Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers National League Mon 26 Dec 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I haven't been to Plainmoor for a while and wasn't going today, until 1230 I decided to drive down rather than go to Bristol rugby. Don't know why, but what a great decision. [br][br]Unbelievable game, some good football, FGR looked like probably the better footballing team, but we had as many chances, although poor finishing meant at half time I thought we were unlikely to get anything. 2 good chances before the first goal for Blissett had me certain we'd lose, and then all hell let loose.[br][br]I was impressed with the crowd, I really believe that a crowd can help win a game, and the crowd seemed to really get to Pinnock, Noble and Bennett. Kieffer is a Yellow, after he missed a great chance, was very funny.[br][br]We looked great going forward at times and solid at the back for 90 of the 96 minutes. Richards and Rowe-Turner have very poor distribution at times, and on another day could have gotten us in trouble a few times, but both did a good job defending/tackling and got better as the game went on.[br][br]Having seen that game, I'd be disappointed if Blissett goes, a real handful, should have had 3 or 4 but excellent none the same. Would I swap him for Moore? Not on today's performance, however I wasn't there for Moore's 5 goals and imagine overall Moore is the better player.[br][br]Great day out, if New Years Day is as good I'll be tempted to make the 2 hour drive more often.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Great game today, FGR seemed to have developed a group of fans that make a bit of noise, something they've lacked for a while!

To show the disire to win that game after being pegged back from 3-0 to 3-3 is incredible,

Great 2nd half from Fitzpatrick and Sparkes, good balls in and started running at the defence,

The sub of Reid for Chaney changed it for me we had so much more attacking threat.

Rooney looked good when he came on, his height helped us he should be okay to fill in at RB if GG is out for a few games

Ref - wasnt too bad, massive cock-up in the 2nd half with a crazy offside decision with the free kick taken in our half but luckily it didnt cost us!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:Great game today, FGR seemed to have developed a group of fans that make a bit of noise, something they've lacked for a while!

To show the disire to win that game after being pegged back from 3-0 to 3-3 is incredible,

Great 2nd half from Fitzpatrick and Sparkes, good balls in and started running at the defence,

The sub of Reid for Chaney changed it for me we had so much more attacking threat.

Rooney looked good when he came on, his height helped us he should be okay to fill in at RB if GG is out for a few games

Ref - wasnt too bad, massive cock-up in the 2nd half with a crazy offside decision with the free kick taken in our half but luckily it didnt cost us!
I didn't realise I was ever in.

having said that. I was so looking forward to this match. haven't been able to come down for a while and it was good to see Matt even if he does seem to be doing an impression of Santa crossed with Osama bin emptied. We had a larf.
The Game was one of the best I've seen anywhere for many years. I actually though Chaney had a good game but it was obvious that a change of tactics with Reid. brought on to have a go in a different way made things really happen. at 3-0 i had to pinch myself to realise it was not make believe. and then we let it slip a little. ooh boy did my blood pressure bounce around for 20 minutes. but what a comeback. by both teams. credit to FGR for making it a really entertaining match. hard fought but in no way dirty. if ever there was a match to show the National league in a good light. This was it. Well done kevin and the lads.
one comment which made me laugh. kevin had just arrived in the lounge/bar and the sponsor said what a horrid match. kev was shocked and replied . what on earth do you want..we were laughing. we knew what was meant. and he replied back. my nerves are in tatters. yep so were mine but boy it was worth it. and the fans really made the place rock today., just a shame i had to follow the FGR bus back and be driven by an FGR fan. gee was that ever a downer lol. i really felt sorry for him. ooh for at least 0.0125 seconds
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:Great game today, FGR seemed to have developed a group of fans that make a bit of noise, something they've lacked for a while!

Regarding the ref decision, the rules were changed this year that the resulting free kick is taken from where the player committed the offence, therefore it was the correct decision to take the free kick in our half
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Isn't it still the case that a player cannot be offside in his own half of the pitch? And surely the offence is committed by the player who is offside, not the player who kicked the ball. Some rule changes only seem to make matters worse.. :(
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

After our third goal the team did a sort of dance celebration. Anyone know what it was ?
Bristolgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sir Rodney

Post by Bristolgull »

goodluckgull wrote:After our third goal the team did a sort of dance celebration. Anyone know what it was ?
Yes, it was a mistake. They thought the game was won and almost had an almighty shock. Oh well, ended ok in the end - great game!
Goody2514
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Goody2514 »

Cracking game yesterday, the new owners(If they were there??? I don't know) couldn't of asked for a better game to encourage some of the boxing day fans to come to Plainmoor more often. Got to keep the atmosphere rocking, the boys and Nicho appreciate it and I think it helps them keep the tempo higher, when they slow it down and have time to think they generally make the wrong pass or decision. Brilliant game tho, my 6 year old boy had lost his voice by the time we got home, he loved it!! Yellow Army!!!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

gateman49 wrote:Our attendance in the corresponding fixture last year was 2,051 so today's turnout was very much a positive in view of the recent goings on.

Forest Green seemed to have brought their whole fan base as well - did Mr Eco-warrior bus them all down the M5? They were a bit premature when they started chanting "3 - 0 and you f...... it up"!
We should have chanted back 3-3 and you F###e# it up !!

:lol: :lol:
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

We did chant "3-3 and you f*****d it up" !!!!! Haha!!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well done ....just didn't hear it in Bristows Bench !!!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Yes, the noise was fantastic, couldn't hear the fourth goal scorer's name over the tannoy.
TUST number 080
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I can't add any more to what has been said already other than to say a great game and who would have bet on that scoreline at half time. On a personal note, the disabled section roof was christened and I was very pleased to see the area was full. skybluegull donated an amazing £500 towards the cost, what a wonderful thing to do. He was there with his father-in-law who is wheelchair bound having suffered a severe stroke. There will be further updates on the disabled facilities. Please remember the structure is portable in the event of a ground move, if that ever occurs. A cow pat challenge will take place soon with a view to paying off fully the cost of the home section. Thank you to all the people who have donated.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Hello all,
Nothing spectacular to report, only that I chatted to Nicho today in the gym, nice guy, and as well as being a professional, he is a genuine tufc supporter as well. You could see the highs and lows in his face as he recounted how he felt when they pulled it back to 3-3.
Chatted a little about how pleased he was to see the numbers that turned up, and how the players are young and need the experience of playing to be able to get themselves in the right positions/the right passes at the right time. You just can't replicate that in training.
All in all I was grateful he stopped to chat, and he comes across as a passionate football man, no hidden sides to him.
I did ask about signing players/a certain recent player.............just the slightest of chances, but a chance nonetheless.