Torquay v Aldershot 22nd October 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Adrian Quelch is the grandson of the very well-known Henry Samuel Quelch of Greyfriars School.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

gullpower wrote: Unfortunately, as one of my mates always says, fifth division football - fifth division officials. But Adrian Quelch really takes the biscuit.

Also, why is it that the linos are petrified of making any decision that is not either an off side or right under their noses? When was the last time you saw a ref trot over to the side line to have a word with the lino?
They even wait for the ref's signal before flagging a throw.
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Adrian Quelch is the grandson of the very well-known Henry Samuel Quelch of Greyfriars School.
I don't know about him being anyone's grandson, but I seriously question his parentage ..... I hope he never finds his way to the Turnbull Ground - we had better refs in the South Devon league ! I imagine you're in a state of shock with the Seasiders sitting nicely on top the league after two good away wins last week. Ahhh - I remember the good old days when we had away wins. :whistle: At this rate, you'll be playing North Ferriby and Guisely next season !! Come on, you seasiders !!! :scarf:

Serious question, Wivel - I know it's still fairly early in the season, but what has caused the transformation from a side that just avoided relegation last season to a table topping side this season?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Tomogull: a year ago we appointed Chris Hardy (known as Pep Chardiola) as coach. After saving us from relegation last season he brought in a few players from his last club, Guisborough Town (Northern League Div. 1) who have easily made the step-up of two divisions. He has clearly introduced a depth of insight into tactics, training and overall management which was not present before. As yorkieandygull mentioned, he was in the frame for the York City post earlier this month which means his reputation is widening. For the fans, we have been treated to some quite delightful displays of football this season. There has been very little criticism on the WTFC Forum ( I might add this forum is a million times better) , and the whole atmosphere is positive and optimistic - quite the opposite to that I perceive at Plainmoor (info. from this website). We dream of promotion, naturally, and know It's a question of consistency and a hoped-for drop away in form from rivals (Buxton, Blyth, Hednesford); however I think that Spennymoor will win the league (although we beat them 0-1 away recently.) Spennymoor are, of course, the big spenders....
The problem is the sparse attendances (at least so far). 300 can be considered a good crowd. But as far as I can see Whitby is everything that Torquay isn't (at the moment, of course, and we know how fortunes can quickly change in football). But don't think my United allegiance is failing;on the contrary it remains as strong as ever (although, being 74 I doubt I'll ever see them play again); and, whatever happens at Whitby nothing, nothing, will ever beat the sight of Robin in his pomp - the best footballer EVER.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Lloyder5 wrote:I won't comment directly on a match I didn't see; I always find it iritating when posters do that. However, I don't think a 0-0 draw against a team in reasonable form, with a bare-bones 11 is a sign of us sinking lower. It is where we are at the moment; struggling and overall probably a good point.
A sensible adult has joined the party. Huzzah, crack open the Buck's Fizz and Kendal Mint Cake!

Has anyone else noticed that when we get battered and our keeper does well, we're lucky not to get hammered and when we batter teams and their keeper does well, it's also our fault for not sticking it in the net when we had the chance. Can't have it both ways, chaps.

Liverpool v Man Utd was a classic. De Gea made two saves in an hour and a half against a home side who had 75% possession and apparently it was Liverpool 0 - 0 De Gea. It's like these people have never seen football before.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"