Torquay United v Guiseley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Shambles, Lost the entire changing room!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

if its FT at 60mins then that would have been a good performance and result

The crowd was in good voice and Guiseley were all over the place!

But one alrighty mix up with the entire defence and its 1-1

We crumbled away into an a complete disgrace, only Luke Young who ran his socks off deserves any credit.

WHY DID GG PLAY? that was the issue for me, Hodgkiss has done nothing wrong, GG was a donkey all game,

Stand in ref - crap.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

What was official attendance in the end
KB59
Trialist
Trialist

Post by KB59 »

Let's see if the new owner got the balls to get shot of that poor excuse of a manager **** disgrace. Get Martin Ling back only decent manager we ever had.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

SteveDeckchair wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 17:25 Yet another low point in the history of Torquay United. What happens now will show the new owners intentions.

Are they happy with a sustainable part time conference south team with income generating facilities or do they want the team to be successful in the pitch. Sadly I think it's the former but I live in hope that is the latter.......
Problem is that this club is not sustainable in the Conference South. Crowds will plummet, stands will have to be closed down, reduced income means we'll have to go semi-pro, going semi-pro means we'll never attract any of the players needed to compete as they will not leave the London region to work in Torbay. Thus at best we're stuck in the Conference South for a very very prolonged period. This is why so many of us were so against Nicholson being appointed last season, we can't piss around with our National League status in this way. The drop from the league was highly damaging for the club but the drop into regionalised football could quite possibly kill it.
Last edited by SenorDingDong on 04 Mar 2017, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
TUST_Member_Rob

westyorkshiregull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 17:29 What was official attendance in the end
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

KB59 wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 17:29 Let's see if the new owner got the balls to get shot of that poor excuse of a manager **** disgrace. Get Martin Ling back only decent manager we ever had.
Sad as it is Ling couldn't cope with the pressure, witness his recent spell at Swindon. It is a crying shame as I imagine he'd be more than willing to come back.

As an aside...Leroy, Buckle, O'Farrell
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It's very difficult to defend the manager now. It really is.

Yes, he's got little funding, but many other clubs have similar funding, or less, and are coping.

Yes, he's a nice guy, but that alone doesn't make you a decent football manager.

Yes, he's an ex player, but that alone doesn't make you a decent football manager.

The sad thing is, I think he has got the talent to become a decent manager, but this job came too soon for him and it's now tainted him.

However, if he truly loves the club, he'd step away and give somebody else a shot - anybody will do, because we are going down with Nico at the moment, so somebody else may as well give it a go and see what they can do.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
KB59
Trialist
Trialist

Post by KB59 »

They may as well put the club in administration now they won't survive much longer so put long suffering supporters out of their misery.
TUST_Member_Rob

Scott Brehaut wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 17:32 It's very difficult to defend the manager now. It really is.

Yes, he's got little funding, but many other clubs have similar funding, or less, and are coping.

Yes, he's a nice guy, but that alone doesn't make you a decent football manager.

Yes, he's an ex player, but that alone doesn't make you a decent football manager.

The sad thing is, I think he has got the talent to become a decent manager, but this job came too soon for him and it's now tainted him.

However, if he truly loves the club, he'd step away and give somebody else a shot - anybody will do, because we are going down with Nico at the moment, so somebody else may as well give it a go and see what they can do.

said the exact same thing, no doubt he could be a good manager, but to have cut his teeth in this way - mistake.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 17:32 Yes, he's got little funding, but many other clubs have similar funding, or less, and are coping.

Amen. The first two things are what many of us have been saying since he was appointed. His bacon was saved last season by an influx of cash but he's always had these problems, no matter what a great guy he is and his great community work. What we needed then and what we need now is someone who knows the Conference (...or Conference South) and knows how to get the most out of average quality players, someone who knows where the hidden diamonds are in the lower leagues. Look at the Cowleys at Lincoln.

Getting all nostalgic and appointing Hargreaves against better judgement is what cost us our league position and started this whole downward spiral, making the mistake again has lead to us being on the verge of the Conference South. You think people would learn...

Nico, you've been a great servant for the club but it's absolutely 100% time to go.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I can't disagree with anything in Scott's analysis. It's so desperately sad that it has come to this.
Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

It's been a pretty rapid decline ever since the Ling debarcle. The club continues to hit new lows. Not long before we're bottom of this shit league again. This time there is no getting out.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

As a further aside, Eric Webber. Even Frank O'Farrell couldn't get them as close to the second tier as Eric did.

I'll stop now as I'm in danger of wallowing in nostalgia to try to avoid facing the present.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 00:03 Arcadia - In normal circumstances, I would agree. But the club is such a shambolic mess off the field, is it any surprise that it is failing on the field ? Under Nico for the final third of last season, our form was second only to promoted Cheltenham. Does Nico suddenly become a poor manager? I wonder how many of the fans who are now calling for him to go were amongst those chanting "Nich-ol-son, Nich-ol-son" at the end of last season and saying he should be given the freedom of Torbay? I don't know. A new manager might make a difference but I really hope Nico can turn things around.

As for young Sam Chaney, I like him as a player because he shows some urgency and moves the ball quickly to feet. There are aspects of his game that he has to work on but I think he is a good prospect. I think if the team was better placed, he would have been given more game time but Nico seems to like to play it safe by sticking with experience which in my view is not always the best tactic. It is a pity that Sam is at Plainmoor and not part of the Exeter youth set up. I'm sure he would be an even better prospect with the coaching he would have received there. He reminds me of another young midfield player who those of us who saw him play, thought he had something about him. He was released by the club and has gone on to play in several successful sides and is now in the Dagenham & Redbridge side challenging for a play off place. Name? Luke Guttridge.
I do agree with you he'd be a good player in a better side but at the moment Torquay have no way of playing and at least he would keep the ball on the ground.
Last edited by arcadia on 04 Mar 2017, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.