on the deck!

Ref - complete tool didnt have control from minute 1.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

also credit to LRT, much criticised this season thought he had a great game
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I must say, that was an enjoyable 0-0 to watch and a much better game of football than I feared before kick off.

Plenty of positives to take but why can't we do that every game? We looked up for it, chasing their players all over the pitch and making sure they never had too much space and time on the ball.

Make no mistake, Tranmere are a horrible, niggly, tough side challenging at the right end of the table, but we stood up to them and it was actually a good contest.

Many good performances but I must say I really liked Keating when he came on. Very nearly made a chance for himself closing down defenders and putting himself about. More game time please Nicho.

If we can perform like this we'll see ourselves clear no probs. There are literally no teams to be worried about in this league if we apply ourselves and put the effort in.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 23:01 also credit to LRT, much criticised this season thought he had a great game
YES it's easy to knock anyone but he was part of a really good performance.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

DevonYellow wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 22:53 It looked to pay dividends too. For the first time in months we looked better in the spell after half time.
At Wingate & Finchley the manager ~ former QPR & West Ham player Keith Rowland ~ throws a 'ladder' & cones down just as the game is about to kick-off and has his players pair off and go through a quick-step routine twice each; delaying the kick-off and annoying the opposition and ref. He does it in the belief that it gives his team the edge right from the start.

You might laugh or sneer; but as I say you can always learn something new if you look hard enough.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Never have I left a game so angry at the referee. What an absolute idiot, we have to lodge a complaint about that surely?! It was Mr Bean refereeing!

Good point lads, enjoyable game to watch other than the refs stupid moments.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest