Torquay v Boreham Wood 07/01/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burrito Bandito
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Burrito Bandito »

Despite what the commentary said, we did not deserve a thing from the match. We were terrible. Could have played for a week and not scored. We insist on humping the ball forward and expect Reid or Chaney to win the ball in the air against centre backs who have almost a foot against them.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Burrito Bandito wrote:Despite what the commentary said, we did not deserve a thing from the match. We were terrible. Could have played for a week and not scored. We insist on humping the ball forward and expect Reid or Chaney to win the ball in the air against centre backs who have almost a foot against them.
Totally agree. Nicholson said in his after game comments that " they did not look good in training on Wednesday" !! So why di he not have them back on Thursday and Friday to try to sort that out?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry we were lacklustre and didn't deserve anything. Why?
Why did Harrad not start? Is Reid a striker? Why is Williams always left on the naughty step?
If, according to the manager the players didn't follow the game plan, who is responsible?
Could a proper right back be signed?
Questions, questions. No doubt there will be some who will "offer' their answers.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Williams needs to be given a run of games now. For someone who is a top earner, he can't sit on the bench any longer.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Oh dear, such a frustrating performance. Only my first match since November, the 75-mile drive from Bude was totally wasted apart from meeting my mate Kev in the Popside. The match was so poor we had plenty of time to talk about prog music (the stunning Steven Wilson remix of Jethro Tull's classic 1969 album 'Stand Up' was a major topic of conversation), my daughter's recent wedding and our families' forthcoming holiday plans! The Boring Wood goal was just so inevitable, one shot on goal and it goes in. Celebrated by their 5 fans - how does a club like BH manage to sustain a 5th tier club anyway, with so few supporters. The Gulls should have made mincemeat of them, the team that is, not the fans! How do the BH players stay so motivated playing in front of 300 people each week? Do I bother to make the effort to see the Woking match next week? Answers on a postcard please.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Just by way of following-up my own posting, I notice that Keiffer Moore was not in FGR's line-up for their 5-1 away thrashing of Bromley today. Should we read anything into this, or is he just injured?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A predictable rubbish result against an equally rubbish team. That means the two FGR results were all for nowt really. Harrad probably didn't start because he won't last ninety minutes. Williams is a waste of time.

What this result shows is that we are still clearly relegation fodder and could quite easily go down unless funds are found to strengthen. Blissett is a massive loss despite what anyone else says.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

budegull1954 wrote:Just by way of following-up my own posting, I notice that Keiffer Moore was not in FGR's line-up for their 5-1 away thrashing of Bromley today. Should we read anything into this, or is he just injured?

He's definitely out through injury but he won't be coming back here unless GI substantially increase the budget as we were only paying a small proportion of his wages while he was on loan to us.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

From a brilliant Boxing Day game to a depressingly poor game today, right down to the excellent referee on Boxing Day to the goddam awful ref today. I just wish Nico had been more adventurous by going for broke as Mark Cooper was when FGR were losing on Boxing Day. I'd liked to have seen Chaney and Reid left on and Richards & Gerring taken off and really gone at the Boring Wood defence with Chaney & Harrad playing behind Sparkes, Reid, Williams and Fitzpatrick. Although Reid was hobbling a bit so maybe that was why he was taken off.

Boreham had very little in attack - nothing that McGinty couldn't have taken care of on his own (excluding his error for their goal - but that all started from Verma, who otherwise had a solid game, mis-placing a pass). And another thing - why can't we vary our corner routine sometimes? Every corner was humped into the middle where either their big centre half or their 'keeper (very confident taking crosses) dealt easily with them. Why not a pass to somoene on the edge of the area for a change? Oh, I forgot. There's nobody on the edge of the area - they're all in a rugby scrum in the six yard box.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Flat performance from Torquay, and an equally flat atmosphere from the fans. The kindest thing the referee could have done at half time was to call this game void, because whilst our teams performance was deserving of 0 points, I didn't think Boreham Wood were any better, and neither did they deserve a single point from this game.

This not only ranked as one the worst Torquay performances I'd ever seen, but thanks to The Woods one and only, well lets spoil the game at every point and turn (which worked for them in the end) and a Torquay team unable to force the issue, It ranked as one of the most appalling games of football I'd ever seen also.

The bright moments were few are far between, but on the rare occasions our team did attack The Woods penalty area, they were met with something, both TUFC and FGR lacked over the Christmas fixtures, a goalkeeper who clearly knew what he was doing.

Not making excuses here, but maybe the teams efforts up at the New Lawn on New Years day took more out of the side mentally than us fans could know, yesterday more than half our team didn't get out of neutral, of late as a team they've reacted very well to falling behind, even after conceding yesterday there was no reaction or urgency we've seen of late.

To at least try and end this on a positive, I can't let this go with out giving LRT credit where it's due, look, in terms of his ability as a player, he is, what he is, but you can't questions his attitude, or desire to perform well and win. Compare LRT's individual performances at the start of the season when quite frankly would have given him his P45, to the individual performances we're now seeing consistently from this lad, he looks mentally and physically stronger and quicker, LRT my motm for yesterday, and one the very few players who could walk away with his head held high.

There's one or two players with in this squad who could with following the example set now by LRT.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Agreed, LRT has improved massively; just one aspect is his heading, he is attacking the ball properly, rather than just let it hit his head as previously, won a number of powerful headers.
TUST number 080
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Before the Kick Off yesterday I looked at the physical stature of the Boreham Wood team and thought Reid and Chaney will really struggle against this lot.
So it proved. In the modern game which is built on defending, more and more teams at this level, play guys who are 6 foot plus, strong, and very physical.
We are so lightweight now Bliss has gone. We need to get in a tall, athletic striker who is a good header of the ball especially now we have 2 good wingers assuming we can get Fitzpatricks loan extended.
If we do nothing to replace Bliss we are going to struggle big time.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

If Boreham Wood were dire what were we?
Just as bad and we deserved nothing from the game.
We are going to struggle to score goals with what we've got at the moment and that will see us dragged backed towards the bottom four.
Get rid of Williams and free the money for someone else.
He wouldn't score if he played every game between now and the end of the season.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am not so sure. Williams is the type of player who could go on a run if he gets his confidence back and agrees with Nicho to let him play as an out and out striker with few defensive duties.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

How many defensive duties did Reid contribute? I'm for giving the Harrad/Williams combination a try, unless a new striker is signed between now and next Saturday.