Torquay v Solihull 22/11/16

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Much needed win but a draw against Tranmere would be a success on Saturday.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Well, that is two team efforts in a row so perhaps Guiseley was a watershed.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Good team performance with Moore and, to a lesser extent, Young outstanding. An excellent Moore hat-trick, all different goals. The first a clever run and good finish, bent around the advancing keeper. The second was all about strength, size and determination to win the ball against their keeper and a defender, looping the ball into the empty net. The third an excellent diving header off a good cross; couldn't tell from which player.

Wivel's unlikely prediction of 5 goals should have come true but unfortunately the other chances didn't fall to Moore; two sitters missed. I was surprised at the 1200 crowd, it seemed bigger. A bit subdued at first but warmed to the task with a growing number of chants.
TUST number 080
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Get in, a much needed win. Moore looked class, he will certainly play at a higher level. He won everything in the air and was a real threat all night. ILets hope he can bag a couple more whilst he is still with us. I hope that Blisset was taking note! A mention for Sparkes though. He delivered some great crosses for Moore to get on the end of.
Lets hope the club is sold this week and we can come up with the money to keep Moore.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Was Lee Thorpe really the last player to score a hat-trick for us in a league match? If so, it was Jan 2007 against Grimsby!

Nice to see that both Hancox and Chamberlain scored on their debuts for Cirencester this evening as well.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Anyway, back to inportant things. A good win tonight. What a difference one player can make to spread confidence throughout the side. The worry is - would we have won if Keiffer Moore hadn't been there? I don't think so because I can't see where else goals are going to come from, except maybe Luke Young. But Danny - if you're reading this, we badly need you there with your drum !
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Very good second half performance for the second match running. Moore was outstanding today, closely followed by Young and Sparkes. Defensively we looked fragile early on and could have been 2-0 down but eventually we came out on top in the midfield battle and this starved their front men of service in the second half. Shame that no regular TU player could score - several missed chances from others in the team still leave room for concern when Moore returns to FGR. Shame also about the poor attendance.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Bloggy wrote:Was Lee Thorpe really the last player to score a hat-trick for us in a league match? If so, it was Jan 2007 against Grimsby!

Nice to see that both Hancox and Chamberlain scored on their debuts for Cirencester this evening as well.
Benyon on 15th December 2009 was the last, so a first for this decade:

www.torquayfanstats.com/hat-tricks for all 85 scored since 1927...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

A most enjoyable night and I would like to point out that although Moore stole the show, Nathaniel Rowe-Turner had quite a good game as well. I am pleased for him and hope it can continue, he has had bit of a rough time.

Incidentally, on the fans stats section above it states that Torquay christened their floodlights in a friendly against Birmingham City winning 3-2 on 22nd November 1954. I am not sure if that is correct. The Torquay A team played Halwell and Moreleigh in a Herald Cup game a few days before to give the lights a test before the big crowd for the Birmingham game took place. Torquay won 9-0.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Interesting stuff Samuel, and thanks for letting me know this. Personally, I was born in 1988 so the vast majority of the historical stats come from the centenary history published in 1999, but if you have an exact date from a decent source I'll be very happy to update anything or add any new historically significant dates to the website.

It is at least true that exactly 62 years ago today we were celebrating the new floodlights against Birmingham, and today we had Solihull under the lights for an important three points.

Moore finished the chances that no-one else did tonight, and also those that went unfinished for the last few weeks. Dan Sparkes also came in for a lot of praise online tonight, and I think having him and Fitzpatrick feeding the 5 strikers we have to pick from will see us pretty well for the coming months.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Gulliball wrote: Benyon on 15th December 2009 was the last, so a first for this decade:

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/hat-tricks for all 85 scored since 1927...
But the first in the league since Thorpe. :)
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

That's more like it! I was hopeful after Saturday's second half performance but it was far better than expected last night. Slow start but they all quickly started to pressure Solihull and never let up. Thankfully their defence was poor but still a super hat-trick from Moore. However the key for me were the great crosses from Sparkes - he really zipped them in to the danger area. Have to compliment LRT as well for a really strong performance as he kept a handy winger under control and on several occasions covered well at the back - probably his best match this season so well done to him. Also Luke Young kept the midfield engine going and fantastic foresight in trying to chip the goalie from half-way.
Can we now use this new format to rattle Tranmere and Daggers? I am sure that until last night they probably thought they were in for certain three points but now they need to think again. Feeling far more confident while Moore is with us and hopefully that has given confidence back to the team.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

A very important and vital win, and we as fans have to hope, last nights win has lifted moral and confidence amongst the team, whilst not wishing to take away from a well deserved 3.0 win, there also has to be some perspective as well, not wishing to disrespect Solihull or their fans, but they offered nothing in the final third, and rarely put our leaky back line under real pressure, so our team must take some confidence away from this game, as they're are much tougher challenges ahead.

Last night showed the importance of Kieffer Moore, been a long time since we've had a forward who could take a chance like Moore did for the first goal, what cool finish, and not for along time have we had a Sills/Rendell type forward who is willing to attack the space in and around the box, that led to his second and third goals, such a relief to have a striker at last who can convert chances to goals.

But now the hard part, Nicho has to be all over this, the club have to keep him, I don't know why FGR have loaned him to us, but there's going to be plenty clubs at our level and the league above alerted to his potential availability, as a club we've now got to everything they can to keep him here, whether it's short term or the rest of the season.

You only have look at the chances the team failed to convert after he went off. All in all credit where it's due, a well deserved win.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

In no way am I racist or homophobic.

Just because I voted BREXIT.

In fact , Black Caribbean, Pauline Black of the Ska Band ,The Selecter , is one of my best friends.

I also have many gay friends , even though I am straight.

By the way , it was a cracking atmosphere at Plainmoor last night.

I love your ground - DON'T make it all plastic seats !!!...
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

CRACKING atmosphere, from BOTH lots of Supporters.

This is how true football should be - it was definitely NOT like a library.