Woking v Torquay Tuesday 13 Septamber 2016 (k.o.7:45 pm)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Trying to be positive and look at some of the other scores. Lincoln not beating 10 men of Solihull. North Ferriby winning at Gateshead. So much inconsistancy.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

A few thoughts about the tonight's game.

The 2nd half performance was pathetic, inept, spineless & totally unacceptable.
We do not have the players to play 4-4-2 away from home.
Our midfield is too lightweight.
We need to work on preventing crosses and closing down players on the edge of the area.
Luke Young is a pale shadow of the player he was.
If Scrivens can't get in this team or make a difference when he comes on as sub he needs to be sent back to West Brom.
We played far too many long balls up to Blissett.
Richards is an extremely limited footballer. He needs to play as a defensive midfielder in front of back four not on the right wing.
Moore's handling was poor, He must have spilled 4 or 5 shots/crosses.
There must be a better left back out there than LRT even for the money we are paying.
I have seen 2 games this season, Sutton & Woking, and the current team is one of the worst I've seen in 45 years of supporting the club.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

We don't pop the champagne when we win & we don't pop the pills when we lose.

An even first half, no complaints to be in front. Second half Woking looked to step it up a gear or two and it looked inevitable that they'd go on and win.

Woking had John Inman on the tannoy, that was vaguely amusing. Dan Sparkles indeed!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Utter dross.

As bad - if not worse - than the Sutton performance.

First 5 minutes we looked good, started well and looked like we were going to give Woking a thorough going over. It was all downhill from there.

No retention on the ball. Badly over powered in midfield. Blissett won nothing in the air all game, yet we persisted in hoofing the ball up to him time and time again. Defence played far too narrow, giving the Woking Number 2 (Caprice, who had a superb game) all the time and space he wanted.

So many players were awful today. LRT, Sparkes, Moore, Richards, Blissett, Reid all dire. Moore in particular, worst I've seen him play. To the point where it's worth considering playing Robba.

Sure, I agree with the notion that we will win some, lose some with this side and probably end up mid-table. But if we are going to be comfortable we'd need to be taking at least a point away from Woking and we spectacularly failed in that respect
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

Not a great second half to say the least! Does anyone know why Nicholson decided to take Ward off at half time?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

I was not at the game but on Radio Devon the summariser concluded that Gary Hill, a very experienced Manager,had completely out thought Nicho with his tactics which prevented any service to our strikers.

This result proves beyond doubt that Nicho still has a long way to go with this group of players. So disappointing after 3 wins in the last 4 games.

Last Saturday I sat next to the Referees Assessor at Plainmoor and he thought the League this year is wide open with no dominant team like Cheltenham last season and Barnet the season before. I think he may be right.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

If we are to keep away from the lower reaches of the league, these are the sort of games we should be picking up points from. Woking's finances have meant they have had to drastically reduce their playing budget, hence why they are in the bottom four. Last night was a poor result - no arguments about it. Gary Hill, the Woking manager, has been around the National league for some while and will have been well aware of the limitations of Rowe-Turner. From the radio report last night and from postings on here, he was targeted and it paid off big-time. There are question marks over one or two players in this side and I'm sorry to say that LRT is one of them.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

LRT was no better and no worse than anyone else. Poor performance, wrong result so regroup and move on.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

I have to say i didn't think it could get any worse after Sutton, and last night there were no excuses for pitch/travel etc it was simply embarrassing and frustrating.

The lack of effort, desire, ideas, leadership were all their to see.

I have to say CRichards being made captain baffles me, last night he didn't open his mouth once and i didn't hear anything from anyone else.

Their right back was quality and a threat every time, however he was up against one of the worst players i have witnessed in LRT, my god he is utter toss and seriously there must be someone in the SDL that could do better. What was he signed for?? If he starts saturday then there is no clues or ideas behind the scenes.

The bench and staff looked out of ideas last night and the result proved that, its very hard to go to see that week in week out and travel with cost, if this continues then i can only see attendances dropping because there are 3/4 players there who shouldnt be there.

All this hype about sparks, he literally did nothing against sutton and same again last night, no pace, no flair, thought he was a winger????

Personell need to change in some positions, only shining light again was verma all the rest should actually be embarrassed
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Well, that was crap wasn't it! .... no cohesion... couldn't keep the ball the few times we had it.... couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo.... I may be wrong, but the only shot 'on target' was our goal... Poke's gloves won't need cleaning this morning. Very disappointing performance all round, and as mentioned above, how the hell is Richards the captain? .... never heard a peep from him all night.... maybe he was hoping his little 'prayer' as he walks on to the pitch was enough.... two highlights.... as mentioned, 'Sparkles' being replaced.... and the toothless wonder who dragged the 'bring out your dead' cart in the second half.... 'Woking's a sh*thole, I wanna go home'..... cue loud voice from said toothless wonder.... 'Well, F**K OFF HOME THEN'... angry man indeed! .... I've done three away trips this season... Macclesfield, Sutton and Woking... yes, I'm NOT going to Boreham Wood!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

I did not attend he match last night but listened to the radio commentary, I tend to listen to the radio commentary of the home team as they seem to do their homework better and actually know the names of our players but that aside It didn't seem good at all, I would be very interesting to know what the team talk was, how Nicholson asked them to play, what was different to the game last week. But regardless I will produce the comments of a good friend who hasn't been to a Torquay game for years but lives near the ground and decided to go along. "You have five or six players who could fit comfortably into any conference team , the remaining players need reporting to the Trading Standards Department for having the nerve to market themselves as professional footballers", and his second text was, " Do your team like defending because they seem to do a lot of it, badly".
Having watched most of the games this season I cannot argue with any of the comments, but on balance we know we are lightweight in several departments but how the team can play back to back games so differently is beyond me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I suppose, after those recent improved performances, that we should have half-expected a performance like that yesterday. Kevin Nicholson's analysis was spot on, and we should have faith in him to deal with the problem. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37360102

Yes the squad is lightweight in a few areas, and a senior player or two with experience would benefit the squad considerably. However, such players come a little bit more expensive, and would probably be more than the budget could cover right now.

Besides which, the second half of the season, when we'll have a clearer picture of the situation regarding injuries and suspensions and of where it's necessary to strengthen the side, along with the availability of loanees, will be the time to bring players in for the home run.

In the meantime, carry on with the coaching, training and fitness regimes, and continue the contributions to the Players Fund..
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

fred disley wrote:I did not attend he match last night but listened to the radio commentary, I tend to listen to the radio commentary of the home team as they seem to do their homework better and actually know the names of our players but that aside It didn't seem good at all,
I swapped over from Radio Devon because the commentator was spouting such inane things (eg 10 minutes into the game, saying about the journey home being so much fun after a win) (!) and he could not get GG's name right. It is NOT Jellfiaco. OK Call me Mr Picky.

But i have listened to their commentary while watching at Plainmoor and I just know how much they get wrong. People look at me oddly when i shout out "That wasn't Young - it was Richards!" So, I agree with you Mr Disley - the Surrey pair seemed to be so much more on the ball.

PS we won 3-2 last night, yes? With goals from Jellyfiasco, Sparkles and Walliams ;-)
TUST member 200 ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I'm a bit miffed that we go 0-1 up and we change the formation with two light weight wide players who are inexperienced. I read on a previous post that the coaching manual tells you to make decision early before something could happen when using substitutions. Well that says it all, coaching is different to managing as you gain experience from decisions you make. I hope we learn from this as it's been on going.

Hargreaves tried playing 4-4-2 and did not learn as you need to play narrow we have been to expansive.

We've had a few games where we've switched formation after substitutions and won but got away with it. I feel that the way it works out is we get over run in midfield when we go 4-4-2 with the players we've got. When you go away we should keep it tight and nick a result we play to open.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I started listening the game on BBC Surrey, to be honest their commentators were superb I thought, seemed very knowledgeable, about both sides, clearly know a fair amount about our club, and could pronounce GG's name, sometimes it can pay to listen to the other side.

Anyway, had a feeling even at 0.1 the game was going to end in tears, so ditched the commentary and treated myself to, Barca v Celtic, now that game wasn't to shabby at all. :) The season for TUFC is still panning exactly as I've thought all the way a long, can see us ending with 15 wins 17 defeats and stuck in mid table, do need however, to start turning some of these away defeats into draws at least, to avoid being dragged down to the bottom.
Formerly known as forevertufc