Torquay United v Daggers

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Brilliant!!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good result, good fortune ,when their player got sent off, great goalkeeping by Moore his best game of the season. Nicho good decision by playing Ward right back he did a job. Lathrope had his best game and we looked stronger in midfield. Young was not brilliant but boy did he work hard for the team.

Well done everyone roll on Saturday. :keepie:
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

My first game this year. great result and really impressed with work rate. A few observations
1/Moore superb our most creative player in first half i love his early distribution.
2/Not knocking LRT i know hes had his distractors this year but why in the first half especially when he has the ball with acres of space in front of him does he not take the ball forward.
3/ i see we are still soaking the pitch at half time. never understood this some good through balls which just skidded away into touch.

But all in all thoroughly enjoyed the game plenty of chances both ends in first half.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Bloggy wrote:Just need one from Sparkes and we'll have x4 joint top scorers!
Nathan Blissett currently topping this list of course, as well as appearances and assists, and all of them on alphabetical order. The Blissett name paying off you could say.

Other stats from tonight:

Brendan Moore is now into double figures for clean sheets, from only 26 appearances.
Brett Williams getting booked as a sub takes is starts to bookings ratio up to an impressive 1:1 (5 in 5).
70 Dagenham fans was the highest of their 3 visits to Plainmoor on a Tuesday night, better than they managed in L2.

All this and more on the Twitter page @torquayfanstats and www.torquayfanstats.com
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I thought we were very lucky last night. We were played off the park by their 10 men for much of the game although they looked pretty clueless in front of goal after the sending off.

Before then Moore made a remarkable triple save to keep them out. He had a generally excellent evening.

We had 7 attempts all game and only 1 on target which, of course, was the goal - well created by Blissett and taken by Reid.

As usual we ended the game thoughtlessly hoofing the ball back to them and inviting pressure but this time we held out - just!

Much needed 3 points from a very ugly win.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

3 points is 3 points and its very welcome

but the performance was lacking last night especially in the 2nd half,

I thought bringing on Chaney was a mistake he looked slow and off the pace at that time I would have preferred williams

but then he did come on - got booked within 30secs and then jogged about and looked very uninterested

He took the position of Jamie Reid he should have been hugging the touchline and providing an outlet to at least retain some possession, from what ive seen of him im concerned by his attitude
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Very sporting ref last night. After the first 15 minutes, he could see it was an unfair contest and decided to reduce the Daggers to 10 men to even things up. Brendan must have thought he was at the Alamo during that opening quarter of an hour. It was a definite sending off, though, and Daggers 10 against our 11 made it an even contest. We played okay in the first half after the sending off but seemed to be all over the place in the second half as we came under unnecessary pressure because of misplaced passes and poor clearances.

Agree with Rob about Brett Williams. I was excited by his signing but he has been a huge disappointment. He looked as if he didn't want to be on the pitch. There was some baying on the Pop Side when he was booked but you just can't go diving in like that now, even if he did win the ball, and he should know that. It was a battling performance without much quality. The midfield trio - Richards, Young and Lathrope - worked hard and Joe Ward, pressed into service at right back, had a good game. We look a below mid-table side at the moment but hopefully things will get better as the season goes on. I thought the ref was okay last night. Bit fussy at times, but overall he didn't get much wrong.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SBP wrote:I m sure Richards could cover RB.

In fact apart from Berry when was the last time we had a dedicated RB??
Joe Oastler? :lol:

Daniel Bedwetter? :rofl:

Lee Mansell? :clap:

Chris Robertson? :clap:

John Bond? :bow:

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly great send off for Mark Pym, he'd of been in his element if he could have seen that, and congrats to the club for making it happen.

Well that certainly was not vintage Torquay United that's for sure, I suppose understandable of a bad run of results, thought the sending off for Dagenham to be fair was soft, if the boot had been the other foot, we'd have felt hard done by, but hey, who cares, for once a big decision went our way, did it affect the result, who knows ? A desperately needed 3 points for TUFC.

Dagenham are clearly a good side, and will have a big say in the top 5 places come the seasons end, was hard to tell who had the 10 men at times. The most pleasing thing from the last nights game was the back 4, to often this season they've looked like a bunch of strangers brought in off the street for a kick about, barely able to hold a defensive shape, individually caught out of position, and not really looking like they know what their jobs are, last night much better defensively and barely noticed LRT, that says a lot, credit where it's due, he showed a lot of character after his Maidstone performance, and the pelters he got from the crowd that day.

Mind you, had a laugh with some friends when an empty food container blew onto the pitch and landed in a pretty good, left back defensive position, we wondered whether Nicho would sign the said container as a replacement for LRT. ;-)

Already said above, but have to mention a fantastic triple save from Moore, a player growing in confidence after a shaky start to the season, which is most welcome.

All in all scrappy win, but, to repeat, last night reinforced what I've felt from the start, we have a team, who are not world beaters, highly unlikely to chase a promotion spot, but are more than capable of a safe mid table finish, hopefully off the field problems can be sorted and the club can build from there.
Formerly known as forevertufc
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

Enjoyed the match description by tomogull of last nights proceedings, extremely accurate and our eleven had problems coping with their ten .
I see nicholson has said tonight that we are down to the bare bones, i think he is being overly confident, Out of those four subs we have chamberlain who has something in him but it would have been child cruelty to bring him in against the league leaders, Nicholson, well he is good for a half, and a seasoned pro but will probably admit he no longer has any pace. Williams just doesn't wont to be here ,if he spent as much time in trying to score goals as he does in trying to get booked then he wouldn't be half bad. At last, young Chaney, I have watched him for the best part of three seasons now, Occasionally he will put in a half decent performance but not up to the levels expected of a professional footballer, but in the main he just drifts about being ineffectual, people tell me that he has talent, well I must get new glasses because i just don't see it, it has been said that he has the skill set to be the next O'kane, not in a million years,he looks bewildered most of the time, last night I was wondering whether he was playing for us or Dagenham.
So they are on the subs bench for a reason. Most people who post seem to be in general agreement that this United is well down on quality and class and judging by our financial situation I kind of see why. But if Chaney cannot force himself into the starting eleven after this time there has to be a very good reason.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

well that was my first evening game for gee x years, since moving from the area. On annual leave so thought I would treat myself to the delights of Plainmoor. Actually that sounds like Im taking the p@ss, but actually I enjoyed it and invoked many memories of evening games back in the 90's and 80's. Although the football is mmmmmmm ot the same.

We will never know but I doubt we would have beaten 11 men, the sending off evened things up a bit, but they still looked better to me.

The goal was good though, Blisset worked it well on the right and Reid finished like a striker should from there.

There is a lack of quality, there is no doubt of that, many safe options, safe passes and the ball control is sometimes not that good. Some players drift as well and seem off the pace. Courtney tried very hard though and if all the rest could copy his determination we would get a few more points.

I don't understand any professional footballer not putting in 100%, even if they don't want to be here. Because lets face it its one season, even if you are just doing for yourself to get a better move. If you get a reputation for not trying it cant look good on your CV, so I don't understand it. Actually I think its only one or two players, but that can make the difference of winning or losing.
TUST MEMBER