Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers National League Mon 26 Dec 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote:Isn't it still the case that a player cannot be offside in his own half of the pitch? And surely the offence is committed by the player who is offside, not the player who kicked the ball. Some rule changes only seem to make matters worse.. :(
He was in their half when the ball was played but didn't become offside until he chased back towards the ball, the free-kick was correctly taken from the point at which he became offside. As mentioned above the rule was changed in the summer.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

gullscorer
sn't it still the case that a player cannot be offside in his own half of the pitch? And surely the offence is committed by the player who is offside, not the player who kicked the ball. Some rule changes only seem to make matters worse.. :(

It's not as if we didn't have enough to talk about yesterday, but the positioning of the free kick (7 or 8 yards inside our half) for the offside offence given against Nathan Blissett, certainly prompted some discussion within my section of Bristow's Bench. Had Nathan followed a ball back caught in a swirling wind, and touched it in the penalty area, would we have had a penalty awarded against us due to his offside positioning 20 seconds earlier we wondered ? :~D

Here's a reminder of FIFA's wording, as well as the new rules, that tell us to get used to seeing free kicks for offside awarded in either half of the field, depending on where the 'offence' is committed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... le-changes
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

And that's why the FA are a bunch of incompetent idiots. What a ridiculous rule to have let alone parade.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

for those who weren't there -

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dazza wrote:And that's why the FA are a bunch of incompetent idiots. What a ridiculous rule to have let alone parade.
It was introduced during the Euros this summer so nothing to do with the FA.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I've just watched the YouTube five minute excerpt of the match. Not having seen United in action for a couple of years I must say I was impressed by the standard of the football. I can't see what all the fuss (the dismal kind) has been about.
Also, very pleasing indeed at the end to see GILBERT in action; I have missed him and his antics, especially when he self-destructs in a blaze of smoke and orange gaiters.
As well as United winning, Whitby Town beat Blyth Spartans 2-1 in front of a 614 crowd; we are now 2nd in the Northern Premier League, and it seems the possibility (and it's only that) of promotion to the Conference North is there. So you see, Whitby Town and Torquay United aren't all that far apart, though on the YouTube evidence I think United would win a competitive game.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

As we visited my Daughter in Hampshire for Christmas I missed the Boxing Day thriller with FGR only the second Home match I have missed all season.

I just reactivated my Gulls Player membership to see the highlights. What a game.

I watched Final Score on BBC with the Family and to see TORQUAY UNITED pop up 7 times in 26 minutes was unbelieveable!!

COYY
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

What a great result it's a shame Nicho has not played Chaney in the hole before I've been posting it all season and Nicho gave himself a Christmas present by playing him there it meant we had two players that can hold the ball in a forward position with the added chance of Chaney finding an opening.
The change after half time set us up a little better second half but the 4-4-1-1 gave us the base to build.
Nicho needs to start the same way the next game and not get carried away with Mondays result as they are few and far between. Chaney should have been played there earlier in the season and we would have had Blissett in the box more. :keepie:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote:What a great result it's a shame Nicho has not played Chaney in the hole before I've been posting it all season and Nicho gave himself a Christmas present by playing him there it meant we had two players that can hold the ball in a forward position with the added chance of Chaney finding an opening.
The change after half time set us up a little better second half but the 4-4-1-1 gave us the base to build.
Nicho needs to start the same way the next game and not get carried away with Mondays result as they are few and far between. Chaney should have been played there earlier in the season and we would have had Blissett in the box more. :keepie:
As soon as I saw how they were lining up I said to my brother "Arcadia will be happy, he's been banging the drum for Chaney to play there for months." :)