Torquay v Woking 14/01/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

We need a target man. I am led to believe that we had Moore all but signed until a Championship club came in and ended that. Piss poor luck really. A target man and a centre half with experience and we would have seen a very different game today.

I am a Nicholson supporter but was not overwhelmed with him getting Harrad back in. I would also like to see more of Williams but it is not as simple as we see it from the stands. There is legitimate reasons Nicho has judged him as he has and I will trust him on that judgement. In honesty Williams was a key signing and is sat on decent money so the easy decision is to play him. Nicholson is brave in not doing so as it questions his own judgement in the summer.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I thought last week was bad, today was even worse. It didn't help with an official that looked like he got off the Woking coach.

From our point of view, the only talking point was the passing and movement for our goal. It's a pity Sparkes didn't beat Poke to equalise, but there you go. When your luck is out and confidence gone, you come away with nothing.

Our passing and movement in the 1st half was dire. We were 2nd to almost everything. The only opportunity we had of any note was Reid's 1 on 1 chance.

- Why can we put 9 in the onion bag against FGR, but only 1 in the last 2 against Boredom Wood and Woking?
- Why do we have this knack of making teams below us in the table look like Premier League outfits?
- Why is Richards the Captain? Once again, there was no leadership/ communication on the pitch.
- Why was Chaney brought on before Williams? (How can Chaney get a game before Williams)
- Why was Harrad subbed instead of Reid? (I thought Reid was poor today and played too deep)

1500 attendance for a Saturday is poor for our standards, but not surprising given our form. Unless the results pick up, this will sink even lower. The sooner we conclude the off field shenanigans the better. We'll then see GI's business plan and whether they want to invest in the team or not.
Last edited by Oil Beef Hooked on 15 Jan 2017, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

As an afterthought I wonder if KN had seen Lee play before signing him!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

It's not bad luck Nazgull we are slow on and off the pitch. Woefully slow. We have dug our own pit.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I can't understand why KN didn't play Rooney again, either at right back or in place of Gerring. He had a great game last week - the lad must be disappointed (but not half as disappointed as me!).
Bert wrote: 14 Jan 2017, 18:56 As an afterthought I wonder if KN had seen Lee play before signing him!!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Blimey! What a terrible set of reports. I think I've seen a worse collection, but not by much. brucie was right again.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well I thought after last week, could we ever see such a tired, lazy, I couldn't care less performance from our team again. wind the clock on a week, and we were treated to something a lot worse, I sit here feeling truly embarrassed.

Time for the excuses to stop, yes we know the budget is limited, we know we've hampered with off the field problems, we have both individual players and a team who collectively performing to no where near, close to where they should be. I agree with Nicho on tactics and formations, end of the day, said it before, there's no magical way of setting a team up, but my biggest concern is, we have once again seen at least 8 players who are not playing for the manager, why not ?

If I had £1 today for every time, I saw a TUFC player lose the ball in midfield, then just stand there watching the Woking player run off into the sunset with the ball, would have done alright, pathetic. Lose the ball, ok, shat happens, go and win the bleedin ball back, not hard, Verma, Richards, Chaney all guilty, among others.

Don't even get me started on movement, whether that be in possession, or not, I've seen more movement from a statue than this entire TUFC team, you do not have to be a premier league super star to know, not to mark yourself out of the game, shat, that's schoolboy stuff.

Yes Nicho, the buck does stop with you, and you have 2-4 weeks to come up with the answers, otherwise we're going to pay a heavy price for some bone idle summer recruitment.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The whole afternoon was a total disaster. It confirmed that the "manager" is totally out of his depth. He didn't start Wiliams, a player he signed, because why ?
The only way this novice of a manager is taking us is down South.
Sadly there's nobody in the Directors' Box in charge to do anything and GI won't care less what league the team are in. By the time anybody wakes up it'll be too late.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Time for a change, the present regime will take us down, we sell our main striker, we need a change of management now, any other club would be ringing the changes. sorry kev, time is up!
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

It's fair to say that we (me and a few mates in the Family Stand) have officially declared ourselves the (official - to give us that certain status😍) "Brett Williams Fan Club" - we wanted him to start and we wanted him to come on a lot sooner than he did! Of course, he did eventually come on ( too late) and he scored - so we ( the Official Brett Williams Fan Club) would like to take some credit for that because, let's face it, if it had been left down to the Manager he wouldn't have got any game time at all and it would have ended 0 -2. We ( the Official BWFC) like to feel that it was our constant chanting/barracking during the game that led to the Manager finally "seeing the light" and low and behold we finally looked (for the first time in the match!) a threat going forward and Mr Williams duly obliged with a goal!

I (on behalf of the OBWFC) would have liked for him to have started, if not perhaps have come on at half time given that we were 2-0 down and desperately in need of goals, but as it happens, I correctly predicted that Mr Nicholson would leave things as they were at half time but that he would (inevitably) introduce Sam Chaney onto the field of play as the game clock struck one hour .... and of course he inevitably did!

We ( the OBWFC) would like to feel that our protestations finally resulted in a reaction from the Manager - was it the " All we are saying is give Brett a chance" or was it the "We want Brett" chants .... I can't honestly say, but either way the Manager did finally "crumble" under pressure and introduce his nemesis into the field of play ... and, of course, he inevitably delivered with a goal.

We ( the OBWFC) applauded our hero off the pitch (but not the others!) and duly slapped him on the back when we met up with him after the game in the Gulls Nest, much no doubt to the annoyance of the Manager Mr Nicholson, to congratulate him on his MOM performance. Whilst that award eventually went to Dan Sparkes, I understand that if the sponsors could have made their decision at the end of the game (rather than ten minutes before) then they would have picked Mr Williams!

Oh well, we move on to next week and the OBWFC look forward to our hero starting against Maidstone .... a forlorn hope, no doubt, as Mr Nicholson prefers his "strikers" to run around like blue assed flies ... without EVER scoring ... so our hero will NEVER start under this Manager we fear. Especially because Mr Nicholson has a "guru" (Mr Jeffrey) who he was seen constantly engaging in conversation with throughout the match ( I felt a little sorry for Mr Herrera, if I am honest, who wasn't consulted at all as far as I could see?) who is clearly not impressed with Mr Williams' efforts in the gym and in the tyre flipping stakes and so the chances of his goal changing his views are limited in the extreme!

Do I think Mr Nicholson will start him next week? No chance, even though he IS the best striker in the football club - but who cares, he doesn't "run his ass off enough,so fleck him!". As for young Mr Lee, what a disaster! I suspect we may never see him start a game again, he just isn't cut out for this level of football ... but what do you expect when you sign a kid that has never played men's football before without ever having seen him play, Mr Nicholson? Bizarre signing given that a couple of weeks ago the Manager was crying out for "experienced heads" and was on the verge ( it appears) of signing the hugely experienced 32 year old David Pipe in that position but ends up settling for some "kid" out of an Academy that has never played "men's football" before!!!

Have I (finally) lost faith in our Manager - after being so impressed with his efforts in the community and the "great escape" last year .... I will leave you to make your own minds up?

For and on behalf of the OBWFC
Last edited by CP Gull on 14 Jan 2017, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That's the thing with Williams, there may well have been a side issue between him and Nicho, we know you will not get a full match of effort from the lad, but Blisset has gone, leaving Williams the only natural goalscorer we have at the club.

The point is Williams does not need 5 chances to score a goal, right now we are facing relegation to the South division. I could not care less if Williams is a little lazy, or him and Nicho have had some falling out, unless a new striker is going to be signed and I mean soon, then it's time détente to break out, as he's a goalscorer, and right need we need one in the team.
Formerly known as forevertufc
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I wishes I'd stayed home in the warm instead of freezing at Plainmoor watching mainly rubbish; Woking put some nice footballing moves together from time to time. I don't think I've ever contemplated leaving at half time before, but it was obvious it wasn't going to get any better. My colleagues on the Bench are so depressed now, it's awful. I'll go to Maidstone, but if there's no improvement, I might stay home in future.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry Nicho but any chance of staying up is if there's a change of manager. Today's inept performance and lack of tactics was the final straw. Any other club with our potential would have sacked him tonight - if not weeks ago.
Lack of finances or not a decent manager would get more from these players.
Mind you in his post match comments the manager said "we looked good in the warm up"!!!!!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Well it appears Kieffer has gone to Ipswich - http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news ... st-signing. I have been informed he has agreed an 18 month contract with the 'Tractor Boys' . Nicho said in his after match interview that he was lining up a big target man - hope he knows Kieffer is no longer available.

I was going to say something positive about our team but if taxi-lady is thinking of becoming an exile then we are in a serious dilemma (GI please take note - you still have the chance to pull out and cut your loses). I know there is a petition against GI but I may counter this with a petition for GI warning them of the perils of purchasing TU and the misery and manic depression it can inflict upon its followers.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Frankly if anyone from GI reads this enough is enough. Change the manager before it's too late.