Torquay United v Guiseley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The players gave their all for their manager today, when the odds were completely stacked against them today however they managed to put in a very workman like performance.

At the very end of the game I stood there with hundreds of Torquay fans to give a resounding round of applause to all the Guiseley fans and players.

You were all a credit to your club.
Last edited by kevgull on 04 Mar 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

???
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

agreed kevgull; they never gave up. Wish our players were like that. Reliable source says Nico is history...........
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Still numb after that, but just to say I agree with Portugulls and Forevers posts, this wasnt another Sutton,
we could easily have won this game 3-0
You cant blame Nicholson for the two goals, but overall he has to carry the can, and it has been very poor all season
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Probably the end for Nicho - even this lot (GI) cannot accept the events of the last two games. Sadly though I think it's probably too late, I just don't think we have the players to get us out of this. Too many mentally weak players, gutless individuals who may be "nice guys" but are not built of the sort of stuff that will get us out of this mess. Guiseley were quite possibly the worst side I have seen at Plainmoor this season ( a " proper" pub side if you ask me) but what does that say about US!!!! The fact that Nicho still reckons that they are "good enough" to beat anyone in this League matters not -the FACT is that we are also so POOR that we can ( and do) also lose to anyone in this League ... and if truth be told probably the one below... we are that bad!

We might change our Manager ( we should!!) but in all honesty I think it is probably too late .... so National League South it is, cannot believe we are about to stoop so low but FIVE years of complete mismanagement by the owners and some really poor appointments along the way have done for us. It will take some adjusting to, to accept that we will be playing part time Regional football next year in front of (typically) an average crowd of 500 or so but that is sadly the reality. The fans deserve so much more but the fact is that we have been so badly let down by the owners of this once proud football club over the last FIVE years that we are where we deserve to be for that reason alone.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I thought Guiseley were absolutely dire. If we finish below them we deserve to move direct to the Southern League and not waste any time in the Conference South. We lost this afternoon because we were gutless and as always clueless when it comes to crisis time in a game.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

So glad i went away this weekend and didn't have to witness another crap game.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I thought Guiseley were absolutely dire. If we finish below them we deserve to move direct to the Southern League and not waste any time in the Conference South. We lost this afternoon because we were gutless and as always clueless when it comes to crisis time in a game.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Spoke to a Guiseley fan after the game, and to be fair, he described his own teams performance as utter gash. But they're another battle hardened non-league side that kept going until the end, and once again they won, we lost.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

taxilady wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 20:06 agreed kevgull; they never gave up. Wish our players were like that. Reliable source says Nico is history...........
I like Kev as a bloke and perhaps there is still a roll for him at the club. He's a very honest, hard working chap but this season is a step too far for him.
Acedemy or Community would be a great fit for him at TUFC next season.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was shambolic!

Before the game Nicholson was commenting:
"Every game is a cup final"
"I have a squad of talented players"
"Playing for careers"

- In the first half, I believed that there was some talent in the team, they looked organised, and played some good football putting Guisley under pressure. Only issue was inability to finish off good chances.

- Second half - fell apart at the first sign of danger.

Where is the evidence Nicholson has prepared the players to play "a cup final", Where is the evidence that he has the players believing they are "playing for their careers"? Bloody nowhere, that's where.

Why are you still here Nicholson, you should never has been appointed at the start and the fears I had about your inability to manage a team effectively have been realised.

It is becoming obvious that just about keeping us up last season was almost certainly down to having a cash injection that allowed you to bring in players that did not need your style of man management.

If the club does not want to sack him for appalling performance in his job, than keep him and switch him to where his talents appear to be .....Commercial Manager. If tales are true he is doing well at trying to bring in external cash and sponsorship to the club, so keep doing that where you appear to have at least some talent.

Put Harrop in charge, and before Southampton Gull claims that was GIs plan all along, take a long hard and impartial view at Nicholson's performance - he has brought any change on himself. The "lack of money", one hand tied behind his back" rhetoric has lost all traction.

Nicholson please admit your current performance is at best "Needs Improvement" and more realistically "Unacceptable" - enough to invoke disciplinary procedures in almost all organisations.
swissgull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by swissgull »

Nico has got to go. Bored of reading every week how the team fail to put training initiative onto the pitch. There is only one man to blame for that.
The team do not want to play for him, he does not motivate them. There's needs to be a change before it is too late.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Just waiting for Southampton Gull to logon and begin the defence now.......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

CP Gull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 20:19 Probably the end for Nicho - even this lot (GI) cannot accept the events of the last two games. Sadly though I think it's probably too late, I just don't think we have the players to get us out of this. Too many mentally weak players, gutless individuals who may be "nice guys" but are not built of the sort of stuff that will get us out of this mess. Guiseley were quite possibly the worst side I have seen at Plainmoor this season ( a " proper" pub side if you ask me) but what does that say about US!!!! The fact that Nicho still reckons that they are "good enough" to beat anyone in this League matters not -the FACT is that we are also so POOR that we can ( and do) also lose to anyone in this League ... and if truth be told probably the one below... we are that bad!

We might change our Manager ( we should!!) but in all honesty I think it is probably too late .... so National League South it is, cannot believe we are about to stoop so low but FIVE years of complete mismanagement by the owners and some really poor appointments along the way have done for us. It will take some adjusting to, to accept that we will be playing part time Regional football next year in front of (typically) an average crowd of 500 or so but that is sadly the reality. The fans deserve so much more but the fact is that we have been so badly let down by the owners of this once proud football club over the last FIVE years that we are where we deserve to be for that reason alone.
I think your right CP, we are a very nice team to play against. We have some talent but not the grit and determination to back it up when the game goes against us.
Can you coach this or is it inherent in the player to bring in?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

So how things change ~ change when the bleedin' obvious has been ........well; bleedin' obvious. Obvious for so long that now even the cheerleaders are turning on the manager.

A club needs a manager to manage the resources as they are presented to him, it does not need him to be visiting hospitals, schools and the like at times like this that demand a mean streak and a horrible nature to sort out this bunch of losers.

They are not good players because they cannot play well; maybe they can train well but that is a completely different kettle of fish.

I went to watch two of my older son's footballing mates today; one on loan from a National League club to a Ryman League at the age of seventeen yet being systematically left on the bench from start to finish as his temporary club battles relegation; and the other trying hard to make the transition from being a former Chelsea Academy player (although he did play in the Greek Premier League last season) to being a Ryman League player succumbing to serial bullying and thuggery; losing his rag and getting sent off for grabbing a perpetrator's throat with mum prowling the tunnel area waiting to handbag the ref and perpetrator as they left the field..........welcome to the grown up world of men's football and ~ watching that ~ I felt so much of those young pups turning up at Plainmoor throughout the season deemed not fit for purpose.

The recruitment has been awful at TQ1 this season to add to the rubbish re-engaged from last season; the game management woeful and the performances what you would expect given the circumstances.