Torquay Utd V Sutton Utd 25/02

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Graffiti spray painted on the rundown slum social housing built on the Plainmoor Stadium footprint :

TORQUAY UNITED - THE FOOTBALL CLUB THAT DIED OF SHAME

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Nearly 24 hrs later I am still incensed and seething after that 'performance'
Agree with Tomogulls post, I thought Nicho would change it , if not when the keeper went off at least 15 minutes
later, when as quite often the opponents realise our bark is worse than our bite, Lathrope may look 'fantastic' in training but in matches he is pedestrian and just knocks 10 yard square passes , and Verma is not the player to be supporting the lone striker ! For Gods sake play two strikers, Keating and Reid wide, or Reid in the middle where he is more effective and Critchlow wide. I am sure Keating would have worked few shooting opportunities for himself

L
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 13:31 Some of their players are part-time, but still they looked the team that wanted it more than we did.
'Wanting it more' has nothing to do with being either part-time or full-time; it has to do with character, pride and motivation.

I've said it before on here, there is little difference between Torquay's full-timers in for three mornings a week before travelling on a Friday to an away match than a part-time club also calling it's players in for three mornings a week ~ the same time on the training pitch for both in the fitness conditioning programme AND on the training ground preparing tactically; it's down to the quality of the coaching/training and management.

Forget the concept of part-timers coming in for a couple of evenings a week after work....that went out of the window years ago at this level with the exception of one or two rather backward clubs . If a player wants this type of arrangement he has to play a lot lower down the pyramid because nowadays the job has to fit in around the football and not vice versa.

I know a number of young pro's who are on part-time deals and don't even bother with another income but 'live at home with mum' or the girlfriend on the cheap; maximising their youth and not thinking about getting 'serious' until those days are gone and why shouldn't they?

I watched Dulwich Hamlet's part-timers take on and match Macclesfield's full-timers yesterday in a wind affected game notable for it's lack of hoofing, balls played into feet and spaces and three long range goals of exceptional quality that DID take advantage of that wind..........a far more intelligent approach of 'shoot at all costs' than many on here would advocate I think.

I thought the part-timers certainly finished the stronger on the day and the key to the outcome of the replay on Tuesday night will be in who recovers the best from yesterday.
Last edited by merse btpir on 26 Feb 2017, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Trojan 67 wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 15:19 Graffiti spray painted on the rundown slum social housing built on the Plainmoor Stadium footprint :

TORQUAY UNITED - THE FOOTBALL CLUB THAT DIED OF SHAME

:engflag:
TORQUAY UNITED - THE CLUB THAT DIED OF FAN APATHY is more appropriate.

Just let everyone ride roughshod without protest. Petitions and a few sing songs on the pop aimed at players and owners who don't give a toss.

Apathy not shame Troj.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Season ticket monies
Gate monies
Sponsorship monies
Transfer fee monies
Fans player monies

Squandered by incompetence!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

We know all that Kev, just like we know the current board and previous board have sold us down the river.

The question is what are we as fans going to do about it?

As much as I admire proactive steps, petitions just won't touch the sides.

We all slag off managers and players for doing the same old thing when it's not working and expecting things to change but IMO that's just what fans are doing.

Plodding off down the Plainmoor hoping this week on and off the pitch it will be different. Fans have been doing the same thing for the past 4 years expecting different results. Whilst I cannot praise their commitment to the club enough, it's a futile repetition of wasted time and money.

I think it is safe to assume that the situation at the club is likely to get worse and if fans do nothing and just keep turning up and hoping then why do GI or anyone have to listen? There is nowt to listen to. They've picked on the easiest club to go and steal because fans will just accept anything and opt for bleating their disgust over social media rather than take any action that would leave GI no option but to take notice.

All this could be futile do but it's surely better than a petition and whinging under our breaths? If the club goes bust it is important to ask ourselves if we have done the utmost we could to save it from oblivion and the answer has to be yes.

Petition fine. Protests and boycotts are a necessity. I'm sure many will disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the most appropriate way forward.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 18:12 But Chaney played arcadia so at least you were happy with probably one of the weakest players strength wise coming into a game where we were being out muscled across the pitch?
I stand by what I've said about Chaney he's a good prospect but he needs a striker to play off but Williams was taken off. Chaneys not strong but he's got vision something the rest of the side are lacking. Today Young played in his right position but it took an injury for Nicho to play him there.
So fed up only just seen this. Chaney is not an impact player he needs to start. Keating should have started.
Last edited by arcadia on 26 Feb 2017, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The Non-League Paper's Team of the Day has in goal .......Simon Downer (Sutton United).
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

As soon as their keeper was injured and 15 minutes later had to leave the field I said right we have to bombard their goal from any distance. Sutton were shell shocked until we went to sleep on a short corner and Deacon scored. That moment changed the game completely.

It is all about concentration every minute of every game. Lack of concentration even for 15 seconds can cost a goal as we have seen all season.
It has been said before but we are so predictable. I feel like going out to Seale Hayne and telling Nicho and Robbie what to do!! After all I have been watching pro football for 60 years and played the game for 15 years. We never use a "training ground move" like a short corner. I bet Sutton practise that move all the time. We are, as a full time Club, being out thought by part time teams and it has got to stop.

I like Brendan Moore but sorry to say he cost us the game yesterday but I can forgive him. What I cannot forgive, or begin to understand, is why we failed to get one decent shot on target for 75 minutes apart from Brett Williams goal.It is inexplicable.

McGinty should know with his experience how to boss and organise the team. Make him Captain as center backs are in the thick of the action in all games. Give him the responsibility just like Nicho gave the job to Angus.I like Verma but yesterday you would never have known he was the Captain.

I am going to send Nicho "Move of the Week" once a week based on TV Matches. In life always copy the best.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Once Moore stopped and changed his mind about coming for the ball I knew it was to late and it was going in.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Yorkie, what do you propose the fans should do? You mention protests and boycotts. What do you think that will achieve? Just curious.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Yorkieandy wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 16:27 We know all that Kev, just like we know the current board and previous board have sold us down the river.

The question is what are we as fans going to do about it?

As much as I admire proactive steps, petitions just won't touch the sides.

We all slag off managers and players for doing the same old thing when it's not working and expecting things to change but IMO that's just what fans are doing.

Plodding off down the Plainmoor hoping this week on and off the pitch it will be different. Fans have been doing the same thing for the past 4 years expecting different results. Whilst I cannot praise their commitment to the club enough, it's a futile repetition of wasted time and money.

I think it is safe to assume that the situation at the club is likely to get worse and if fans do nothing and just keep turning up and hoping then why do GI or anyone have to listen? There is nowt to listen to. They've picked on the easiest club to go and steal because fans will just accept anything and opt for bleating their disgust over social media rather than take any action that would leave GI no option but to take notice.

All this could be futile do but it's surely better than a petition and whinging under our breaths? If the club goes bust it is important to ask ourselves if we have done the utmost we could to save it from oblivion and the answer has to be yes.

Petition fine. Protests and boycotts are a necessity. I'm sure many will disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the most appropriate way forward.
says the 'fan' that boycotted supporting TUFC for a different football team altogether...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 15:16 Tomogull - if it was "windy and made it difficult for goalkeepers" what exactly was our excuse considering they didn't have a keeper in goal?
Very simple, Brucie - in the 90 minutes, we had TWO shots on target. Luke Young's goal which the 'keeper would have saved if he wasn't struggling and Brett Williams' goal. You had to be there to believe it was so bad. I was being rather kind to Brendan Moore when I posted about the windy conditions. He should have done better with their 2nd & 3rd goals.

I remember you posting that Nicho was trying to manage the side with two hands tied behind his back. You're dead right and I'm wondering if the pressure is getting to him and that's affecting his decisions. I think it was Mourinho who said last week that you can get into a habit of losing as well as a habit of winning. That seems to be where we are at present. The football in recent weeks has been about as bad as it gets.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I would suggest that Nicholson is sacked should we enter the bottom 4. This might be as early as Tuesday night.

Either the board (who ever they are) invest in trying to keep us up or they appeal to the Players Fund in order for us to strengthen the matchday squad.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: