FA Trophy First Round, Braintree Town v Torquay United, Sat. 10 December 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You can't really argue that Dutchgull has made some valid points. Nicholson has made some bloody awful signings. Lathrope has been a disaster. Everyone (apart from our manager) knew he was crocked. Its nonsense to suggest that's all we could afford. If he was crocked don't sign him. Fairly simple really.

Brett Williams - another complete waste of money. Whether he is any good or not I don't know, but Nicholson has got the sum total of bugger all out of him.

The FA Trophy is meaningless but with K Moore gone and Luke Young crocked we are as good as relegation fodder again.

Like Dutchgull I've supported the club for donkeys years but I don't even bother listening for the result, let alone listening to the commentary. or going to matches anymore. What is the bloody point?

Losing to a part time team who could muster 301 supporters and we didn't even warrant a mention on the BBC local news tonight. Depressing.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Dutchgull wrote:Great escape ??...yeah right...

We are a massive 5 points off the relegation places and we have lost to Woking Southport Guisely and North Ferriby all below us. Do you see us winning at York next week. I hope so but.....I am not going to hold my breath.

FFS Jeff where I have said I EXPECT success ? Jeez if I expect success I would be yet another armchair Manure fan.

I have traveled the length and breath of this country supporting this club. Trips to Workington ...remember them ? Scunthorpe. Darlington etc.All of those glamour trips. I have NEVER expected success and I admit I cried on our first visit to Wembley two years after a real great escape in 1987.
It's because the club means so much to me and has played a huge part in my life is the reason why I am upset as to its present state. But hey ho its all we can expect isn't it ? Follow the messiah.
At least back then we had hope and FUN going to the games ! It is not like that now and by the gates we get and all the faces that I no longer see at Plainmoor many others presumably share a similar view.

Agreed nobody is forcing me to be a supporter but it seems I am now not allowed a view on what am seeing compared to what I have seen.
Makes you embarrassed to be a TUFC supporter if people moan ? Feck I have had to put up with people taking the piss out of me for supporting TUFC from my schooldays to my age now of 56 so don't you dare lay that on me or question my support !!

We all want the same thing and that is success for our club but can you honestly see it ever returning to even the modest level of league two ?
I will keep on going but you have to question the sanity of us all !!

(Jeffs reply post to me has gone ??? !! Oh well hey ho )
Well said :goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry wrote:
Yes he is working under difficult circumstances and personally I think he has done okay but he is far from perfect.
Has anyone said he IS perfect?

If Nicholson had the luxury of the kind of budget that Buckle once had, he would do a lot better with it IMHO.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Dutchgull states that Nicho "thinks fitness is bloody lifting tyres and getting his players to spend all their bloody time in the gym". This is totally wrong. If you are able to go and watch some training sessions at Seale Hayne you would arrive at a better and accurate assessment.

Also Damon spent the months before the season training in America with his uncle's team. He started pre season already very fit and must of passed a medical. Sadly Damon's injury has stopped him playing. The gamble didn't work, which is bad because I thought Damon was having some good performances. It's not the first time Torquay United have taken a gamble on a players fitness.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Southampton Gull
Has anyone said he IS perfect?
Yes, Kieffer Moore did, only a few days ago :)

"The lads took me in and made me like one of their own, and the fans, the manager – they've all been perfect".

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/t ... story.html
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

goodluckgull wrote:Sadly Damon's injury has stopped him playing. The gamble didn't work, which is bad because I thought Damon was having some good performances. It's not the first time Torquay United have taken a gamble on a players fitness.
The club cannot afford to take a gamble. :(
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

It is no consolation but Eastleigh lost 2- 0 at Harlow Town and Dagenham & Redbridge lost at HOME to Worthing.

Next saturday is a game we really need to win away to York who are rock bottom.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I can't quite make up my mind if Nicholson's management is the problem or whether he is hamstrung by the resources he has at his disposal. The likelihood is that it is probably a bit of both. His management of a proven goal scorer at this level, Williams, has been poor, simply because he wants him to run around a lot, and this is a group of players who KN said would be going for the playoffs this season.

I think in years gone by, and with records that were not anywhere near as bad, other managers - managing the club at a higher level, than KN is - have come in for enormous stick.

This season we have lost the following stellar clubs:
North Ferriby United
Guiseley
Braintree Town
Southport
Woking (twice)
Maidstone United
Sutton United

Prior to the #greatescape run, the record was even gloomier. If Nicholson wasn't who he is or if he was managing York, he would have been sacked ages ago.

However, I personally don't know, or even particularly care anymore, whether it would make a difference having anyone else in charge. What is happening on the field really doesn't matter, if the club might not exist in a fortnight. On BPIR there was speculation that this might have been our last ever fixture, so giving a monkeys about who the manager is, hardly seems to matter.

I would say though, that KN seems to get a lot of positive comment, when, if as he says, the buck stops with him, it is not massively deserved. But like many, I stopped being that bothered by the endless embarrassments ages ago. Getting het up over yet another humiliation is not worth the energy anymore.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Gullscorer wrote:The club cannot afford to take a gamble. :(
We have always gambled on our best players, simply because if any of them did not have an issue, they wouldn't have been playing for us ; Saunders, Graham, Fowler to name three.
TUST number 080
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The signing of Moore showed how close we are to being a perfectly good side. Not stellar, but comfortably mid-table.
This is our lowest ebb, yet we are within £650/week for 18 months and a transfer fee (£10k?) of being just fine. Given what Nico is fighting against, that he has got us so close to that is utterly incredible.
With Moore in the side, we'd have been 5-0 up at half time yesterday. That's the difference that a single decent player would make to this side. Decent players cost money.

If anyone knows anyone with any going spare, I'm sure we could be the masters of our own destiny in the near future...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:The signing of Moore showed how close we are to being a perfectly good side. Not stellar, but comfortably mid-table.
This is our lowest ebb, yet we are within £650/week for 18 months and a transfer fee (£10k?) of being just fine. Given what Nico is fighting against, that he has got us so close to that is utterly incredible.
With Moore in the side, we'd have been 5-0 up at half time yesterday. That's the difference that a single decent player would make to this side. Decent players cost money.

If anyone knows anyone with any going spare, I'm sure we could be the masters of our own destiny in the near future...

Matt.
Blissett and Harrop were good together last season our problem all season has been the kind of player alongside Blissett to create chances Harrop was a good ploy for him.
I think Chaney off of Blissett could work as Chaney would be in an area where he won't get kicked we need to get him in the box. Moore is a pipe dream he did brilliant, if theres no money we've got to find a player who compliments Blissett.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A statistic to ponder:
almost fifty-two years ago we played (away) against Tottenham Hotspur in the 3rd round (replay) of the F.A. Cup. The attendance was 55,081. Yesterday we played away against Braintree Town in the 1st round of the F.A. Trophy. The attendance was 301.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

To be accurate the 52nd anniversary will be on January 18 2017. 9th January 1965 FA Cup Third Round Torquay 3 Spurs 3; 18th January in the replay Spurs 5 Torquay 1. I was at both, the first two Torquay matches I ever watched!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote:To be accurate the 52nd anniversary will be on January 18 2017. 9th January 1965 FA Cup Third Round Torquay 3 Spurs 3; 18th January in the replay Spurs 5 Torquay 1. I was at both, the first two Torquay matches I ever watched!
Showing your age there mate. Fair play to you
Lucy
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

ferrarilover wrote:The signing of Moore showed how close we are to being a perfectly good side. Not stellar, but comfortably mid-table.

Matt.
If you're insinuating that 650 a week is what it'd take for us to sign K.Moore, I know a close friend of his who tells me he's on 1200 a week at FGR, and he can't even get in their squad! Shows the gulf in budgets!