Barrow V Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dangerousden
Trialist
Trialist

Barrow V Torquay United

Post by Dangerousden »

To all you Torquay United fans visiting Barrow on the 18th February for the forthcoming Vanarama National League match. We would like to invite you all to come along to the Barrow Football Supporters Club for your pre match drinks in the bar or lounge.
We are a separate entity to Barrow AFC but we are based only 100 yards from the football ground. We get very busy on match days with home fans and away fans using our club, everyone is made welcome. We have BT Sport featuring the 5th round FA Cup tie Burnley V Lincoln. The club is open on match days at 11am.
We also offer parking (for the non drinker) on our car park at only £2 a car, please note we can only accommodate about 80 cars. For those who may be travelling the day before, there is a Travelodge directly opposite our club.
If you have any queries then just place them on this thread and I will respond.
It is looking like a cracking game so may the best team win.

Regards
Dangerousden

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialsoc ... e_internal#
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yes can recommend the supporters club - nice beer at a good price.
It was a Tuesday night and the game finished 1-1... we were dire too!!!
But better than that it's where I spanked Gulliball at pool! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A win for Barrow, though. As follows:

Barrow (2) 3
TUFC (0) 0

Att: 1667.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

No Wivel
Barrow 0 Torquay 4 oh sorry I was dreaming of 1969, Fred Binney scored , he was never that great for us was he, until
he went to Exeter ! God even Bob Glozier scored that day, a goal from him about as rare as one from Damon Lathrope

Seriously, Barrow 1 Torquay 2 (Lathrope 2)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

desperado wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 15:21 No Wivel
Barrow 0 Torquay 4 oh sorry I was dreaming of 1969, Fred Binney scored , he was never that great for us was he, until
he went to Exeter !
Seriously, Barrow 1 Torquay 2 (Lathrope 2)
Actually, I thought Fred Binney was the one player who wasn't given a fair chance by Frank O'Farrell, but he was at the club at the same time as Stubbsy and Tommy Northcott so his chances were limited. I think Frank was rather lukewarm about Binney's all action, hustling style. But he went on to be a prolific goalscorer, playing for Exeter (where he is still fondly remembered by old gits of our era), Brighton and Plymouth. Oh that we had a Fred Binney at Plainmoor now .....

By the way, seriously - Lathrope scoring twice ?? You can't be serious !! ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 15 Feb 2017, 00:12 Actually, I thought Fred Binney was the one player who wasn't given a fair chance by Frank O'Farrell, but he was at the club at the same time as Stubbsy and Tommy Northcott so his chances were limited. I think Frank was rather lukewarm about Binney's all action, hustling style. But he went on to be a prolific goalscorer, playing for Exeter (where he is still fondly remembered by old gits of our era), Brighton and Plymouth. Oh that we had a Fred Binney at Plainmoor now .....

Fred's dilemma was that he was just not good enough football wise to easily fit into a United side that was light years ahead of what we have now.........this was a top third division side pressing for promotion and as such Fred was trying to make the huge step from the South Western and then Western League and working in the dockyard for a living, training two evenings a week after travelling up from Plymouth to full-time status.

He overcame that lack of culture with sheer hard work and determination and in going to Exeter on loan at the time sent him to one of the League's weakest clubs of the time with just 16 professionals (rather like United now) and no other footballing structure. They provided a great grounding for the lad and he seized it with both hands.

Martin Gritton did a similar thing with Argyle under Kevin Hodges when he brought him in from Penzance and in the past Fred's contemporaries Mike Bickle and Derek Rickard did very well at Argyle when coming on from the South Western League.

I played against both Bickle and Rickard in that league and they were light years ahead of the norm. The SWL could have those players in those days because the structure of non league football in the south west was not what it is now........Tiverton, Dawlish and Exmouth were still in the Exeter & District League and they were the next step up available for any likely south Devon lads. United employed just two apprentices and a smattering of groundstaff boys from the Republic of Ireland and Scotland who (due to their nationality) were not eligible for apprenticeships. We all trained at Plainmoor on Tuesday and Thursday night after a day at work/college/school and those of my ability level were farmed out to Newton Spurs to play in the SWL or South Devon Premier League as teenagers in a tough men's environment.

We took some horrendous hidings in the SWL but with the experience of people like Don Mills, Tommy Northcott and George Northcott amongst us it never did us any harm. The 'nursery club' arrangement was a great idea and previously Spurs had been the nursery for Exeter City where some very good emerging youngsters first cut their teeth.

To my mind if United have got any sense they would be looking at Peninsula wannabees Watcombe Wanderers (now moved into their new ground at Newton Abbot, Liverton or even Buckland Athletic to be able to place young talent they take on next season where they can play at weekends whilst getting a more cultured involvement in a midweek league alongside the local development centres in the the U19 National Development League.

In that south west division they would have games against three different Chelsea Foundation set ups (from Devon & Cornwall) Swindon Town FICC, Argyle, Birmngham City (south west development centre) AFC Bournemouth (SW dev centre) Portsmouth (SW dev centre) and Exeter City.

Until Christmas I was managing (not coaching) a north London community project in a similar league going head to head with development sides from Crystal Palace, Barnet, QPR, Southampton, Cambridge United and Leyton Orient at weekends as well as midweek showcase visits to EPPP academies like Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Luton, Yeovil, AFC Wimbledon , Oxford United and Cambridge United giving young academy drop outs and potential academy incumbents from north and east London a second chance and at the same time showing the pro' clubs just what is out there in comparison to what they currently have signed on.

You can see from this league set up how much competition there now is in the south west to monitor and hoover up developing football potential. United need to get busy and get busy NOW!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Off on our travels today with our away record appearing to give us a couple of chances of getting something against Paul Cox's Barrow ie Bob Hope and No Hope.

We take on Cox's long ball punters having been strengthened by the signing of Critchlow, another vastly inexperienced youngster whom I guess the manager probably hasn't seen play. Is Young injured. Harrad is still absent on compassionate leave - luckily he appeared at Plainmoor long enough to grab a contract and hasn't been seen since.

He's almost up there with Raccine, the Plymouth Yts boy and the lad from Bournemouth as a whole raft of dismal signings.

Anyway onto the game - Barrow are missing Beeley on a three match ban and midfielder Wright who was sent off in the week in the away win at Macclesfield. A decent performance as they won despite being down to ten men in the second half. In fact Cox's side enjoy a red card or two because they were reduced to nine men in the previous away game at Aldershot.

However it didn't stop them grabbing a ninety six minute equaliser - a staggering effort.

Cox has strengthened with loans signings from Blackburn and Wigan. Connor Thomson is a 6 foot 3 winger/full back who is apparently lightning quick, and has just signed a new contract at his club. Platt is the under 23 captain. Luke Burke has made five appearances in the championship this season.

Is it me or does every other club appear to obtain loan signings about two classes higher than we can muster?

Looking at the Betfair prices we have (actual price/fair odds price)

Barrow 1.65/2.17 (-44%)

Draw 4.19/4.1 (-3%)

Torquay 5.9/3.32 (+111%)

So the value is with Torquay if you fancy us to keep a clean sheet and rely on Brett Williams to fall over and get a penalty (assuming he doesn't take it himself of course)

Barrow have conceded 0 or 1 goal in 13/16 home games this season (81.25%)

They have only failed to score in 2/16 (12.5%)

Torquay have scored 1 goal or not scored in 14/16 away games (87.5%)

They have actually failed to score in 10/16 (62.5%)

These are seriously atrocious stats and on these figures you would be certified for backing Torquay at 10/1 let alone just shy of fives.

Looking for a crumb of comfort Barrow have actually lost 2 out of their last 3 home games (their only defeats at home). One goal defeats to Southport and FGR. However sandwiched between that was a 3-0 demolition of Lincoln.

So I am finding it hard to recommend anything to bet on. I will go 2-0 to Barrow @ 8.5 with Bet Victor.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Expecting a very physical game and no points, the best we can hope is no injuries to further deplete our thread bare squad or any foolish sending's off.

If I were Kevin I would want to make sure that he comes down the motorway with a squad fit and ready to play the next few games, as these up and coming, so called 6 point games, will ultimately decide our future in the League.

Our away form and goal scored is one of the worst in the league and I can not see it improving today.

Would love to see a Forest Green type performance but expecting a battering!
4 nil Barrow

COYY!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I really hope we can put in a descent performance for all our travelling fans. No excuses regarding the travelling seeing that they went up yesterday and stayed in a hotel.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I know it's "a funny old game" but can't see us getting anything today.
As has been mentioned I think the best we can hope for is no injuries or red cards. :-/
Unless of course the young lad from QPR is actually Ronaldo.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Is everyone else getting the rugby commentary - Radio Devon are sh*ite!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No, listening to BBC radio Cumbria, got the football.. ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Happy to go in even at half time. Doesn't sound like we are being overrun........yet!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Was Richards injured when replaced by Young?

TUST Member 468

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Yes - he limped off, but didn't sound too serious.