Torquay United v Maidstone

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

That was utter rubbish. The back four and keeper were shocking. Not sure how anybody thought Mcginty had a good game is beyond me. He was one that made an error for the first goal. The first 35min was some of the worst football I have seen at Plainmoor.
We could nt defend we were all over the place, it was like watching kids football at times. LRT has completely lost any confidence he had, defensively he just may as well not be there. Probably Verma's worst performance for us. I honestly think Gerring is more solid than GG. He just cant head the ball straight and hes an accident waiting. I just don't know what to say about Moore, he's not the keeper I saw for us last season.
Lathrope is just not fit full stop. Why was Reid playing wide left in the 1st half?? For me he has to play more centrally. Sparkes was wide right and basically was non existent.
2nd half and I couldn't believe Nico had not made a change. We then gift them another goal, a complete balls up at the back again. That appeared to wake us up and we started to attack there LB with Verma and Reid. Chaney came on then Ward came on. Is it me or has Ward put on about 2 stone in a couple of weeks. Scrivens came on but it was way to late. The mom was awarded the Sparkes who had did nothing for me then missed a good opportunity shooting wide. Completely shocking, cant think of any positives. Young wears the shirt with pride and Reid is our most effective player if you play him in the right areas.

Well done to the Maidstone fans, credit to your club.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Let's stop kidding ourselves. That was absolute schoolboy stuff. Those defenders are being paid a wage. Two of them should leave immediately and be replaced by people who know something about a football and may stand a 50-50 chance of not passing to the opposition and the other two only need to watch the replays to realise they too have much work to do. The manager has to get a grip of the situation he brought these people in. It's a weaker league this year but play like that and we will be 24th. As for the Board - you have to realise you are destined to lose a lot more money by trying to save it in the way you envisage than by running the football club the paying fans are entitled to expect.

An observation- once again final quarter we were generally out of steam and direction despite having more to play for. It happens too frequently and clearly the manager needs to rethink things very very quickly.

Dean Mooney would have looked like Ronaldo today....
freddisley

Post by freddisley »

Last week after returning from Boreham I slaughtered the team quite rightly for the shambles they were. Today I should be doing the same, we cannot compete against very average teams and make no mistake this will come back to haunt us at the end of the season. Our defence is poor they are inexperienced and lack maturity, now if Nicholson knows anything about football he should have the ability to set up the back four, so this rests firmly on his shoulders. Midfield is a mess,Young has talent , Richards has industry, Lathrope maybe he is mates with the manager because there cannot be a compelling reason for playing him.But it is blindingly obvious they cannot play together as a unit.
Forgive me for repeating my favourite argument but this league is not for boys, it needs experienced pros something most teams in this league have already cottoned on too . We need a leader and after a dozen games I am convinced there isnt one within our squad.
Perhaps each week instead of contributing to the man of the match thread, we ought to start a who deserves a contract next season because at the moment I would be struggling to find five.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Very unusual these days for the name of Dean Mooney to be invoked. But when it does happen you can guarantee that trouble is just around the corner.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

:|
forevertufc wrote:Where do I start ? Holy sh!t a brick. You just can not go through 90 minutes and play against a side, today, Maidstone, who were no better than us an expect to win defending like that, but Maidstone did win, however the most annoying thing, they've scored all three of their goals off DIRECT assists from Torquay players, HOW ?

Not often I feel the need to single out a player, but today I'm going to, LRT, snoop, more like droop. That's got to be the single worst display from a TUFC player since Dean Mooney played for the club. LRT, if you had anything about you, you'd publicly apologise and donate this week wages to the player fund.

Please can we have Gerring back in, and McGinty to left back.

Not sparing Nicho here either, what possessed you to pick Lathrope in the starting line, really ? unfit, can't run, you'd have been better picking my 80 year mother to play in there.

And for that pitiful shambles of a display at half time, wtf was that all about. Dumb, dumb, dumber, stupid and fruitloop, banging on, and on, and on, and on, about something or other, on a PA system that either doesn't work, or they didn't know how to use.

Totally embarrassing day for our once great football club.
Very :goodpost:

Nico keeps talking about seeing a reaction. Christ, if that was it we're in trouble. Our performances need sorting out and quick as the atmosphere around the place has started to feel toxic.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We gave this match to Maidstone who to their credit brought 280 fans to Plainmoor.

Verma has been our most consistent player this season but the first goal is always important and it was a huge error by Verma. It was a tap in for Maidstone.

The second goal really proved we need Gerring back in the centre of defence. Boy are we missing Angus. Before being red carded a few games ago Gerring was showing much improved form and GG does not convince me.

Snoop had a shocker and to try and head back to his keeper was suicide. Maidstone could not believe their luck.

At times we did play some nice football but you cannot gift any team 3 goals and expect to win. I feel very sorry for Kevin Nicholson who is doing his best with very little back up.

We have to stick with the players. Criticising every mistake only makes them nervous and it showed today. We really should be beating teams like Maidstone. Barrow looked poor at Plainmoor and are now in the top 4. Things can change rapidly but they will not change for the better if we turn against the team.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

One usually has the impression that, by the end of September, the die is cast and the rest of the season's fortunes are apparent. Of course, self-deception and self-delusion set in too, especially among the rose-tinters. In his first book 'Left Foot Forward' Garry Nelson observed that usually three out of seventeen seasons were successful; the rest are either disastrous or mediocre.
Well, we're in for a good 'un at Whitby Town, there's no doubt about that. Optimism and a general sense of every game being looked forward to rather than dreaded is in the air at the Turnbull Ground. Yes, we lost our first league game of the season today, but that was bound to happen sometime or other. We were away at Stourbridge (almost a 500 mile round trip); incidentally, it would take less time for a TUFC coach to travel to Stourbridge than it does for the Whitby Town coach (yes, we do have them). The point for TUFC fans is that sooner or later (usually later) the good times do come round again, I'm afraid you just have to grit your teeth and endure when the bad times are here.
The attendance at Stourbridge today was 1005 and, yes, Karl Hawley has moved on. I will be at the Turnbull on Tuesday night to see Whitby Town vs Ashton United; I will keep you posted.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

portugull wrote:We gave this match to Maidstone who to their credit brought 280 fans to Plainmoor.

Verma has been our most consistent player this season but the first goal is always important and it was a huge error by Verma. It was a tap in for Maidstone.

The second goal really proved we need Gerring back in the centre of defence. Boy are we missing Angus. Before being red carded a few games ago Gerring was showing much improved form and GG does not convince me.

Snoop had a shocker and to try and head back to his keeper was suicide. Maidstone could not believe their luck.

At times we did play some nice football but you cannot gift any team 3 goals and expect to win. I feel very sorry for Kevin Nicholson who is doing his best with very little back up.

We have to stick with the players. Criticising every mistake only makes them nervous and it showed today. We really should be beating teams like Maidstone. Barrow looked poor at Plainmoor and are now in the top 4. Things can change rapidly but they will not change for the better if we turn against the team.
:goodpost:

Can't understand why Gerring didn't get his place back after his suspension, he was playing well. And something needs to change to improve the Mickey Mouse defending!
Scrivens looks as if he could give any defence problems given the chance. Give him a couple of starts and see how he fits in.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

With reference to the first goal I think the keeper was the one at fault. Verma was facing goal and played the ball with his feet in the 6 yard bow? Got to be keepers ball.
TUST number 080
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

portugull wrote:We gave this match to Maidstone who to their credit brought 280 fans to Plainmoor.

Sorry but the manager is a novice and out if his depth. Once again we're hoping there are four worse teams than us.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Nickbrod - luckily for us there are 8 teams worst than us - that's a hard one to fathom given they way we have been playing. I wonder what their fans must be thinking about their team?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Maybe I had my rose-tinted glasses on today and I will probably come in for some 'flak' but apart from dreadful individual defensive howlers, I thought we played okay-ish once Blissett scored. We were not good for the first half hour but we were on top for the last 20 minutes of the first half and in my opinion, looked the better side in the second half. Verma has come in for a bit of stick on here tonight, but all players make mistakes. He has been about our most consistent player up to today, and he had a good second half. The difference between Verma and Rowe-Turner is that LRT has been poor all season and today he was just awful. Their first goal started from LRT losing the ball in the Maidstone half when we were attacking and he had plenty of time and options to find another player. Nico and Robbie Herrera were both left backs so they will be fully aware of how poorly he is playing. Methinks the Players Fund has to be raided to bring in a loanee left back.

The third goal so early in the second half was the killer. Had we not conceded then, I think we could have well gone on to win the game. It was a stupid pass back by LRT, but could Brendan had done better? I don't know. Finally, the small minority of lads, and one loud-mouth in particular, on the Pop Side who boo'd the players and screamed 'rubbish' at the end of the game do nothing to help the team.

Maidstone are an average National League side - they won't have any relegation worries. But Christmas for them came three months early today. No complaints about the ref. One or two questionable decisions, but overall I thought he ref'd the game well.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

tomogull wrote:Maybe I had my rose-tinted glasses on today and I will probably come in for some 'flak' but apart from dreadful individual defensive howlers, I thought we played okay-ish once Blissett scored. We were not good for the first half hour but we were on top for the last 20 minutes of the first half and in my opinion, looked the better side in the second half. Verma has come in for a bit of stick on here tonight, but all players make mistakes. He has been about our most consistent player up to today, and he had a good second half. The difference between Verma and Rowe-Turner is that LRT has been poor all season and today he was just awful. Their first goal started from LRT losing the ball in the Maidstone half when we were attacking and he had plenty of time and options to find another player. Nico and Robbie Herrera were both left backs so they will be fully aware of how poorly he is playing. Methinks the Players Fund has to be raided to bring in a loanee left back.

The third goal so early in the second half was the killer. Had we not conceded then, I think we could have well gone on to win the game. It was a stupid pass back by LRT, but could Brendan had done better? I don't know. Finally, the small minority of lads, and one loud-mouth in particular, on the Pop Side who boo'd the players and screamed 'rubbish' at the end of the game do nothing to help the team.

Maidstone are an average National League side - they won't have any relegation worries. But Christmas for them came three months early today. No complaints about the ref. One or two questionable decisions, but overall I thought he ref'd the game well.
:goodpost:

I agree with you Tomogull,

Especially the 3rd goal timing

Had to laugh at the end, some loud mouth decided to barge and square up to someone else because they disagreed with him shouting "what a load of rubbish" :lol:
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I also agree with Tomo's assessemt. I also have questioned Moore not on the third but on the first but the point about LRT losing the ball up field is valid
TUST number 080
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Personally 4-5 passes out of defence through midfield is only good football if there's an end product. I cant recall there keeper making saves. Sparkes missed a sitter near the end. That was it.
Our midfielders sit very deep and option are limited because Bliss doesn't make runs, and Reid was playing very wide. Reid has the capability to make good runs which cause the opposition problems, however he is brought off too early. Sparkes needs to do more for me.