Bromley vs Torquay 04/02/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 13:28 the next opportunity for a full scale fans revolt came when, no one charged with running our club seemed to grasp, our club would lose in the region of reportedly £600k of income PER SEASON upon relegation back to the non-league, and what was needed, was a proven fire fighter, would have cost more than the cheap and nasty Hargreaves option, but would have paid for itself, ten times over.

Do me a favour......Torquay United fans don't 'do' fans' revolts ~ never have and never will but you are on the money; it was the dreadful appointment of Farcegreaves that did for this club. A dependence on the fabled notion of #legend status that was repeated in the appointment of Nicholson.

The job is too difficult to be handed out as a gift for someone to learn the ropes in; the club teetering too close to the edge to be entrusted to a learner driver and the club bereft of anyone with the necessary knowledge of non league football, it's management requirements and the DNA necessary in players being signed to be successful at this level.

The National League is NOT a fourth division of the English Football League; it is the pinnacle of the non league game and that is a whole different universe!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The difference between Bromley and Torquay was Torquay were by far the better side and were all over Bromley in the second half. But the final third of play was our downfall no one was inventive enough to run into the channels and Williams in not a Bliss/Moore target man. Aside from the penalty Bromley from my viewpoint were an even worse side. McGinity does hoofball but he can and did play ball to feet out of defence quite majestically at times. For me he was the backbone of the team and my MOTM (I know others will not agree). Richards on the other hand gains a 100% for effort but nought for midfield skill. Fitzpatrick will be a big miss when he leaves.

On the subject of a new stadium - one need only to look at the Bromley ground to realise that Plainmoor is the Conference Leagues 'Stadium of Dreams'. Until GI invest substantial money into the club for a promotion winning team then sustainability is the priority, not a new stadium.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 14:15 .

Do me a favour......Torquay United fans don't 'do' fans' revolts ~ never have and never will but you are on the money; it was the dreadful appointment of Farcegreaves that did for this club. A dependence on the fabled notion of #legend status that was repeated in the appointment of Nicholson.

The job is too difficult to be handed out as a gift for someone to learn the ropes in; the club teetering too close to the edge to be entrusted to a learner driver and the club bereft of anyone with the necessary knowledge of non league football, it's management requirements and the DNA necessary in players being signed to be successful at this level.

The National League is NOT a fourth division of the English Football League; it is the pinnacle of the non league game and that is a whole different universe!
Totally Agree, TUFC fans don't revolts, not sure whether you misunderstood my point or not, but for me it's about timing, and my suggestion is the time for a revolt has gone, say us TUFC did muster the balls to march on Plainmoor at the next home game with pitchforks and torches a lit, what will it change, now, nothing, G.I are not going to come out and say, we hear you, here's a few million of our bottom line to rebuild your club, our club is going have to be re-built brick by brick, unless someone with a love for our club comes into some real serious money.

Agree with the sentiment about Hargreaves and Nicho. Nicho, spoke to him a few times, he's genuinely is a good guy, we all know he works his fingers to the bone for our club, and goes above and beyond, but we're not a charity, we're supposed to be a professional football club, for me results, performances haven't been close to good enough, as I said on the Gateshead thread, 1 in 10 is not good enough, Wrexham have just won 5 on the spin, that's how you get yourself out of trouble.

Yes Nicho hasn't had money to spend like some of his recent predecessors, but over the years I've posted about scouting to the point I've bored myself on the subject, when you've little money to spend, scouting becomes all the more important as you know, we're paying for some lazy recruitment over the summer.

I come up with two examples straight away, of how the talent is out there if you look for it. Omar Bogle, from Hinckley to Solihull Moors prior to their promotion to the NLP, picked up by Grimsby now signed by Wigan.

And Kurtis Guthrie, born Jersey, from the humble beginnings of ST clement and Trinity, before FGR picked him from Welling, now at the age 23 free scoring in league 2 for Colchester.
Last edited by Dave on 05 Feb 2017, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

When you read these last few posts you realise what a shambles our club has become.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Dont want to re-open the Hargreaves debate but did we really do so badly in his one and only full season in charge ?
Most fans would bite your hand off for a mid table 13th finish with 61 points now. It was the mid season slump after an exceptional start that did for him and the lack of a proper goalkeeper which cost us enough points to have had us in the play offs
Nice to hear we were actually all over a team in the second half yesterday, but worrying that we still lost
Unless we get a physical presence up front we will be relegated
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

(Totally off topic, but I seem to be having an issue with this thread and no others. When I login to the forum and click to see my last read post for this thread, it only shows 2 pages. When I refresh the page it then shows 5 pages, but when I click "First Unread Post" it only goes to Page 2. All other threads seem to be working as I'd expect, so I was just wondering if there was anyone else having a similar issue or just me? I'm on a MacBook Air with Safari all patched up).
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 19:28Dont want to re-open the Hargreaves debate but did we really do so badly in his one and only full season in charge ?
He took us out of the Football League for Chrissake ~ get real!

In that 'only full season in charge' he and his management team were costing the club £3,800 a week of which he took over half and for that they produced what?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Highlights of the game - 8min 45 sec into show

northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

I was not sure at the game and watching the footage I am even less sure...did that hit DF's hand!? The only thing that makes it seem as if it did is both the reaction of the Bromley players and the reaction of DF's who does not protest.

I would agree that we dominated the game and I would agree that we should have had at least one penalty. The problem, however, if that we failed to take our chances and that is the difference between good and bad teams. In the past I remember us having poor teams and every other week people saying that we were "unlucky". That is no good and we need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.

It was a frustrating game and a commendable performance in some respects but what does that matter? Net result 0 points. Let's hope that we can strengthen this week.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

northlondongull wrote: 06 Feb 2017, 10:11 I was not sure at the game and watching the footage I am even less sure...did that hit DF's hand!? The only thing that makes it seem as if it did is both the reaction of the Bromley players and the reaction of DF's who does not protest.
I was more or less 'face on' to that and from where I was Fitzpatrick definitely used his left arm to propel the ball and he was right in front of the referee AND linesman.....I think this is a case where TV footage comes from a disadvantageous angle in comparison to the ref's position and as you rightfully say; there was little or no protest from United.

I remain convinced he was still sulking from being turned down for a shout for a shove in the back a little earlier, but that's a conviction not a fact.

We do need someone to consistently put the ball in the net; Jesus, we need someone able to create and make an attempt on goal which is necessitating of a save as only one of those was managed all match and that was in time added on.

As soon as Bromley went ahead I said that they would just sit on that and try to tempt United to come on to them so as to hit us on the break and so it proved. Young can do all the fanny work (as my coaching colleague and I call it when setting up a team) where it doesn't hurt the opposition; but he just does not want to get in there at close quarters with Williams and do the dirty stuff where he's going to get buffeted about. He's always been like that and a cute opponent can just sit off him and let him do that without much danger unless he unleashes one of his twice a season 'worldies'.

The only dangerous players in that United set-up are Williams and Fitzpatrick. Williams can't be allowed to run at you ~ even at the expense of taking a yellow card for the team ~ and Fitzpatrick needs to be 'shown' outside and even then because of his pace, the man marking him needs covering

....it's all so predictable.