Boreham wood v Torquay united 17.09.16

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

midtable wrote:Nico made a big point of saying he only wanted players of good character who he could trust. Now after a handful of games he is trying to throw them under a Stagecoach bus. He maybe needs to take a day to reflect before becoming too emotional online especially as his tactics have a big influence on the game.
What was he supposed to say then midtable? Bad performance we will get it right by buying Poundland liquid nails and all the cracks will be fixed for Maidenhead next Saturday. No he has quite simply said they where shit today, lacked ambition and desire.and if it continues, fu###ff
Lucy
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I noticed that the Boreham Wood crowd was 605. In an F.A. Cup second qualifying round match between two teams from two 'steps' below United, the crowd was 607. I attended this game (Spennymoor United versus Whitby Town) and was treated to an excellent display of good quality football by two skilled teams whose players are - to a man - part-time and employed full-time elsewhere. Although my team (Whitby Town) lost, the away supporters left the ground happily (to an extent) because they had seen their team play good passing football, backed up by well-trained tactical and positional sense and knew that the future held a great deal of promise. Whitby's home crowds average about 250 (300 being break-even) but we are able to survive (and at the moment prosper) because of well-organised extra-mural activities (a summer pop gig brought in thousands) and because we have appointed a very good coach who is proving that his reputation is built on solid ground. (Incidentally this coach (or, I suppose, 'manager') is called C. Hardy (known as Chardy). Actually we all know him as Pep Chardiola. Just making conversation....
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at Plainmoor for the PSF when we beat West Brom 2-1.

We played well and Huth was fantastic. WBA threw everything at our defence in the last 20 minutes and we only conceded 1 goal.

What has changed? Huth!!!. Sometimes just one player makes a big difference.

Centre back is a crucial position. He needs to be big, experienced and a good header of the ball.

The nearest we have at present is McGinty.GG is not a centre back cannot head the ball like Aaron Downes. Ben Gerring is very very inexperienced at this level. This is why we are in trouble defensively.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Downes? Gerring? You need Reg Wyatt, my son.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Neal wrote: 2) Is this club run on peanuts. Compared to the Premiership the answer is YES, compared to Boreham Wood, Woking etc etc is this true? Maybe, and I don't know, they all have VERY wealthy benefactors, please enlighten me if this is the case

6) These teasm athat are part time, the players don't seem any worse to our full time players, how does that work, YES I know they are near London and maybe they have good jobs, mmmmmmmmm but you know I doubt it, Bankers in the city maybe, Barristors, Doctors, CEO's. I might be wrong but I doubt it!
To answer a couple of your points. Firstly Boreham Wood receive a considerable amount of extra income by renting their ground to Arsenal reserves, Watford reserves and Arsenal Ladies. When we had an opportunity to rent our ground to Truro City recently there was nothing but whining on these pages.
Secondly, I wouldn't be so sure. I remember in the 1980s Sutton drawing what was then 1st division Norwich in the FA cup after beating beating recent winners Coventry in the previous round. Television money wasn't slushing about then and the daily mirror ran an article which found that on average the Sutton players' average income was higher than the Norwich players'. Why? Because Sutton had lawyers, company directors, accountants and all sorts in their side.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

I went to Sutton away and then last week Woking away i made my thoughts know on those 2 performances.. as for this one i decided last minute to give it a miss and my god am i relived i did, ended up going to watch essex fc which was far more entertaining and in actual fact some better players than us especially the left back.... anyway.. after reading nico's comments im not sure what to make of it to be honest. the comments from you guys aqre the worst ive seen and not one positive so it must have been dreadful, can i get a report on LRT and also why the hell was it the same line up as woking. if williams is highly thought of why isnt he starting? he was the big name i was expecting things from this season, i would imagine someone like chamberlain would give 110% in any game, im guessing richards AGAIN didnt shout of get the team up for it?? time to change the captaincy asap to either verma or young. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just an idea.

Each home game the club sells raffle tickets at a quid a pop. The prizes being maybe free match tickets and programme for next game of your choice (home or away), free lunch at Gulls nest, free item of clothing under a certain value from club shop. Anything. Just give anything away as a prize. The fans know the club need transport to away games and if say at least a third of fans who turn up can spare a measly quid with each raffle fund going towards away day travel then the club could make 500 quid plus every home game to put to hiring a coach for the more difficult away games (which admittedly is most given the distance between Torquay and the rest of the country).

I've got no idea how much a coach costs to hire but if they can get one every now and then well, it would help.

The fans aren't really out of pocket, are helping the team maybe prepare better for away games and even might win themselves a little something into the bargain. Plus they and the club are coming together for mutual benefit.

Is it really that difficult to come up with an idea like this or to implement it?

Common sense idea IMO that's worth a try. Anyone have any reasoned and sensible arguments against this? Obviously the manpower is required to sell them in the first place but maybe existing programme sellers could push them and at other areas in the ground?

It would cost the club anything between 20 and 40 quid give away value each home game maybe but could recoup a lot more towards travel expenses and possibly resulting in a few more points on the board for the team come the end of the season due to better preparation. Could be the difference.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

wivelgull wrote:I noticed that the Boreham Wood crowd was 605. In an F.A. Cup second qualifying round match between two teams from two 'steps' below United, the crowd was 607. I attended this game (Spennymoor United versus Whitby Town) and was treated to an excellent display of good quality football by two skilled teams whose players are - to a man - part-time and employed full-time elsewhere. Although my team (Whitby Town) lost, the away supporters left the ground happily (to an extent) because they had seen their team play good passing football, backed up by well-trained tactical and positional sense and knew that the future held a great deal of promise. Whitby's home crowds average about 250 (300 being break-even) but we are able to survive (and at the moment prosper) because of well-organised extra-mural activities (a summer pop gig brought in thousands) and because we have appointed a very good coach who is proving that his reputation is built on solid ground. (Incidentally this coach (or, I suppose, 'manager') is called C. Hardy (known as Chardy). Actually we all know him as Pep Chardiola. Just making conversation....
Sounds like we had a similar experience on Saturday. My dad and I went to see Nantwich Town vs Marine in the FA Cup second qualifying round, again both teams are two tiers below Torquay, currently both mid-table in the Northern Premier League. Despite this, the game was of far greater quality than the debacle against Macclesfield I saw on the first day of the season, in fact it was the most fun I've had at any live football in a long time. Both sides played some good football with Nantwich scoring a well worked goal after 10 minutes, they went on to dominate the first half hitting the woodwork twice. The game ended up 2-2 after Marine scored twice and Nantwich equalising in the last minute. Attendance was 403 with about 20 or so visiting supporters, impressive considering Boreham Wood's 650 with 250 of those being Torquay supporters.

There was such a good atmosphere around the place, and it is a very nice new ground that's spotlessly clean and caters for the club's needs perfectly, with a 3G pitch next door. There were a lot of families watching and something in particular I noticed, quite a few children wearing Nantwich kits. The club clearly know what they're doing and are getting kids interested early on. All in all, great afternoon out. I can see why you enjoy going to Whitby, wivel.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Interesting post Orange. getting the kids interested is what We need to do. It would be even more interesting to work out how they do it and what the net benefit is.
Luke Young was captain 2 seasons ago. how come he isn't captain now. he seemed to do a good job when he got used to it and could be our answer.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We need some experience in the side and personally I would hold the captains armband back for that.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We need some experience in the side and quickly personally I would hold the captains arm back for that.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

wivelgull wrote:Whitby's home crowds average about 250 (300 being break-even) but we are able to survive (and at the moment prosper) because of well-organised extra-mural activities (a summer pop gig brought in thousands)
We tried the pop gig and ended up £35,000 in the red.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote: I am not saying this is the problem but confidence is a big thing with young players and Nicho has changed the formation nearly every game after 60mins and yes even when we were winning thinking it was all over. Confidence or belief which the players did have a few weeks ago has gone. The squad is not strong enough as you've said but you don't change a formation during a game whilst your winning to give players a rest or give players a game unless you've got players who slot in safely. Nicho has done this several times.

A formation suited to the players you have, makes a world of difference especially at a higher level. If you have not got the players to improve what you've got, you've reached a point that you've got to accept that's the best I can do.

I believe in Nicho and think he will get it right but he's got to get to the level he got it to, a few weeks ago, sooner not later. Like you said a plan B when you are a head would be to put Lathrope in front the back four but Nicho's not had him available. We've not got a bench to change things going forward unless Ried was on it. Chaney in pre-season was our best striker with Blissett as he worked back behind him creating openings and scored.
Pretty much agree with all of that. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc