Torquay v Wrexham 19/11 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:The equaliser hides another very, very poor game of football. If we didn't have Moore upfront it would have been our worse performance of the season.
But we did have Moore up front. And the more the players train together and play together the more we will see these new players improve the team and the teams performances improve and the league position rise.

*Oh how I've missed my rose tinted spectacles!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Thought K Moore looked promising, he looked far more of a threat than Blissett. I would like to see Moore/Reid given a go together Tuesday night. Blissett quite frankly has failed to deliver all season.
The back looked as shaky as ever (McGinty apart). The space their forward had for the goal just beggars belief. I don't know what Nico does with them in training but being a defender himself, they should be far more organised. Saying that, it was good to get something after going behind early and there is some competition for places at the moment. Dont want to state the obvious but need a win Tuesday night.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We'd scored one in six. Our problem isn't this or that, our problem is a squad of cheap but talentless players. Any player coming to us on loan had to be free. In this market, you take what you can get. Moore and McDucky are better than what we've got already and their price is right, so they're here.

Something about beggars not being choosers.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

arcadia wrote:We rode our luck a bit today we could have been 3 down at half time but second half was a bit more entertaining.

Why do we sign two forwards when the problems are the back four? We went one down through bad defensive play, no cover.

Powell, 17for Wrexham had a field day first half where he broke from deep positions this is what Chaney could do for us if he was in the middle. Nicho should have told Ward to stay with Powell as he was a constant threat.Young was nearer to him second half. Sparkes looked sharp but Richards had one of those games again.
Moore and Blissett did ok together all they needed was a goal and were a little unlucky.Chaney looked bright when he came on as well.
Two more loan players and we'd have a side. LB & CH.
To score an equalising goal and earn us a point. Yes we need to sort something out defensively but although we had a number of attacking players we weren't scoring enough goals.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

On chances, the number of times each side struck the woodwork and general play, a point a piece was a fair reflection on the game, we know how limited our side is, but was shocked at just how poor Wrexham were overall.

Part of me wants to level criticism, part of me thinks is that a bit harsh, our team started the game with a little more belief than I've seen for a while, but once again they fell behind to a poor, poor goal, then as a team seem to revert to type, around the 80 minute mark the group I stand with, we all agreed the game was just boring.

Plenty of huff and puff from the Gulls trying to get back into the game, with little quality, and thankfully Wrexham some what played into our hands in the later part of the game, by dropping deep with two rigid banks of four, and defending by hoofing the ball out here, there and everywhere.

There's definitely a mentality problem with in this team, it was clear after the equaliser, all of a sudden our team were 2 yards quicker, and played with urgency, and positivity, and why, why do we have wait for a goal to see our team play like that.

Of course when team is on a bad run, belief can ebb away, but our team seem a little bit to quick to just accept things, rather than acting to try and drag themselves out of this run, by making that extra challenge, running that extra yard, or just having a shot.

In summary, the performance today, not at the level needed, and thank gord for Kieffer Moore made a big difference going forward, I would make him the focal point of our attacking play, like to see Reid working off him, Moore's ariel presence and Reid's mobility, they could work well together
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Today's performance was an improvement which is encouraging. They played football and entertained. Ok, they made a few mistakes but hopefully a corner has been turned. Moore looked good, he can make a difference and will score goals - something Blissett has not done.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Andy Murray never got to be the world's number one tennis player by letting nerves and self-doubt get the better of him. Application, hard work, determination, self-belief and perseverance are what's needed.

It seems only in professional football is lack of success rewarded. The trouble is, most young men these days seem to have been raised by their mothers to be cowardly emasculated wimps, and so they give up far too easily - that's assuming they had any motivation in the first place.

Kick 'em a bit harder up the backside, and make them realise that, in the world of work, results are required, and can only be achieved by putting in an effort and not giving up. Oh, and test them all for intelligence, quick-wittedness, and spacial awareness; and in addition to training, give them a bit of a proper education.

I am not, of course, referring to our own football team, a fine upstanding body of men yet to fulfil their potential, but who have turned the corner and will go on to improve over the rest of the season to such an extent that they will challenge for the play-offs next April..
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

PhilGull wrote: But we did have Moore up front. And the more the players train together and play together the more we will see these new players improve the team and the teams performances improve and the league position rise.

*Oh how I've missed my rose tinted spectacles!
Nicholson brought Moore on loan to improve the squad, and that's exactly what's happened. So Danny is correct without him we may have lost, but the future looks better with these new signings, just like last season. At least we are 2 months ahead this season, before we threw the dice. A win against Solihull is massive. But you can't paint over the cracks of losing to southport and guiesley.
Lucy
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Gullscorer wrote:
Kick 'em a bit harder up the backside, and make them realise that, in the world of work, results are required, and can only be achieved by putting in an effort and not giving up. Oh, and test them all for intelligence, quick-wittedness, and spacial awareness; and in addition to training, give them a bit of a proper education.
And teach them to use their peripheral vision - it would help hugely with their positioning and anticipation.
TUST member 200 ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I don't know if Brendon Moore read this forum but he's got the softer gloves now and they are white and is playing well with confidence. I hope that he keeps on improving!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Anyone else notice that there were suddenly a few Summerbay Hotel signs about Plainmoor? They might have also been matchday sponsors. Were these not the Chinese inv3stors that were having a look a couple of weeks ago?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brooker wrote:Anyone else notice that there were suddenly a few Summerbay Hotel signs about Plainmoor? They might have also been matchday sponsors. Were these not the Chinese inv3stors that were having a look a couple of weeks ago?
Heard that they are good people.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I thought we were generally better than most have posted on this thread so far. I counted 13 attempts but only 3 on target which still indicates where we remain light. Having said that, Kiefer Moore played very well and we looked far more likely than Blissett to score - as indeed he did. I would agree that a front two of Moore and Reid looks the best combo but midfield still looks dysfunctional with Richards a shadow of the player he was in his first season and the defence likely to ship goals - where were the central defenders for their goal?

Need to get a win on Tuesday night if we are not to get sucked down into the relegation zone - we have some much tougher games to negotiate in December and could still end up in the bottom four for the start of the New Year.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I too felt we were a better side yesterday. First time in months i have seen us put genuine pressure on any side . Wrexham were i thought a better side than ones we have lost to recently.

For me the second half when Moor and Blissett got in the ascendany for a brief spell just through sheer sttength was i would like to think a pointer for the future.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Rabona anyone!!??