Torquay v Southport Saturday 29th October 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The 'manager' is out of his depth. Any other properly run club in our position would have told him tonight that enough is enough. Nico's reasoning for our loss? Down to fear! Also the players didn't follow the game plan. Well who's to blame for that?
The omens were against us when I saw the TUFC board opposite the traffic lights at the end of the new by-pass - next home game? To Aldershot!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As said, we all know and except the financial position of our club is dire, we know our players are limited, however, lets look at Southport's league record, especially their goal difference, and then ask how limited are Southport's players ? how limited is Southport's resources ? how much money do they have as club ?

Yet today, Southport defended better than us, they were far better with the football, in the end, their finishing was better also. I can fully except my team losing to anyone, but their is minimum standard of performance both collectively as team and as individual players, there's a minimum expectation also, and to be fair my expectation for this season wasn't that high.

When you've seen a number of performances of late that have not got even close to any minimum level of performance or expectation , you have start asking questions, someone posted above about there perhaps being something wrong behind the scenes, this is view that I share also, you only had to look at the body language of some those players before and during the game to see something is not right at camp TUFC.

Case in point, and the few occasions we did get the ball on the edge of Southport's area, not one single Torquay forward was even trying, let alone busting a gut to get in the middle of the area, then look at the speed which Southport counter attacked for their second goal 10 times faster than us, their players were alert to the chance and made us pay, we didn't do that all game.

And in the 85th minute, we get a free kick in, as good a position as you'll get, and the one player we've got who could have scored, didn't take it. As for the fracas at the end, no excuse for that, how does it help the players, who are already down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Absolutely dire! I thought before the game that this could be a pivotal match that shapes our season and our worst nightmares were realised this afternoon. Take away sponsors MOTM Williams quality goal in the first half and what you were left with was a performance as dreadful as anything I've seen over the years at Plainmoor. We were ponderous throughout without pace, shape, energy, totally predictable, mistake ridden and it was a case if a poor Southport side could capitalise on our incompetence. They did and deserved to. Once their second goal went in you knew the game was up for Torquay.

Crowd a dismal 1,400+, with around 50 from Southport. The fans are dwindling away and changes have to be made. When I was driving away from the match I felt pity seeing those Torquay fans making their way home, including young families with children with Torquay scarves and tops. So many fans make such an effort for the club and all we are getting back is a shambles to endure week after week. We are meant to be a full time professional football club but the standard on show is so embarrassingly poor - misplaced passes, poor control, poor shooting etc. Nicholson might be a nice bloke and passionate about our club but he is way out of his depth this season. His signings, tactics, the players bizarre lack of fitness in the second half etc. Of course it is not just Nicholson's fault. Like Nicholson, our board might be passionate but they have not got the required expertise to run the club. Christ knows, what's in store for the club in the next few weeks. Who will be running the club, how will they pay the bills? The club is in an awful state everywhere from top to bottom.

Torquay started off poorly and until Williams goal on 25 minutes it was the poorest I've seen this season. Williams goal however was sheer quality and was the best goal I've seen this season and right up there with the best Torquay goals in recent seasons. Williams jinked past a couple of defenders with tight control of the ball and as another defender was about to close him down around 25 yards out, Williams let fly with a swerving low powerful shot out of the keepers reach into the corner of the net. This did wake up Torquay a bit but there was little sustained pressure and the rest of the half was an even affair. Southport created the clearer chances but Moore looked assured in goal with his shot stopping and handling. As usual Torquay did not did not seriously threaten and there never seems to be an attacker in the right place at the right time to anticipate a goal scoring opportunity. There is no coordination between the players.

The second half went the same way as all our other second half performances this season and it's now beyond a joke. Southport built up some good pressure and it was rare Torquay got out of their own half. Nicholson's predictable substitution around 60 minutes for Chaney replacing Ward actually made things worse and it was only a case if Southport had enough ability to punish Torquay. Their first goal you felt was coming and was a delicate chip over the stranded Moore. Moore stood and watched the ball go over him. Surely he stood at least have tried to back pedal and make some attempt? Southport's winner came down our right where right back Gallifuoco was beaten easily in our box. A hard, low shot beat Moore at his near post. Moore got a hand to it but was not firm enough. Moore possibly could have done better with both goals, but like last week against Aldershot, we can't expect him to bail us out every week. Our whole outfield players, with one or two exceptions like Young, were dreadful.

Talking of Young near the end Torquay had a free kick just outside the penalty box in a dangerous position with Young and Richards over the ball. Perfect Young territory you felt and a chance to get an equaliser? Guess what happened, Richards took the free-kick and shot weakly into the wall. What a waste! Young's deliveries from corners all game had been our main danger all game. In contrast Richards goal attempts all match were an embarrassment. Who makes these decisions? In desperation Torquay, in added time, mustered up a couple of goal attempts with their keeper tipping over a Reid effort. All too little, too late and Southport deserved their win.

As far as I'm concerned enough is enough and changes have to be made. Yet again we are relegation material and it is a matter of time before we are in the bottom four, just like last season. I don't know what changes are in store about the ownership of the club and when we may find out but things just cannot continue as they are. Like the Stranglers song, something better change.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

So I sat in an hours worth of traffic on top of my 45 mins drive to Torquay to watch that. I expected a poor performance but that topped my expectations. I can think of so much more I'd rather do with my young family than watch this drivel week on week with no sign of a get well plan. The numbers at the gates are reducing significantly!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Why do I think he is a good manager?

Look at what he did last season.

Hear me out before you all jump on me and say last season was last season....

He performed nothing short of a miracle last season and got us out of a rather large hole.
He then lost key players from that team and had to replace them with next to nothing. Little money in the transfer kitty, little money to spend on wages and a big, ambitious plan that needs time to come to fruitition.

Nico is hampered by the off field situation in a major way and I wouldn't blame him if he jumped ship. I don't think he will and that will, in the long run, be a major benefit to us.

Give him the time he needs to get the plan together that he has for this club - and let's hope he gets the backing he needs from the people that gave him this opportunity in the first place, before we lose him and see what might have been when he does it elsewhere instead.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote::goodpost:
Were you actually there today?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: let's hope he gets the backing he needs from the people that gave him this opportunity in the first place, before we lose him and see what might have been when he does it elsewhere instead.
Do you really believe that Scott?

Do you really believe he will go onto achieve great things in management elsewhere if it doesn't work out at Plainmoor?

I don't see it.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Last season GI's 'loan' paid for, amongst others, Blissett, Harrad, Racchi & Ajala. Some, or all of them, paved the way for the 'great escape'. The 'manager' was not alone in helping us escape relegation.
This season his inability is being shown up for what it is.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

nickbrod wrote:Last season GI's 'loan' paid for, amongst others, Blissett, Harrad, Racchi & Ajala. Some, or all of them, paved the way for the 'great escape'. The 'manager' was not alone in helping us escape relegation.
This season his inability is being shown up for what it is.
Think you're getting confused there!

The GI loan enabled us to sign players this summer no?

Nicho shook the squad up last January by kicking a lot of dross out

People complain about no width we have 1 winger who didn't even play
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Sparkes hopes to be back for the next game.
https://x.com/J_GRANT1109/status/792451843385425920
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was a truly shocking performance. Brett Williams scored the goal of our season on 26 minutes. However Brett has to be one of the strangest pro footballers I have ever seen. Remember his goal against WBA in the PSF? Another today BUT and it is a big BUT he has ability and a career of scoring goals but cannot contribute to the team performance. It is like he is deliberately playing badly. I just dont get it.
In the second half with no one within 5 yards of him he smashed the ball into the Family stand and conceded a corner. Why?
Nicho has to beg borrow and steal 3 or 4 players because at present we cannot compete even with Southport who will improve with Steve Burr as their new Manager.
Sam Chaney is not able to play at this level. His confidence has completely gone. He hardly got a kick when he came on.
We are in very serious trouble and Nicho will not repeat last seasons escape with these players. Sorry to say this but it is true.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

If Nico has 'a big ambitious plan' can you please tell him what it is.
The Fans Forum on Wednesday will be the farce they usually are.
We will be in Administration by Christmas.
Only Luke deserved to draw his wages and as for LRT he isn't s***, he's just not very good.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Let's be honest the club is in disarray and at the moment the only way it's going is down and out. We can bicker amongst ourselves for ever and a day but nothing's going to change until as and when somebody else takes on the running of the club and separately the managing of the team.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

nickbrod wrote:Let's be honest the club is in disarray and at the moment the only way it's going is down and out. We can bicker amongst ourselves for ever and a day but nothing's going to change until as and when somebody else takes on the running of the club and separately the managing of the team.
Maybe the board should be receiving a bit more flak then?