Bromley vs Torquay 04/02/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Mellow, I have nice trips away this season, apart from the football. All have been welcoming (especially Maidstone). The fans have been friendly and pleased that we have made the trip. I wear a hat and scarf in Torquays colours, many fans have said safe trip home etc and hope you stay up. I do not like being in the National League but I have to say there is a far better atmosphere towards rival fans although I didn't get any hostility in the football league either. I always try and find a local boozer near the ground and have had a superb time before the match. There are some really good days out to be had on away trips with Torquay. If only the football would improve.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

taxilady wrote: 02 Feb 2017, 22:39 need you back with your drum Andy !!! And where were you when we played at York ? Looked everywhere for you ! :slap:

I'm thinking about re-emerging though soon Nina. As early as this season. Done a lot of soul searching about football and been to see a lot of different teams since relegation at Mansfield and despite my best efforts to find utopian answers to how football clubs are run and to try and replicate the fun I had following Torquay around the country, I cannot do either.

I've been on my own journey these past 3 years or so and come to the conclusion that you support one club and you go and support that club whatever happens. Completely contrary to much of my previous beliefs. Yes you get arseholes running clubs but they are temporary and the club is permanent. Such a simple statement but it's taken me over 3 years to accept this.

I've got no idea if those I used to stand around still even go to games now or indeed if I'll be shunned if I bumped into them but I made a mistake. Many actually. I'm sure everyone are decent people and can understand. If not then it's not really important.

The primary thing is that the football club get more support and more finance and they are two things I used to bring.

The club is still run by monkeys IMO but whilst it still exists I think you have to just do whatever is in your control and forget about what you can't control. In the past i didn't try to address my grievances with the relevant people appropriately and chose to use forums to slag off the club, board and sometimes some of the fans. Unacceptable on my part and unconstructive. That has changed.

I've always maintained that the quality of football Torquay play and what league they are in has no bearing on whether I go to games or not. Being taken for an idiot was always the number one reason why I stopped going.

Now with my change of thinking , i still believe the current board and investors are taking fans for idiots but if i refuse to let that affect me and concentrate on supporting the club even more , then morally, what ever happens i (and others) can hold their heads up high and proudly say they did the right thing.

I've not helped the club one bit the last 3 or so seasons but I'd like to think i had a bit of credit in the yellow bank to make up for some of that at least.

Anyway, nothing i can do about that now. I won't be going to Bromley but could do Barrow, Wrexham and Lincoln but I'll have to see.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Come over to the Turnbull tomorrow, Mr. Andy! We are at home to Skelmersdale United.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

wivelgull wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 10:38 Come over to the Turnbull tomorrow, Mr. Andy! We are at home to Skelmersdale United.
God. Easy home win then Wivel. They are atrocious. Watched a bit of Matlock Town this season who as you know are in the same league as Whitby and a last minute Dinanga goal won that game over Whitby just before Xmas. :na: Good footballer that Dinanga. Matlock were looking good a few weeks back but have dived the last few games into midtable.

Let's just will the Gulls on to a win on Saturday and take it from there. :)
bromleyfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by bromleyfan »

Hi all, Bromley Fan here. If you're looking for a decent pub before the game I can recommend the Bricklayers Arms which is about a 10 minute walk from the ground. There's always a few of us friendly local fans in there beofe the game and the pub is happy to host travelling fans. Decent range of beers, it's a Shepherd Neame pub. Hopefully see some of you there. Have a safe trip up.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Just as BTPIR recommended at the start of the week! :clap:
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

Moore
Hodgkiss GG McGinty LRT
Fitzpatrick Richards Young Verma Sparkes
Williams

Torquay 2 (Williams 2)
Bromley 2

I would take a draw given our form on the road.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 06:39 I enjoyed their directors box hospitality ... need to adhere to their local authority safety standards... doubt this pile of poorly set-up poo ... will give you much cause to sing and shout anyway!
You make it sound more like a health and safety convention than a football match, but then again I don't have the privilege of sitting in the director's box, I am an ordinary supporter who will support Torquay vocally in good times and bad.

I agree that Bromley fans are very welcoming and even offer us to share their local pub with them so why cant Bromley FC be as welcoming and
provide us a proportion of their covered terrace instead of being exposed to tomorrows elements of winds and heavy rain. I know we are the visitors but we still pay £15 to get in and should expect at less some form of shelter - even cattle get that - for our well behaved, friendly and respectful away support. But I expect the privilege who sit in the Director's boxes, don't really care! And the irony is they wonder why crowds are so low!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Sitting in the directors box was not a 'privilege' last season; it was paid of as part of a commercial sponsorship.....and the away fans DO get access to a proportion of the limited cover at that end of the ground:

I'll be standing on that open bank tomorrow so stop mithering!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I'll mither all I like! Just because you accept what Bromley FC are willing to offer an away supporter does not sway my opinion, that we ought to have better value for our entry fee other than an outside bar and catering facility on an open bank . Its this outdated outlook that is a chief cause of disillusionment that creates a widening gulf between fans and clubs in non-league football. Anyway enough on this subject. You have a nice day on the open bank tomorrow!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

the forecast is rain stopping in the early morning, & sunny during the match. Are you going to join us in the choir Merse ? Might see you at Wrexham or Lincoln then, Yorkie Andy. I'm not going to Barrow.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

taxilady wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 20:16 the forecast is rain stopping in the early morning, & sunny during the match. Are you going to join us in the choir Merse ? Might see you at Wrexham or Lincoln then, Yorkie Andy. I'm not going to Barrow.

Yeah come on Andy your plank.
Come to Lincoln!! Bixie and I will be there! :)
Also taxilady I will be making the "short" trip to the hallowed plainmoor turf for the home game v guiseley on 4th march...
Be lovely to meet you!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 20:35
Yeah come on Andy your plank.
Come to Lincoln!! Bixie and I will be there! :)
Also taxilady I will be making the "short" trip to the hallowed plainmoor turf for the home game v guiseley on 4th march...
Be lovely to meet you!
Thought you'd fell out with me Chris :Oops:

Not seen you since York in the relegation season where I seem to recall some significant aromas were emanating from your direction that night. :lol:

Not seen Paul since we got battered at Scunny in that same season either.

Kinda didn't know what sort of reception i'd get. After all I did give up and bail despite having my reasons. You want to steer well clear of that taxilady too. She's trouble that one. :} :na:

You still doing nursing stuff then?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

You've probably picked the worst time ever to come back and pledge allegiance to the good ship Torquay. If you thought it was bad when you "bailed" last time, look out, because it's a whole pile of horse shit right now!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Thread bare squad, no investment after players injuries and loans ending. Poor away record against a decent Bromley side.

4-1 Bromley
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: