Torquay United v Guiseley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Harrad, Chaney & Keating for 5 minutes as our substitutions.
Didn't work last week against Sutton so was Nicho hoping it would work this week against 10 men? JOKE.
Hodjkiss our best defender since he signed on the bench?
Lee on the bench, I thought he had gone back?
No sign of Chrichlow, still hasn't played?
Nicho if you love this club so much do the decent thing and RESIGN.
This may jolt the owners into action but I doubt it.
If nothing else it would save you the embarrassment of being manager when we drop into National League South!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 20:49 Just waiting for Southampton Gull to logon and begin the defence now.......
Begin? The reasons haven't changed, the scenario is playing itself out nicely for someone...........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Looking at Nico's post on FB, he has no intention of resigning.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 20:49 Just waiting for Southampton Gull to logon and begin the defence now.......
I'd like to be able to defend Nicho, but after today's second half performance, I can't. After last week's fiasco, he had to make changes and the only change made was to bring in Gallifuoco in place of the 'not 100% fit' Hodgkiss. Against a poor side, we did okay-ish in the first half with a good goal from Verma, a Willams header aganist the bar and a good save from Young by their keeper. But I feel we didn't put their goal under enough pressure. We should have had another striker playing alongside Williams - either Keating or Reid with Critchlow on the wing. Instead, it was the same format which abysmally failed last week and in other recent home games.

He even made the same substitutions as last week - even giving Keating just a ridiculous 5 minutes. And can Arcadia, or anyone with coaching experience, explain to me why it is a good idea to have two right backs on the bench? Shaw and Jared Hodgkiss were on the bench, but no Critchlow when any sort of wide player against 10 men would have been useful. It's hard to put a finger on where it has gone wrong for Nicho since those Forest Green games, but gone wrong it badly has.

A note to Wivel - no, it was nowhere near as bad as last week, but it was bad enough.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Nicho's Facebook post

As low as I've felt for a long time but as determined as I'll ever be.
Who knows what the future holds but if I get the honour to be in charge of this team again next week then I know that a win will most likely get us out of the bottom four and this will go down as another day of shaping us for the future.
Today was an hour of total dominance, a team that looked like they had got the message and enough chances to win 2 games.
The last 30 minutes was a shambles, the goals were as bad as I've ever seen given away. No hiding from it, no excuses.
I imagine I'm hurting more than anyone else out there but it's hard to beat someone who never gives up.
We were in a worse spot last season and we all know how that ended.
Tomorrow is a new day, let's see what it brings.

Nicho
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 21:32 I'd like to be able to defend Nicho, but after today's second half performance, I can't. After last week's fiasco, he had to make changes and the only change made was to bring in Gallifuoco in place of the 'not 100% fit' Hodgkiss. Against a poor side, we did okay-ish in the first half with a good goal from Verma, a Willams header aganist the bar and a good save from Young by their keeper. But I feel we didn't put their goal under enough pressure. We should have had another striker playing alongside Williams - either Keating or Reid with Critchlow on the wing. Instead, it was the same format which abysmally failed last week and in other recent home games.

He even made the same substitutions as last week - even giving Keating just a ridiculous 5 minutes. And can Arcadia, or anyone with coaching experience, explain to me why it is a good idea to have two right backs on the bench? Shaw and Jared Hodgkiss were on the bench, but no Critchlow when any sort of wide player against 10 men would have been useful. It's hard to put a finger on where it has gone wrong for Nicho since those Forest Green games, but gone wrong it badly has.

A note to Wivel - no, it was nowhere near as bad as last week, but it was bad enough.
Thommo I am not a coach and at 70 would never want to be as they only learn from football experiences from you and me. We do not know what injuries that Nicho has had in the squad and that could be the reason. Keating should have been introduced before Harrod as he is an impact player, Reid had a bad game and should have been subbed after half time. Sparkes and Young are the only ones up to it today. Why Keating was not used is beyond belief. Nicho only changed the formation when it was to late. It became a total mess.

When we were 1-0 up he should have assessed the situation after half time and settled for 1-0 tightened up but he always wants to play open and anything can happen. We are not good enough to play like that.(OPEN)
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 21:20 Begin? The reasons haven't changed, the scenario is playing itself out nicely for someone...........
Your dislike of Harrop for whatever reason is fine , you have your reasons but there can simply be no defence of Nico. The shambolic defending has been a feature since day one. I've said all season that it's the worst back four I've ever seen at Plainmoor and all of them were signed and played by this manager. His complete blind spot to this is inexcusable. Signing Harrad was crazy when in all honesty one horrible dominant centre back in the Branston mode would probably have been enough to keep us up. We are bloody a embarrassment and as bad as Guisely were today, it came as no surprise when they beat us with ten men. A pub team would score goals against us. We are shocking and enough is enough
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When I left Plainmoor yesterday a group of Guiseley fans walked towards me singing "We know we are shite"

It just made things seem so much worse given that their team had walked away with the 3 points donated by our defence. It is so weird that we keep a clean sheet at Barrow and concede 5 goals in two games at home to Sutton and Guiseley.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Saying that the "scenario is playing out nicely for someone" is nonsense. I have praised Nicholson for what he did last season, but really he is a dead man walking after yesterdays result.

His "fine margins" cobblers is just that. Sure if we had scored three we would have won, but we didn't. Playing 10 men for most of the game - part timers at that and losing is disgraceful.

If it had happened once well fair enough but last week it was Sutton minus the pie eating goalie (well minus any goalie in fact)

Six points would have seen us nigh on safe. This is Chris Roberts stuff really.

Sure we havn't got any money - everyone appreciates that but Nicholsons signings have been a disgrace and wasting money on Harrad was just the about the final straw.

Guiseley have got less resources than we have. But they have a new manager and have won four games of late

Nicholsons a good bloke, he isn't Farcegreaves lets face it. Whatever Clarke Osborne is he isn't a fool. He might look like Mr Shifty but he isn't Old Mother Bristow.

So I guess by tomorrow we will know what GI's plans are. If has been muted Gi don't care if we go down then they will simply do nothing and keep Nicholson - the outcome is certain.

The other option is to install a proper manager (not the Weeble) and back him with enough funds to keep us up.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Just got back to a not so sunny Barnsley after my trip down yesterday.
First the good bits..... :)
Meeting forevertufc, taxilady, trojan67 and Martin. A nice drink or three in B&L...
On to the game.....thought they did well first half and I asked my co supporters if this was the best they'd seen...
Oh yes was the reply!!!!! I thought they pressed well, put guiseley under pressure. 1-0 at HT was a bit of a worry after the total domination of a poor team. Felt good at HT....
The match turned bizarrely on their man getting sent off...they pushed forward nothing to lose...and of course the inevitable happened....a lucky f*cking goal though..... :@
And that was it. We were sh1te and their winner duly arrrived.
Still a chance to get something out of the game but as the guys said, wait for the subs....
Apparently the same as last week there was one half chance near the end but apart from that....nothing.
B*llocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

for those who missed Vermas wonder strike -

dont watch after that!!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 10:21 In South Brent Bixie!!!! =D
Actually, I hope my home form continues.....as since moving ooop north I've yet to see them lose on the hallowed Plainmoor turf.... :)

Even if one of those was a dire 0-0 midweeker v Accrington!!!!! =D
Bloke I work with who is a big Birmingham (and Argyle :no: ) fan says he chatted to a Torquay fan from Barnsley in his South Brent local at the weekend. I guess this was you Supes?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jerry wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 12:52 Bloke I work with who is a big Birmingham (and Argyle :no: ) fan says he chatted to a Torquay fan from Barnsley in his South Brent local at the weekend. I guess this was you Supes?
Yes Jerry, it was I.... in the Pack Horse Inn.... :)
A good chat a few drinks were partaken.... :)
And we won't hold it against him that he supports the gargs!! :no: :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 13:34 Yes Jerry, it was I.... in the Pack Horse Inn.... :)
A good chat a few drinks were partaken.... :)
And we won't hold it against him that he supports the gargs!! :no: :rofl:
He was very impressed with your t-shirt! :rofl:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The size or the fact he could get it over his head?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com