Torquay v Aldershot 22nd October 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tivvygull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Torquay v Aldershot 22nd October 3pm

Post by tivvygull »

As there isn’t a matchday thread yet I thought I would start one. My first ever thread in fact so go easy on me!

Torquay go in to the game in 18th place in the (non) league table with Aldershot climbing to 6th place following a run of only one defeat in their last 10 games, albeit a 0-4 defeat at home to Forest Green.

Like Torquay, they exited the FA Cup in the final qualifying round, losing 1-2 at home to Conference South side Eastbourne.

The last 6 meetings have yielded, well, zero Torquay wins, although only 2 have been at home:

12-03-2016 FT Aldershot 0 : 0 Torquay
03-10-2015 FT Torquay 0 : 2 Aldershot
06-04-2015 FT Aldershot 2 : 0 Torquay
25-10-2014 FT Aldershot 2 : 0 Torquay (FA CUP)
25-08-2014 FT Torquay 1 : 1 Aldershot
19-02-2013 FT Aldershot 1 : 0 Torquay

On a positive (straws?), we have played Aldershot 96 times and won 40 times, drawn 18 and lost a mere 38 times. So the odds must be in our favour right? Wrong. Best odds for Torquay to Win are 21/11 and Aldershot at 8/5 with the draw at 27/11.

Torquay lined up as follows against Woking on Tuesday:

Moore; Nicholson; Verma; McGinty; Gallifuoco; Chaney; Young; Richards; Sparkes [Chamberlain 85’]; Ward [Lathrope 72’]; Blissett [Williams 46’]; Sub Not Used: 26 Robba

I imagine Blissett will miss the game through injury and the same goes for Lathaniel Rowe-Turner who missed the replay with tendinosis of the groin which will need a further review this week.
Ben Gerring continues to be suspended as part of his 6 game ban.
Jamie Reid will be available again after being unavailable (thanks Exeter) against Woking.

Aldershot could line up with former Gulls Scott Rendell, Iffy Allen and Shamir Fenelon (formerly Goodwin).

I will be making the relatively short 40 mile trip to Plainmoor in hope of a morale boosting win. Hoping to see a good crowd, the weather should be dry and not too cold for the time of year (bring some food and flask of something warm, and use the money saved on buying food in the ground to buy a programme instead which directly helps the club financially!)

I will predict a 2-1 win with Reid scoring both goals following his enforced rest for the FA Cup games.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I will be there. Have a week in Torquay and so I'll be at Aldershot, Eastleigh and Southport. 4-6 points would be nice. Next two are tricky but Southport is a great chance to get three points.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A draw - with a bit of luck. Thus:
TUFC (0) 1
Aldershot (1) 1

Att: 1711.http://torquayfans.com/posting.php?mode ... f=3&t=9058#
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

For some strange reason, I'm feeling really positive about this one. I saw two magpies together on the way in to work this morning - must be that.

2-0 to the Gulls.

COYY :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I take the opposite view, I'm not expecting a great performance or result our team have been poor for a while now and Aldershot have won 6 and lost only 1 of their last 10 games and no shame in losing to FGR, however as always I'll never stop looking forward going. If the team take anything from the match, bonus, and I'll go home happy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

One key thing about this game is Jamie Reid is back!

Keep the team simple;

---------------Moore
-----Verma Mcginty GG LRT
------Richards - Lathrope
---Sparks--- Young ---- Reid
--------------Blisset
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I actually like this line up, should give us some width, and room to pump in balls for Bliss. As long as he's fit that is. I'm more nervous than excited, but it would be good to see the fans get behind the team, last couple of games it's felt like the crowds waiting for us to go behind.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Difficult game tomorrow. The ex Torquay players will certainly want to get one over us and we are likely to be nervous after recent matches. But for me, Reid coming back is a big plus. I would think Blissett is unlikely but could that be a blessing in disguise?
For me, Bliss has been way off the pace recently. I would like to see Reid/Williams play together but its obvious Nico doesn't trust Williams. Chaney will probably start instead. Nothing on the bench!!
I will take a point, 1 - 1 (probably very scrappy). Att: 1835.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

1-1 draw with Williams defying the critics and bagging the goal. 1500 in attendance.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Just went outside in the lovely fresh air of a bright autumn day. Blue sky and gentle sunlight and my optimism soared and then I spied a recently squashed hedgehog in the road. Red blood and guts. Oh no! poor little hedgehog. Optimism crashes and I wonder if this is an omen of todays game.....perhaps I should look for two magpies like Tarrboy 1.....

Got to believe in our team and who knows what can happen. We beat the Daggers and we can beat the Shots.....another battle....I do love matchday !!! Hope the singers are there today.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Expect less than a thousand to turn up for this game; they will remain silent, waiting for the Gulls to go behind. Which they will, and we'll lose 2-1.. :(
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Today's team

Moore
LRT
Lathrope
GG
Chaney
Young
Richards
Verma
Williams
McGinty
Reid

Subs

Duke
Ward
Robba
Chamberlain
Nicho
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

We've made 2 subs already:

Verma off (injured) - Ward on
Lathrope off - Nicho on
Last edited by Oil Beef Hooked on 22 Oct 2016, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

HT 0:0

Even game so far, both teams have had good spells and chances.
Steve

Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Flattest atmosphere I've heard for a while. Can't blame the crowd, haven't heard the team do anything of interest since I started listening.

I thought Duke had gone on loan to St Austell? He's on the bench today so has his loan been cancelled?