Torquay v Southport Saturday 29th October 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well said, Rich.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Fans forum will be interesting!!! I so hope Nicho doesn't bare the brunt of it, it'll be undeserved..,
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Another 2nd half collapse!

How many times this season have we lost from winning positions?

Fans forum will be very interesting, as above Nicho does not deserve the brunt of it,

never seen a TUFC manager do more to get the football club in the community!

I wonder if the bookie still wants a detached house for the club?
Better ask him how much he owes GI!
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Did someone on the Pop side tell LRT that he is useless?
markypoos77
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by markypoos77 »

Willowgull wrote:Did someone on the Pop side tell LRT that he is useless?
Useless is putting it politely. Surely he knows himself he utterly ****
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

markypoos77 wrote: Useless is putting it politely. Surely he knows himself he utterly ****
Not helping anyone to tell him though.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Richinns wrote:It is without doubt that any other person than Nicholson would have f*ucked off long ago. We are all angry and disillusioned as the club becomes increasingly farcical week on week but ask yourself where we would be without him?

I really hope something good comes this week and this brings some stability. I very much doubt it and the circling of the drain with impending disaster will become reality instead - but all we can do is hope.

Nicho is going to cop it over the next few days but not from me. How can he be judged when the circumstances and support he is receiving to allow him to do the job is utterly laughable?

The performances we are witnessing reflect this rather than his performance of a manager.
:goodpost: Rich

The sooner we get the off field shenanigans sorted the better. Having said that, I fear it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I fully except, and always have that Nicho is working under the most difficult circumstances any TUFC manager has for a good number of years, I fully except that Nicho works his nuts of for the club and does jobs many other managers would not touch, I fully except the club is in a very difficult position right now.

However, NONE of what I've written above can be put forward, or excepted as an excuse for that performance, not lack money, not off the field problems, nothing.

No pride, no passion, no width, players that look like they don't want to be here, and why ? I wonder. Tactics to today seemed to be, play narrow, and hoof it all down the middle, and when hoofing it down the middle wasn't working, lets go to plan B , hoof it straight down the middle some more, dire, in-excusable.

Southport were the better team with the ball, their approach play pretty neat, and were unlucky to be behind, however, you could see why they're struggling also, this game should have been won, and needed to be.

Not going to level criticism at Gerring or McGinty, both defended well through out, thought Richards had one of best games in a while, played a lot good passes and balls in to the box, Luke Young bags of effort, and Reid as normal, but you just can't play with five players.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got in from the game.

Pathetic second half after a worldie strike by Williams have us a barely deserved half time lead. It is not funny now - this tendency to think 45 minutes of effort and desire is sufficient. It is so predictable that we will be dross after the break. Only two attempts on goal the whole second half!!!! The boos at the final whistle said it all - as did the fracas on the Popside with LRT.

We actually got taken apart by Southport whenever they decided to get the ball down and play football. Our response was to start hoofing the ball up to the truly awful Blissett who will never make a target man - he couldn't control a ball to save his life. Our only chance of getting something out of the game was to match them and play to feet but our front three were given rubbish service for most of the game.

Only three players looked anything like deserving of a place in the starting line up for the next game - Young, Gerring and Reid. Even their performances were flawed though.

It looks to me like the manager is running out of options. There is something not quite right in the background - I even heard one person at the end say that everything will be OK because GI are taking over on Monday! If true then gawd help us - relegation is beckoning.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Almost certainly not the most popular post on here tonight but exactly how much longer should the good will towards Nico last? After all, he coaches them during the week, he picks the tactics, he picks the team, he delivers the motivational speech before a game and again at half time.

We had an uplift on results towards the end of last season but was that simply down to the bounce effect caused by a new man in charge?

Are we saying that no other manager, if put in charge, could better 18th in the league table at this stage of the season?

I know he's regarded as a "legend" but that word is very loosely bandied around these days.

As for people telling LRT that he's s***, why not? I think anybody who still makes the effort to watch the dross being served up these days is entitled to vent a little anger. No doubt the happy clappers will continue to go because they have nothing else in their lives but how long before 1490 becomes 1250 then 1000?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: I'm not disputing that - I actually think Nico is an excellent manager. He's just hampered by the financial situation currently, and the fact that the team seem to only last about 45 minutes.

I'm hacked off by that, but then I'm also grumpy because I'm tired (getting up early to watch the cricket), so I'm probably not in the best frame of mind to be on here....I'll only end up ranting.
Why do you think Nicholson is an excellent manager?
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Burnhamgull wrote:Almost certainly not the most popular post on here tonight but exactly how much longer should the good will towards Nico last? After all, he coaches them during the week, he picks the tactics, he picks the team, he delivers the motivational speech before a game and again at half time.

We had an uplift on results towards the end of last season but was that simply down to the bounce effect caused by a new man in charge?

Are we saying that no other manager, if put in charge, could better 18th in the league table at this stage of the season?

I know he's regarded as a "legend" but that word is very loosely bandied around these days.

As for people telling LRT that he's s***, why not? I think anybody who still makes the effort to watch the dross being served up these days is entitled to vent a little anger. No doubt the happy clappers will continue to go because they have nothing else in their lives but how long before 1490 becomes 1250 then 1000?
Good posting.

Nicholson appears to be getting a very easy time on this forum.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Glad I'm not the only one.

I accept he's doing a great job at promoting the club in the community but maybe that's his calling. Football management perhaps isn't.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Another dreadful display, not just 2nd half but the whole match. No passion, no tactics, no skill, no believe, no desire, to even attempt to play football, let alone try and win the game. There's no point lumping it to Blissett if there's no runners. The midfield were 40 yards off the front, Nicho on the side telling them to get up the pitch and the players just strolling around. I'm not understanding the love for Richards. He's useless, player and captain. Rarely wins a tackle, when he does, its down to the opponent miscontrolling it more times than not, he cant pass the ball accurately further than ten yards, hes the captain, where's the drive, the passion?? There was more passion in the young boy on the drum amongst the Southport fan, should he not be echoing Nicho, driving the team forward??

I understand the clubs in rag order and in need of some investment, but I'm not having that's to blame for today or even the last few games. Perhaps if the players played better, listened to instructions, got a bit fitter, they might actually win a game of football, get some points, move up the league and look like a better investment for any potential buyers!

Nicho is doing his job well, but he needs the support of the players to help get the club up to where we all want it. They must take on some responsibility, they are happy to take the wages, its time they earned them.

The dwindling fan numbers are not going to improve in the short term with the football that's on offer, colder days/nights and with xmas on the horizon, why would people waste their hard earned money?? Perhaps the club need to offer some incentives to fill the ground, £10/£5 tickets will get the people through the door, get the commercial manager out of her office playing on twitter and actually advertise the club around the bay. That way people might actually know when events and fundraising campaigns are on.

Just hope this week provides us with some answers and we can draw line and go again this season!

Yellow Army!!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Modgull wrote: We actually got taken apart by Southport whenever they decided to get the ball down and play football. Our response was to start hoofing the ball up to the truly awful Blissett who will never make a target man - he couldn't control a ball to save his life. Our only chance of getting something out of the game was to match them and play to feet but our front three were given rubbish service for most of the game.
When watching the first game of the season at Macclesfield I and everyone else saw that just launching the ball long up to Blissett, in more hope than expectation, did not work. A target man needs to be able to control the ball and hold it up, unfortunately Blissett cannot do either of those things. His constant losing of the ball, tripping over his own feet and wayward passes should have shown then that he could not fulfil the role target man role. And yet, almost three months later we're still at it, things have not changed. We are all aware of the crippling financial situation at the club but something like this can't just be blamed on the lack of money. The manager has to take responsibility for the tactics he employs.