Barrow V Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Burnhamgull wrote: 18 Feb 2017, 20:14 A good bonus point today but the next four games are critical and could well decide our season.
I think G.I. could do this. :devil:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 18 Feb 2017, 20:00 I heard Maidstone need ground improvements they cannot afford or could be relegated anyway, maybe Merse can confirm or deny this ?
I think Maidstone are more likely to go down for footballing reasons than for stadium deficiencies however they have commenced with the building of a new covered terrace at the North End of the Gallagher Stadium. This terrace is to have a capacity of 1,768 which will almost push it up to Football League requirements and can be segregated between home and away supporters. In order to 'future proof' the stand and also giving an insight into the ambitions of the Club, then the stand is being built in such a way that if need be it could be easily converted into an all-seated stand. Their biggest problem there is the existence of mains services running beneath the currently level and uncovered strip down the side of the pitch and that will take a lot of finance plus planning permission to re-navigate those outside the ground.

The club has really run ahead of itself on the field in comparison to the financial re-structuring and move into the Gallagher Stadium when you consider the club had debts of £350,000 and dwindling attendances as a consequence of ground sharing with Ashford Town, another troubled club that itself went into administration a year later before the current investors came in and rescued them purchasing that debt off the previous chairman Paul Bowden-Smith who know has Thamesmead Town FC.

I'm not aware of any sword of Damaclese hanging over them regards staying in the National League however.....you really should stop holding on to these desperate thoughts desperado!

The owners have already redeveloped their stadium once to meet the Conference South requirement of 3,000 capacity. It will need to hold up to 4,000 if the club makes it to the Conference Premier ~ which will be achieved this summer ~ and up to 5,000 for League 2...........they'll be OK on that front.

The recent extension to the grandstand has already increased the stadium’s total cost to £3.6 million, upping costs to about £4 million when the previous regime's debts are included. The two private investors have invested £2.7m ~ a figure they hope to eventually recoup ~ with the rest of the liabilities paid for by profits. They are generating profits year-on-year, but this has already gone back into building the ground. They have no spare cash. This year has been very cash-tight because the main stand extension cost £650,000. The next increase in capacity will cost £1.5 million. That could take six years of profits to cover. If they want to go up fast we will have to find a way to raise capital or borrow more to do that.

The club is on a firm financial footing, helped by a deal with construction firm Gallagher Group to pay in advance for another five years of the naming rights to the club’s stadium until 2022......Torquay United have a lot to learn from them!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It makes no sense to me. Assuming that GI don't want relegation then they are going to have to stump up for a player or two. Blissett must have been about the highest wage earner I guess. We have saved on his wages and brought in err Harrad, who seems to be even a bigger disaster than the one that everybody forecast.

I know he's supposed to have personal problems but they must be pretty bad to warrant a no show for about six weeks. Perhaps he ought to tear up his contract and do us a favour.

As we apparently just missed out on Moore (or was that just bullshit to keep the fans quiet) - presumably we would not have got him for £300 a week.

Now Harrop is telling us "that every club is looking for a centre forward" - blimey its just as well that he is getting paid for coming out with a nuggets like that.

They should give Osborne, Harrop, Nicholson and Co a set of Violins - they are like Nero - the **** lot of them. Fiddling whilst Rome Burns.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

A much improved performance yesterday, we where clearly more organised than previous matches I have seen this season. team effort was more evident. Without stating the obvious we need a war horse striker, get him and we will stay up. Williams needs support.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 18 Feb 2017, 17:52 Wivelgull spot on again...... :} :rofl:
........ and I bet he didn't forecast Whitby Town losing 2 - 1 at home to mid-table Barwell either, after being 1 - 0 up at half-time. The Seasiders are stumbling, Wivel. They're still 3rd but teams below them have games in hand, right down to Matlock (3 games in hand, 3 pts behind and a better goal difference) and Spennymoor (4 games in hand, 6 pts behind with a massively better goal-difference). It isn't looking too promising ........ I'm sure Brucie will agree. :(
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Incidentally, an ex-United player was in the Barwell team on Saturday. A certain Callum Ball, whom I remember playing for us (on loan?) three or four seasons ago; he scored both goals. A bit of a carthorse, but he put himself about a bit and more or less bullied the Whitby defence. There's another six-pointer at the Turnbull Ground on Saturday, when we are home to Stourbridge.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

He had potential.... but also had carthorse potential, seems like he chose the latter as his career has never taken off
Played well at Swindon in a League Cup tie but that was about it, mind you playing up front in a struggling side with the
holidaying Karl Hawley didn't help
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

I was at this game and remember leaving with disappointment and distaste in my mouth. 2 points dropped for Barrow AFC. I'm afraid to report Torquay came here to spoil that day. It was understandable, but it was not in the spirit of the game.

Ray