Torquay v Gateshead 28/01/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 18:31 Not a classic but we did show some grit against a very physical Gateshead side.

Interesting after match summary in which he said he said he had "told them to forget tactics" - perhaps he should do that each week and let the players chose how to play !
Yes, I heard that too! makes you wonder why we need coaches if all it takes is to 'forget tactics and formations'!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is a difficult one really, whilst our team performance was much, much improved on the last three outings, our team certainly looked mentally and physically sharper today, it much be mentioned that Gateshead did hit both crossbar and post with two very goal worthy efforts, so they'll feel hard done by.

Hodgkiss and Raccine certainty added something at the back for us, our team looked at more solid and organised at the back, and not so panicked, felt sorry for Raccine on the penalty, whilst it did appear very clumsy, he did get his boot some what stuck in the pitch (toe down) hence the injury.

Rooney was excellent when he came on. Moore deserved a lot harsh criticism after his FGR displays, much better from him again today, first class point blank save, but also good to see him come out a claim a cross and dominate his area.

Improved today, credit to all where it's due, but I can let this go with out a mention for Williams, his goal again today was proof what some have be saying, so he doesn't give a full 90 minutes, so what, he scores goals, and today from nothing, should have been in the team, now needs to kept in there.

This is just one match, but the standard shown today can't be just for one match , just to revert type in the next as we've to many times this season, the team must build on this.
Formerly known as forevertufc
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Couldn't make the match today but a much-needed win. I see that Shaun Harrad was not even on the bench today - is he injured? There was no explanation on Guy Henderson's HE match blog. Any news on Racine's injury, apparently quite serious? As always with TUFC there is a sting in the tail with any victory!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought last night that we needed 5 in midfield to get a result today and when I seen the team sheet I thought that Nicho had thought the same way but
then notice that Harrod was not available for personal reasons. So Nicho was lucky he had no choice unless he played Reid up front.

We were lucky today Moore had the luck of the gods with him for 20 minutes in the second half and I thought McGinty was man of the match. The backfour looked good but the midfield gave the ball away to much Richards passing needs to improve and yes we were bullied all second half. Fitzpatrick took his goal well and is looking a good player after a slow start.

A Message To Nicholson

If you continue to play Young in that position we will lose him out injured again he needs to be playing in a deeper position.Luke is playing at full stretch all the time and needs to be told to slow down and play within himself so he's got a little bit left to give.

Luke needs to be told to play in an area more disciplined, as he's playing like a headless chicken as a manager it's your job to look after your players a more experienced manager would have looked at this. We need Luke and if he was playing deeper he can create. Today there was to many long balls going astray this is why we lost control of the game second half.

Williams needs to stop cheating looking for free kicks and attack the ball he lets himself down. Does well on the ball when he does eventually win it.

I'm not moaning but it's sound advice. We could so easily have lost the game and I feel a few of these things would improve the team.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I enjoyed that today.

The defence looked more organised with Raccine and Hodgkiss at the back. LRT still worries me greatly at left back but one step at a time. We rode our luck for a period in the second half when Gateshead played their own version of "Let's see how many chances we can fluff" but hey we've played that game before now so lets enjoy much needed luck.

Crowd was poor but as somebody else has said, that's what happens when years of dross degenerates into a pub team mentality and level of professionalism.

I thought Williams did ok on his own up front but more importantly, when he gets a chance, you believe he can score. He took his goal well and deserves to stay in the team.

Rooney did very well when he came on, took his goal well and will play at a higher level, like McDonald.

Lastly, I'd like Reid to partner Williams up front in the next game. I think Reid makes up for Williams lack of work rate and they could work together quite well.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

arcadia wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 18:50 I'm not moaning but it's sound advice.
How humble of you. :}

Nice to see us back to winning ways, no surprise to see the lack of the usual suspects on here given that we've won, oh well. Sounded like the new boys gave us much more assurance, bit of vindication for Kev.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Madgull, we weren't 'lucky' today. Overall Gateshead were very poor and only had that spell for part of the second half. We were the better team for the rest of the match in my opinion. Their wonder strike didn't go in but ours did, it's all down to aim!

Arcadia, you are right about Young, he was stretching for some challenges and could easily have been injured. He was one of a number of our players who almost took the law into their own hands when the pathetic ref (apart from allowing that one advantage) did nothing to stem the tide of any number of niggly, and sometimes dangerous, fouls. This became laughable when their 6, who had been booked for the foul on Sparkes leading up to the first goal, persuaded the ref to book Richards after what seemed a run of the mill foul (if there is such a thing). He later had a long rant at the ref after committing yet another foul. The ref gave up lecturing him and called over their captain to have a go at him.

Burnhamgull, I know what you mean about the crowd, but 'we happy few' who were there created a fair bit of atmosphere, particularly towards the end when the team needed lifting before the third went in.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Battled well today, think we rode our luck at times and not sure I agree we were the better team for most of the match
Great run and finish from Fitz and Williams who has to stay in the team now as all that matters now is goals and points
and as someone said he scores goals out of nothing, think he would be an even bigger threat with a half decent target
man alongside. Mcginty probably MOM, and nice to have a keeper who can catch a cross, dread to think where we would be if we still had Martin Rice in goal. Speaking of keepers nice to see John Turner, though he seems to have shrunk about 3 inches, what a keeper though, up there with Mike Mahoney as the best in my time (since1963)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was a big improvement against a hard, dirty team who got away with murder because of a weak referee who issued just one yellow card to Courtney, and as gateman49 says, purely because he was coerced by a Gateshead player.

We looked much more solid in defense and Racine is clearly a leader such a shame he may be out for the season.

Special word for Hodgkiss who played very well and passes well.

Moore was excellent and it was so pleasing to see Brett Williams clinch the match after he had been fouled all afternoon.

Fitzpatrick and Sparkes are capable of delivering deadly balls into the box so in my view we must recruit a big striker who is good with his head.

Easy to say harder to do I know.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

While he wasn't the greatest referee we've seen at Plainmoor, he certainly wasn't the worst. Extremely confident he is in the minority of officials who would not have blown up for the foul on Sparkes in the build up to our opener. Absolutely cracking advantage decision there.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

gateman49 wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 20:17 Modgull, we weren't 'lucky' today.
Corrected. :}
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

madgull wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 19:55 How humble of you. :}

Nice to see us back to winning ways, no surprise to see the lack of the usual suspects on here given that we've won, oh well. Sounded like the new boys gave us much more assurance, bit of vindication for Kev.
I'm one of the critics and I've been out celebrating the win so no need to let off steam on here!

I remain doubtful that we have the right manager in place and he does say some strange things if reports about him telling the lads to forget about tactics are correct.

BUT that was a massively important win against a surprisingly poor Gateshead team.

Rooney. Williams, Fitzpatrick and Hodgkiss looked very good today.

Richards is just awful. Does the fact he is captain make him undroppable? Would much rather see Lathrope (nown fit) in there or GG given a chance in midfield.
Goody2514
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Goody2514 »

"Richards is just awful. Does the fact he is captain make him undroppable?"

He is atrocious! Makes one or two good tackles but cannot pass the ball more than two yards. I'm not sure he actually got his head up and looked before passing the ball yesterday. What's with the walking around and jumping from a standing position?, If he has a little run up, he might actually win a header from a goal kick.
Apart from Richards blagging a career as a footballer, yesterday was a much improved performance than we've seen for a few week. The two new guys at the back looked and sounded the part, so hopefully the injury is not as bad as first thought.

Good to see Young back, he's been missed!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

madgull wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 19:55 How humble of you. :}

I think the game was enjoyable but we could so easily have lost and yes the new players were an improvement and Nicho has done brilliant to turn it around but I look a head and I it's just an opinion but if you had seen the game I think you may have had the same opinion as me with regard to Young. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I don't agree with those who say Gateshead were a poor side. They are a big physical side who work hard. There were times yesterday when I thought they had more players on the pitch than us ! They seem to like to push players forward and this left them exposed at the back at times. This was almost exploited by Williams a couple of times in the first half and Fitzpatrick 'did' them for his well taken goal. The ref may not have been the worst this season, but he made a number of strange decisions against both sides. Their panto villain of a player - Fyfield - definitely got Richards booked by jabbering to the ref. And he should have later been sent off for complaining long and vehemently to the ref when a decision went against him (he had already been booked).

I thought we were lucky to win. If either of those Gateshead efforts that hit the post and bar had gone in, I think we would have lost. But the lads battled hard and earned the win. I fully agree with Arcadia about some of the tackles Young was stretching for. I winced more than once ! As for young Paul Rooney, could he turn out to be this season's Nathan Smith? He certainly deserves another chance in his favoured position after the way he played yesterday when he came on.