Bromley vs Torquay 04/02/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

My man at the ground tells me one of our better performances. Always gutting to play well and come home empty handed.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Seriously. Was there even a match today?!!

Hello? Hello?

The negative about today. A loss.
The positive. Nobody below got any points today.

Another game closer to safety without even winning.

Anyone get soaked down there today?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 19:08 Seriously. Was there even a match today?!!

Hello? Hello?

Anyone get soaked?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You've got to say how many penalties have cost us games.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

They cost more as we seldom get awarded penalties ourselves!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dazza wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 19:39 They cost more as we seldom get awarded penalties ourselves!
And when are given them, we miss them
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 19:08 Seriously. Was there even a match today?!!

Hello? Hello?

Anyone get soaked down there today?
tl:dr
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Just returned from today’s match, how funny to see my daughter’s former Academy Football Coach as today’s Assistant Referee (not the young one on our side who appeared to make many errors!).

Talking of funny occurrences the stray cat on the pitch was a highlight, as was their player Dennis who told us all to f*** off and stuck two fingers up towards us as he walked around the pitch.

On a muddy and heavy pitch, route one was always going to be a preferred method of attack. Brett Williams did a good job today and worked hard, but a target man he is not – we urgently need one.

After a slow start, that included the penalty, not sure why he needed to handle in that position, we grew into the game and half time came just as we applied the pressure. This pressure continued for much of the second half, we were the stronger and better team, however, the ball was not finding the net, only the bar twice.

Bromley committed a number of poor challenges, to stop and slow the game down as our pressure began to tell in the second half.

A spirited performance, but nothing to show. Lady luck could have been kinder.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Nick Potkins wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 20:08 A spirited performance, but nothing to show. Lady luck could have been kinder.
I think (with respect) that's just deluding yourself to the obvious ~ if they carry on like that away from home they will be relegated!

Gifting them the final third of the pitch because Young is hiding from Minshull after having left his foot in on him early doors has played right into Bromley's hands only needing to sit on their lead once Fitzpatrick gifted them that petulant penalty.........annoyed at being shoved in the back without support from the ref he stupidly threw his hand at the ball and they got the match winning opportunity gifted to them.

You mention 'route one' was that the rubbish we saw from McGinty all afternoon? Ye Gods, that's not football that's hoofball and it's all you ever get from him!

Their big and tall heavyweights like Chorley and Minshull were just crying out for some close control to take the ball past them and no-one had the bottle to try it..........no-one. It was men against boys!

The team and the management's mind set isn't big, strong and ugly enough to handle this relegation fight away from home ~ that much has been obvious all season and the (whilst admirable) show of loyalty from the fans at the final whistle isn't really helping the problem because too many of these serial losers are sending the club down with their sub-standard performances and failure to establish themselves as so called full-timers over part-timers.

That is a damning indictment of the piss poor standards of management and match performance and will only be overcome by getting rid of this wholly inappropriate (for a team in this position at this stage of the season) management team!
Last edited by merse btpir on 04 Feb 2017, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 19:08 Anyone get soaked down there today?
nope; it never rained once during the game but I expect there'll now be moaning about the sun getting in their eyes. It's Bromley's fault of course for building their ground the wrong way round! :~D
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just logged in this morning to find the result, says it all. And I don't think I will be the only one.

Cant be interested that much while owned by a get rich quick property developers who have done NOTHING since taking over, AND will do NOTHING, other than seek to make money out of ALL of us!

I wont be renewing my season ticket that's for sure.
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 22:10 nope; it never rained once during the game but I expect there'll now be moaning about the sun getting in their eyes. It's Bromley's fault of course for building their ground the wrong way round!
the teams come out & MellowYellow has to shelter from the rain! :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Definitely weather for the waterproofs :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The very real danger is the acceptance of this sort of outcome as a reasonable one. I barely shrugged my shoulders, didn't bother listening because the outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I expect us to lose to clubs like Bromley, Sutton, Boreham Wood, the sort of clubs we used to think as a patronising day out if we drew them in the FA Cup.

We all know how we got into this mess but is still galling when you see Plymouth and Exeter chasing promotion out of the division above. There is the very real prospect that, next season, we could three divisions below Exeter City. Four below Burton Albion.

I know they are examples of well-run clubs and that we are the opposite but that is not my point. My point is the now current belief that struggling against relegation is this shithole of a division is somehow acceptable. That the manager can say his players did everything he asked of them so that's ok then. Losing to Bromley is ok then.

Talk prospects down enough, play the old 'woe is us' card and people start thinking the current state of affairs is reasonable. There really should be full-scale revolt from supporters at the way this club has been allowed to falter - it would at many other clubs - but here we are; heading to the parks of the Conference South and barely anyone bats an eyelid.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think it's got anything to do with a blind acceptance of our fate, or people not prepared to bat an eyelid as we fall from grace. I think it's down to many of us, myself included realizing that the time for mass fans revolt, passed us by, along, long time ago.

The good ship TUFC was steered towards the rocks, by Bill, Simon and friends well before Dave Phillips and co got involved, the time for a full scale fans revolt was when our board seemed unprepared to back Martin Ling when our club was sat second in league 2, but needed a couple of players to see us over the line.

Martin Ling sold £650k worth of players, to be given, not a penny to re-invest in the team, the next opportunity for a full scale fans revolt came when, no one charged with running our club seemed to grasp, our club would lose in the region of reportedly £600k of income PER SEASON upon relegation back to the non-league, and what was needed, was a proven fire fighter, would have cost more than the cheap and nasty Hargreaves option, but would have paid for itself, ten times over.

Problem is Hector, it's all to late, the horse hasn't just bolted, it did a runner from Ashburton, and now lives in New York, a mass fans revolt now, will achieved the sum total of fork all.
Formerly known as forevertufc