Boreham wood v Torquay united 17.09.16

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

ooh my commo is behind everyone else. oooh
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A mate of mine is at the game today and, after 20 minutes, he sent a text to say we're shit and now he understands why I haven't been this season.

So glad I didn't break my ban and go today.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

For those who have not seen it (from the Official Site)

“I’m disgusted to be honest, a little bit embarrassed” said Kevin.

“I back those boys all of the way and I’ll keep backing them because they are good people but it doesn’t matter whether you are a good person or not, when you go out there and you’re representing a football club like we’ve got, you’ve got to put yourself on the line. You’ve got to want to win, you’ve got to want to put yourself in harm’s way, whether it is to score a goal, stop a goal, you’ve got to be alive.

“It’s an honour to be a footballer; it’s a privilege to be representing Torquay United. You saw today that there was a crowd of six hundred and we had virtually half of them. It’s unbelievable what our supporters do, considering especially what they have gone through. And today we have let them all down to a man.

“I think the only player for me that come out with any credit whatsoever was Luke Young who kept going, kept on it, and kept doing what he can do.

“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the first half, after what happened on Tuesday at Woking I expected a reaction. We looked like we were five yards slower than them. One simple ball got through us four/five times. We were lucky not to be more than two down before half-time.

“Forget the penalty. Whether it was or wasn’t - Bliss missing it or not missing it, the point was we didn’t deserve that [the penalty]. We didn’t deserve to go in two one. He saved it and that’s exactly what they deserved.

“Second half I think they let us have it to be totally honest. You could argue that we played the ball on the floor and we kept it quite well but it was nothing. It wasn’t cutting them up; it wasn’t putting them under pressure. It was them seeing the game out quite happily at two nil.

“With five minutes to go I saw one or two of ours [players] virtually give up which disgust me even more and won’t be tolerated. So I’ve not said too much to them in the dressing room because we’ll be in [training] tomorrow and we’ll dissect it then.

“At this point I think a few of them have to go away and have a look and see if they really want to be successful, if they really want to be a part of getting Torquay United back where it wants to be, they’ve got to give more than that.

“They’re a good group of lads. There are no bad eggs in there. It’s a good group but sometimes maybe you can be too nice. If they don’t start really showing me the kind of aggression and will to win more than anything, then tactics, formations, home, away, none of that matters it’s just how badly do you want it. Today, if I was a neutral I would have said that the white team wanted it more than the yellow.

“I took responsibility for Woking because I think we over worked them in training; we put them through a lot to get the reaction we did against York. I thought we paid the price on Tuesday but there are no excuses for today. We have given them time to recuperate; we’ve given them plenty of time to rest. It was a big thing made that we came [to the match] in cars; I really don’t care you can on bikes for all I care, that has nothing to do with what we did today. I was proud that they made the decision to do that, but then don’t make the decision to give yourself the best chance and then go out there and go under with such a whimper.

“It’s poor, and it’s all of us. I’m part of that, a massive part of that and so are all of the coaching staff. So are everyone involved. We all need to go away; we all need to evaluate. We’ll make the decisions as they come along.

“If I was Boreham Wood then I would think that I’ve played pretty well in the first half but the fact is that they didn’t work for their goals. They didn’t do anything special, they just kicked the ball over us and ran onto it and that is absolute under twelve, the very first thing you learn how to defend. We’ve got to be better. They didn’t do anything clever to hurt us. They stuck some reasonable quality balls over the top and we just looked shell-shocked and that is what disappointed me most.

“If a team passes it around you with great precision and finishes properly then sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say “well done” to the other team. Today and against Woking we conceded goals that were so easy and so sloppy that it’s just not acceptable.

“There is no real reason that they should’ve been like that. They had a good week’s preparation, easier than last week to make sure that they were fresh for this game.

“We’re just talking about going out there and giving everything you’ve got for your team, and it looked to me like they didn’t today.

“We’ve got to start showing some consistency. Our supporters have been great home and away. We’ll work hard again this week. As disappointed as I am now, the game has now gone and I’ve got to learn. I haven’t been a manager a year yet and I’ve got a lot to learn, but the players have got to look at themselves and ask themselves some tough questions.

“I back them. I back their character. I know they’ll be hurting in there [the dressing room] but I’m hurting for the fans that paid good money for them to watch today, because I’d be going home very, very disappointed with what I saw"
freddisley

Post by freddisley »

Just got back from the game but have to admit that I could not stick it to the end .
Could someone please explain to me what the hell is going on in more than four letter words. I have not seen us play that bad since I don,t know when.
To single out any one player would indicate that the others were slightly better than Sunday league (no disrespect intended to you Sunday players). There was no organisation, no style, no plan, no heart, it was embarrassing.
Now I have faith in Nicholson but he must stop making statements like its far better to stay over in a hotel than travel on the day, REALLY. Woking was a one off, we won,t play that badly again.REALLY. Both statements either show they are comments for the media and come from the managers book of excuses or that the team are not listening to what he is saying.
I have just read his after match comments coming down the M5, he seems as pissed as I am , and the comments about several members of the team need to look at themselves is an understatement, try the whole team.
I am no sage that possesses wisdom that others dont but this is a league for experienced pros not the boys who masquerade as Torquay players. When we saw their team warming up my son said these are a big team of experienced pros, and so it proved to be, they were not class, but again and again they physically frightened the daylights out of our midfield and back four.
The only positive I can take from the match is those bastards had to pay for their fuel to come home, I did my part in driving up there and back, what did they bring to the day?
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Nico made a big point of saying he only wanted players of good character who he could trust. Now after a handful of games he is trying to throw them under a Stagecoach bus. He maybe needs to take a day to reflect before becoming too emotional online especially as his tactics have a big influence on the game.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Very disappointed with this result and performance. If there are players at our club who were laughing or chuckling during the game that tells me all I need to know about there fight and commitment to the team. Im sure the travelling fans who paid good money to attend this match are disgusted.
This is a big test for Nico to sort this out. I also question our preparation for this game. Giving the players time off and travelling in their cars.
So the decision not to use Baylink and travel in cars was purely cost saving or a footballing decision to give the players time off who don't live in the area??
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Oh dear, Oh dear! Watcombe Wanderers on Monday; that hastily arranged fixture speaks volumes, but perhaps not so loudly as Mr. Nicholson's comments which are available on the Official site.
You can write and speak volumes. of course, but no-one can evade the bottom line: the players aren't good enough. Last week I re-read Garry Nelson's 'One Foot in the Grave'. In the depths of winter, in the depths of depression, in the depths of unending defeats and poor performances he and Kevin Hodges 'speak' to the team after another defeat. He sees one player sniggering. 'What do you do?', Nelson writes. 'You have a shower, you change, you go home. Sod 'em.'
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

What I find hard to understand is Kevin Nicholson hand picked this group based on their character and commitment to the cause.

After 11 matches four of which were wins why have we put in two such abject displays? In reality in all but one of the six away games we have played, by all accounts, we have been terrible.

Is it the formation 4 4 2? Is it over training? Is it pure and simple we are just not good enough?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with wivelgull. The team that Nicholson assembled at the end of last season would have got us in the play offs. However this time around the team just isn't good enough.

Unfortunately whatever the manager says or does won't matter. I criticised Nicholson last season but ultimately he did well and assembled a good team on a limited budget.

It isn't his fault. He is supported by a board which are hopeless in truth. I accept that they have no money and are well intentioned apparently but that doesn't alter the fact that they cannot even sort out adequate travel arrangements for the team to away matches.

Boreham Wood ( a better team than us) can muster home support of three or four hundred people. We get five times that but apparently still cannot afford a coach to take the players to an away match.

Unfortunately it isn't going to get any better. The defence is a liability. Most of our players are not fit for purpose and if we get injuries to one or two of are better players ie Young or Blissett we are surely doomed to relegation this time.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes he did hand pick these players, but the point missed time and time again. Our club financially is running on peanuts, and when you only have peanuts, you can only pay peanuts.

When you pay peanuts, you only attract monkeys. The only criticism I will level here at Nicho is; He said the one thing my team will not want for is fitness, so far this season our team has looked a long, long, in fact a country mile away from being physically to play 90 minutes of football, or over tired to compete for the whole game, and this is the reason why we don't have at least 6 more points than our team have gained so far.

There are some possible reasons for that, has Nicho over done the strength training, has he overdone cardio work with the team, or just not done enough work on this side of things, I don't know the answer to that, hopefully he does and will correct it.

Our squad is only as good as it is, I feel sorry for Nicho in some respects not all however, as pointed out above, Nicho is working under some of the most tight restrictions any TUFC manager has in recent times, Martin Ling once said the answers were in the building, and he was right, Nicho's problems lie in the fact the answers are NOT in the building, and he doesn't have the money to go out and buy them, had the conversation during a game the other day, a mate said think Nicho has to change this otherwise we'll lose, my answer was; Look at the bench, who can he bring that can change this ?

All this Nicho should play; 4-4-2, no he should play 4-5-1, no should 4-4-1-1, or diamond, or spaghetti, or panty pads with wings formations, it's all nonsense.

A manager should know what his best team and A game, preferred tactics are, and stick to it, constantly changing it, tinkering, over complicating matters , will lead to results and performances getting worse, said it 100 times and we all know this, there is no magical way of managing or playing football, if there was, everyone would do it.

All very well picking a team and formation, where a good manager earns his corn, is when your A game isn't working, and having a go to plan B , or coming up with that tactical change that will swing the game back your favour, maybe Nicho lacks that, I don't know that either.

What I do know is, the club is where it is, it needs us fans have to stick with the club, if we don't there will be no club to moan about in less than 12 months, the shit is getting serious for TUFC.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well, sod the Player Fund. What we need is a 'Hire a Coach' Fund. I wonder how many other clubs in the National League expect their players to drive themselves to away matches and pay for their own fuel? Brucie is right. This is Mickey Mouse stuff. I understand the financial constraints but as Brucie says - Boreham Wood attract 300-400 of their own fans to home matches, we bring in 2000. To say we can't afford a coach for away games is cr*p. I'm not trying to make excuses for two very poor performances, but the current travel arrangements can't be helping team spirit.

Angus is playing regularly for Barnsley and Nathan Smith has just been offered an improved three-year contract by Port Vale. Gawd - how we are missing them (and Dan Butler). I'm not convinced that the McGinty/Gallifuoco partnership is working. I wonder if Gallifuoco might be better used as a midfield player? But a replacement central defender would have to be found because Gerring is not the answer.

Oh, dear Wivel - no F.A. Cup glory for the Seasiders this season. Beaten 1 - 0 at Spennymoor - I thought it would be a tough draw when I read who they were playing. Never mind - you can concentrate on the league. The good news from the Gulls point of view is that Basingstoke are out ....... But there are plenty more banana skins left in !
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

tomogull wrote:Well, sod the Player Fund. What we need is a 'Hire a Coach' Fund. I wonder how many other clubs in the National League expect their players to drive themselves to away matches and pay for their own fuel? Brucie is right. This is Mickey Mouse stuff. I understand the financial constraints but as Brucie says - Boreham Wood attract 300-400 of their own fans to home matches, we bring in 2000. To say we can't afford a coach for away games is cr*p.
Isn't it Woking that were letting the train take the strain a couple of weeks back (and suffered through the unreliability of the timetable). Though Dover fly to their away matches. It takes all sorts in this league. What I don't quite understand is how skint we are with the size of gates we get, compared with those clubs with much smaller gates.

Well done to Gus and Nathan, by the way. We miss 'em big time. And I agree that GG ought to be plying his cultured skills in midfield. His pairing with McGinty doesn't seem to be working.
TUST member 200 ;-)
GULL6667

Post by GULL6667 »

No basic skill, technique, organisation, pride or passion etc etc.
No captain, Richards is a joke.
Why didn't Luke take the penalty?
How many other away teams provide over 40% of the total crowd?
Sutton, Woking and now Boreham Wood they deserve better.
It'll take a huge improvement to see me at another away game this season.
EMBARRASSING.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Yes he did hand pick these players, but the point missed time and time again. Our club financially is running on peanuts, and when you only have peanuts, you can only pay peanuts.

When you pay peanuts, you only attract monkeys. The only criticism I will level here at Nicho is; He said the one thing my team will not want for is fitness, so far this season our team has looked a long, long, in fact a country mile away from being physically to play 90 minutes of football, or over tired to compete for the whole game, and this is the reason why we don't have at least 6 more points than our team have gained so far.

There are some possible reasons for that, has Nicho over done the strength training, has he overdone cardio work with the team, or just not done enough work on this side of things, I don't know the answer to that, hopefully he does and will correct it.

Our squad is only as good as it is, I feel sorry for Nicho in some respects not all however, as pointed out above, Nicho is working under some of the most tight restrictions any TUFC manager has in recent times, Martin Ling once said the answers were in the building, and he was right, Nicho's problems lie in the fact the answers are NOT in the building, and he doesn't have the money to go out and buy them, had the conversation during a game the other day, a mate said think Nicho has to change this otherwise we'll lose, my answer was; Look at the bench, who can he bring that can change this ?

All this Nicho should play; 4-4-2, no he should play 4-5-1, no should 4-4-1-1, or diamond, or spaghetti, or panty pads with wings formations, it's all nonsense.

A manager should know what his best team and A game, preferred tactics are, and stick to it, constantly changing it, tinkering, over complicating matters , will lead to results and performances getting worse, said it 100 times and we all know this, there is no magical way of managing or playing football, if there was, everyone would do it.

All very well picking a team and formation, where a good manager earns his corn, is when your A game isn't working, and having a go to plan B , or coming up with that tactical change that will swing the game back your favour, maybe Nicho lacks that, I don't know that either.

What I do know is, the club is where it is, it needs us fans have to stick with the club, if we don't there will be no club to moan about in less than 12 months, the sh!t is getting serious for TUFC.
I am not saying this is the problem but confidence is a big thing with young players and Nicho has changed the formation nearly every game after 60mins and yes even when we were winning thinking it was all over. Confidence or belief which the players did have a few weeks ago has gone. The squad is not strong enough as you've said but you don't change a formation during a game whilst your winning to give players a rest or give players a game unless you've got players who slot in safely. Nicho has done this several times.

A formation suited to the players you have, makes a world of difference especially at a higher level. If you have not got the players to improve what you've got, you've reached a point that you've got to accept that's the best I can do.

I believe in Nicho and think he will get it right but he's got to get to the level he got it to, a few weeks ago, sooner not later. Like you said a plan B when you are a head would be to put Lathrope in front the back four but Nicho's not had him available. We've not got a bench to change things going forward unless Ried was on it. Chaney in pre-season was our best striker with Blissett as he worked back behind him creating openings and scored.
Last edited by arcadia on 18 Sep 2016, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I didn't go, and this was a match in my catchment area, in truth I forgot :)

Anyway. Its all a bit odd.

1) Nicho did say we would be the fittest team in the league, and as we are full-time and some of the other teams are not, this should be achievable EASILY!

2) Is this club run on peanuts. Compared to the Premiership the answer is YES, compared to Boreham Wood, Woking etc etc is this true? Maybe, and I don't know, they all have VERY wealthy benefactors, please enlighten me if this is the case

3) I agree, I don't think it matters that much what formation you play AS LONG AS ITS THE FORMATION THAT SUITS THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE. Plan B is easy, its Long ball, you need a guy preferably 6ft X who is built like a brick sh*t house and can head a ball, that's it. One or 2 fast small guys to run on to the knock ons. If your losing with 15 minutes to go, PLAN B, simples.

4) We have one of the best away following in this league EASILY! How the heck cant we at least compete with teams who have an average home attendance of 300 to 500. Actually we should not attend the away games maybe as we are only helping these clubs financially. The support we give doesn't seem to motivate the players so its a lose lose situation.

5) The supporters expectation this season is lets be honest low, the management and team don't actually have to achieve much this season to keep us happy. A draw at Boreham Wood would have probably keep most of us sort of happy. But losing 2-0 with no passion to a team with attendances like they have is pathetic!

6) These teasm athat are part time, the players don't seem any worse to our full time players, how does that work, YES I know they are near London and maybe they have good jobs, mmmmmmmmm but you know I doubt it, Bankers in the city maybe, Barristors, Doctors, CEO's. I might be wrong but I doubt it!
TUST MEMBER