Torquay United v Maidstone

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That's a very good post SBP, I agree with all of that, bar your opinion on Sparkes, personally think he's been one of our better, and more consistent performers, problem with Sparkes is many of our fans are looking at him as an out and out winger, which he's clearly not, but he does do a lot of good work.

How many times did we see Young, then Ward and Chaney when they came on, put their put on the ball, look for options, but didn't pass because they couldn't. Our teams movement off the ball is utterly pathetic, our own players actually, really do mark themselves out of the game, it is schoolboy stuff.

At one point, Young was dispossessed off the ball, a friend of mine said, why didn't pass it forward, my reply was; Who could he have passed it to ?

Were Maidstone's defence well drilled ? personally wouldn't like to say.

One prime example was mid way through the second half. Verma crossed the ball into the box, and got moaned at, because it didn't reach Blisset, however, Blisset was between their centre and right back, to me correct position, but then, there was no one between the two centre backs or Maidstone's left back.

So yes, Maidstone's defence did look well drilled, because made them look good. the object of the exercise is to pull those centre backs out of position. If the keeper's going to kick long, in between the centre and full backs, take up attacking positions in between the two also, and movement off the ball, pull them their back line around, we did none of this yesterday.

Yes we had some good passages of play, but all to SSLLOOWW, no movement, so a lot of it went sideways and backwards. Lathrope should be sent away to get fit, and not in the starting line up, LRT replaced at left back, an utter liability, would start Scrivens, added some much needed pace and enthusiasm, was prepared to make runs and attack his full back, and would have one of Ward or Chaney in from the start, both added a spark, and both can pass, which Richards and Lathrope simply can not.

Got the basis of decent team, just needs fine tuning.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

When you think about it and remove how poor we were for that series of unforced errors, to use a tennis term, that led to three goals and the ease at which we carved out three clear cut chances, scoring two, Maidstone weren't really much cop. Gifted three goals and conceded goals two against a team at it's lowest ebb.

Making the right runs is a problem and, as said above, leads to the player on the ball having to hit a wonder pass, rather than a simple ball. Case in point, Verma again moving up the wing, every player in front running away from him. Ended up trying to slide a ball to the disappearing Reid and failed. This resulted in the young idiot behind me shouting again, 'Verma you are a disgrace', which was his stock phrase. We later had a minor spat.

I do this the players are there, barring a left-back and maybe another centre-half but changes need to be made. Perhaps the idea of Chaney playing off Blissett, my concern about that is that he doesn't have the pace and strength. Ward and Young, with Sparkes and Scrivens wide, seems risky but maybe it is the time to try it.
TUST number 080
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

forevertufc is spot on, as so often, when he highlights the teams failure with their movement off the ball.
Luke Young was caught in possession a number of times simply because he could not find a team mate to pass to.
When you see a good team ,watch the movement off the ball, which makes it difficult for defenders.
Verma is playing very well every game and the moron on the pop side who called him "a disgrace" obviously knows nothing about football.Every player makes mistakes and what people underestimate is the ball came to Verma very quickly.The goal which killed us was the third. Snoop has to be dropped for his own good.
Our big problem is center back.How do we replace Angus? This is such an important position.If we move McGinty to left back we would have Ben Gerring and GG in the middle both VERY inexperienced.
I think we should play Scrivens and Sparkes out wide and bombard the opposition with high crosses for Bliss who wins everything in the air. He is a giant but we are not playing to him.
Young is coming back to his best in midfield. I agree with foreever the team needs fine tuning. Remember last season Nicho took a bit of time but he worked it out and look what happened!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Interesting to read (in two separate reports) of in-fighting - literally - among the Pop side attendees. This is always a bad sign (like invoking Dean Mooney) and reminds me of a few seasons ago when United played Notts County away. The match was shown on television and United were the out-and-out underdogs. However, we managed to gain a respectable 2-2 draw (I think the last goal was by Mark Ellis). This caused an outburst of fisticuffs from Notts County supporters (old codgers fighting amongst themselves I was later told) in the grandstand.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Spud wrote:Nicho needs to take the players on a guided tour of Plainmoor, and point out where row Z is. Stick targets on it, pictures of Donald Trump. Would of saved us conceding at least one goal yesterday.
I do agree with you and the pics of Trump would only help. A defenders first responsibility is to clear danger and that is about making a quick decision. If row Z is the outcome then so be it. The problem is my 'friend' would be yelling 'disgrace'.
TUST number 080
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Lloyder5 wrote:With reference to the first goal I think the keeper was the one at fault. Verma was facing goal and played the ball with his feet in the 6 yard bow? Got to be keepers ball.
I disagree. I thought Verma headed it with back to the goal. If, as you say, he'd passed it to Moore with Odubade present, he put Moore in an impossible position.
TUST member 200 ;-)
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

portugull wrote:forevertufc is spot on, as so often, when he highlights the teams failure with their movement off the ball.
Luke Young was caught in possession a number of times simply because he could not find a team mate to pass to.
When you see a good team ,watch the movement off the ball, which makes it difficult for defenders.
Verma is playing very well every game and the moron on the pop side who called him "a disgrace" obviously knows nothing about football.Every player makes mistakes and what people underestimate is the ball came to Verma very quickly.The goal which killed us was the third. Snoop has to be dropped for his own good.
Our big problem is center back.How do we replace Angus? This is such an important position.If we move McGinty to left back we would have Ben Gerring and GG in the middle both VERY inexperienced.
I think we should play Scrivens and Sparkes out wide and bombard the opposition with high crosses for Bliss who wins everything in the air. He is a giant but we are not playing to him.
Young is coming back to his best in midfield. I agree with foreever the team needs fine tuning. Remember last season Nicho took a bit of time but he worked it out and look what happened!
From what I've sen on Youtube GG is a classy midfielder, first and foremost. Which explains why his distribution is so much better than McGinty's. I would prefer to see Gerring in the back four with GG the DM infront. Not Lathrope.

I said after the Tiverton friendly that Snoop was shown up when Kev took his place at left back. I'm afraid Snoop has been dismal all season - he has not improved since last here as other fans have observed. So many attacks broke down yesterday because he lost the ball trying to go past their defender, and with HIS poor defending, he's a liability. So, either pick yourself Kev, give Callum Hall a chance (he did well against WBA) or get a loanee in.
TUST member 200 ;-)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

I agree with you torq2u. GG is not a centre back.

Move him to midfield yes with Huth in the back four.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The spine of our team is really lacking. Moore is not the same keeper as last season. GG doesn't appear to be a CB, Richards, Lathrope and Young combo doesn't work and Bliss is extremely inconsistent.
Last season we got away with it with Angus, Racchi and Harrod (who I think we are missing big time)
Personally I would bring Gerring back in. He is without doubt solid in the air and I thought had improved significantly and his little drag back earlier on in one of the games suggests that. Young needs attacking players to run channels or wide players to target. He is never going to be a box to box midfielder. Some will probably disagree but I would like to see Reid play more of a free role maybe behind Bliss or even Sparkes . And don't bring him off so early!!
Play Chaney or Scrivens out wide. Ward needs to play, Lathrope needs time to get fit.
We need to remove NRT as soon as possible, what happened to that young kid who played LB and scored that good goal against West Brom??
However in my mind we need a LB asap and we need to sort the CB position out. I still think we need an experienced player in midfield.
Sorry getting carried away now for a minute I thought we had some funds.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Re-signing Racchi would be a start.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Agree
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

torq2u wrote: I disagree. I thought Verma headed it with back to the goal. If, as you say, he'd passed it to Moore with Odubade present, he put Moore in an impossible position.
I didn't mean Moore should have picked up Verma's pass, although I thought he just tried to flick it away from goal. I meant Moore should have taken the ball in the air and not allowed it to almost pitch in the 6 yard box
TUST number 080
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

He does not appear to have signed for anyone else.

Seems he refused our terms but pitched up at North Ferriby on August 20th to watch!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Highlights
Skip to 2.53m
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:Highlights
Skip to 2.53m
"...kamikaze defending..."

Apart from the three appalling errors that lead to the goals and LRT they weren't that bad.