Torquay United v York City - Saturday 10th September 2016

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just have to say it.............

Yorkieandy - your boys took one hell of a beating!

:clap:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great win good to see Blissett get in the box and we played well for 60 minutes. We nearly gave the game away after the substitutions we lost the midfield when we switched to 4-4-2.Chaney could have switched over for Ward and kept the same shape. The priority should be points not saving players for midweek.
There were signs of players holding the ball the last five minutes but we should not show boat, we are not good enough.
Yes I'm moaning when we win but that's the time to learn. Never be satisfied!
Thought McGinty was outstanding and has settled down to be an excellent signing. Moore saved Nicho's blushes saving us a few times near the end, the real plus was Blissett scoring he's deserved that all season.

A golden rule when managing and winning the last five minutes don't send your centre halves up for corners. You can play it short. The reason is the keeper catches the cross hits it long and bingo the've scored. It did not happen but it could have put it right now before it's to late.
Last edited by arcadia on 10 Sep 2016, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

A deserved 2-0 win today with some very good play at times. It was not all plain sailing as York themselves had some very clear chances in the second half and a better team you feel could have punished Torquay for some familiar defensive frailties like Lincoln did last week. Crowd a good atmosphere but 1,989 a little disappointing, 100 odd from York. Sponsors MOTM going to two goal hero Blissett.

Torquay torn straight into York from the off and from a clever move earned a free kick just outside the penalty. Luke Young put the free-kick over the bar. Torquay looked quick and slick and on 6 minutes Luke Young passed the ball out to Sparkes on the right. An inviting cross was headed in by Blissett at close range. It was important that Torquay had turned their early superiority into a goal. York were unlucky not to equalize. LRT at left back was beaten too easily for my liking and York's shot crashed off the inside off the post. The rebound was put into an empty net but the player was stood in an offside position. Blissett's second goal on 29 minutes was a smart turn and volley after a Torquay effort was blocked and looped in the air to Blissett who crashed the ball home. Torquay were good value for the two goal lead. There were some good one touch pass and moves and our front two, Blissett and Reid, were a right handful and complement eachother very well. One memorable incident in the first half should be mentioned was when a Torquay player battled and won the ball near his own corner flag and set up a dangerous attacking move. What was remarkable about that I hear you ask? That player was none other than our main striker, Blissett himself. What commitment!

Torquay were a bit hit-and-miss in the second half as both teams had a hatful of chances. York did put plenty of effort in and at times seemed certain to score. Moore had a solid match apart from his wayward distribution at times. Moore did a great tip over save and York also hit the bar. Torquay's defenders did not help their cause at times with some sloppy defending. Gallifuoco misjudged the ball once or twice that let in York but they did not punish us. But at the other end Torquay had opportunities to wrap the game up. Sparkes shot weakly when through inside the penalty area. Unlike last week, Torquay used all 3 subs by the 78th. minute but it was only 18 year old loanee Scrivens who made an impact. He made one or two dashing runs down the right wing beating some defenders in the process. On one such occasion he pulled the ball back on the by-line but there was no-one in the right position to finish off. This summed up Torquay's second half performance. We were in some excellent position only for the final pass not to find a yellow shirt. If it was not for a two goal cushion, the last part of the match would have been nerve wracking as there were periods when Torquay could not get out of their own half and were under the cosh. Somehow we did not concede and Moore can take credit for that by having a commanding game.

So a deserved victory with some good passages of play and we look too good for any relegation worries. But we are still some way off from making a serous challenge at the right end. We did again go into our shell again for the last 20 minutes or so but this week we did not get punished for it and our players eg Gallifuoco or Rowe-Turner do have a mistake or two in them that may or may not be punished at this level. York today could not capitalise today on this.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

[quote="MellowYellow"] . Do no expect many goals from Blissett this season if his back is against goal trying to hold the ball up
I quote]

How wrong can I get?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MellowYellow wrote:
You were right he was in the box when it was wide today previous games he was not in there. I expect the've talked about it.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Agree - we played a lot more ball down the touch-line and the crosses, particularly from Sparkes caused York no end of problems. Blissett benefited from this.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I think Nicho must have read YorkieAndy's posting because we went straight for the jugular from the start. Good to see Nathan get off the mark with two well taken goals. He's in good company. Kane scored his first of the season for Spurs today. We won, we didn't concede, we played neat football on the ground, we're up to 14th in the league, and yet ...... York were a very poor side and I felt we should have wrapped the game up by winning by three or four nil. In the second half, they hit the bar and Brendan made a fantastic save. If either of those had gone in, it could have been a different end result. Swanny is spot on with his post. The defence looks vulnerable.

York's most dangerous player in the first half was Connelly. He looks a very useful player. Presumably he picked up an injury as he was substituted at half time. I was never a great fan of Simon Heslop, but I thought he had a good game for them. And then there's Richard Brodie. I suppose once a pillock, always a pillock. He might get an odd goal here and there, but apart from that, York might as well play with 10 men.

I thought the ref was okay today. Not brilliant, but okay. Better than the last two we've had. Got most things right I felt. Not sure how he missed the blatant handball in the penalty area in the second half when everyone in the ground saw it. A final thought - if Nicho had brought on Chay Scrivens before the 93rd minute against Lincoln, it might well have been a diferent result .......

On to Woking on Tuesday and Boreham Wood next Saturday. These are both games that we should pick up points from.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Yep, fair play to AustrianAndy (I refuse to call him YorkieAndy !) he was spot on with how we should approach the game! York had some talented players ( Brodie, Connolly, Heslop etc ) but we went at them them right from the kick off and got our early reward. We were hanging on a bit at the end, but in fairness I thought we thoroughly deserved the win - we could easil have had added more, but happy for Blissett that he got off the ,ark with a couple of fine finishes.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jeff wrote:Just have to say it.............

Yorkieandy - your boys took one hell of a beating!

:clap:
:lol:

Don't go anywhere near York City FC these days with any of my money so a York defeat is no skin off my nose Jeff. :na:

As I've said previously, the similarities between York and Torquay are uncanny but with one major difference. Torquay are gradually getting some stability back and are getting to grips with reality, with not underestimating the league, being run on a shoestring and with common sense, communication between club and fans and the community ethos starting to resurface.

Yes Jackie McNamara is York's Alan Knill and can be blamed for much of the club's demise but the real culprits are, like with Torquay (Thea aside) the idiots running the club.

You'd be insane to chuck any more money at a football club that is being run into the ground by people mind-blowingly bereft of any common sense whatsoever. Truly ignorant too. I've not been for over a year now and thoroughly enjoying seeing absolutely nothing change whilst I sit back and spend my time doing something more worthwhile on a matchday.

So pleased you got the points today. :scarf:

Still pleased I managed to give you a chuckle Jeff all those years ago at Macclesfield mate. ;-)

For what it's worth, you travel all over the place to watch the Gulls, especially around the South East and you don't discriminate between a cold wet away day at Sutton or a sunny day by the sea at Southend. True fan my friend. :-D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Cracking win lads.

Get in!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Pleased we got three points today after last week as I thought we were decidedly unlucky to lose against Lincoln. We havn't got the greatest team at the moment and with a small squad its vital that we pick up points now, but we could be heading for lower mid table I'd say.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Absolutely delighted for Blisset, he's come in for a lot of unfair criticism so far this season, Bliss has been getting into good positions, getting on the end of chances, ok he wasn't scoring, but hey, he couldn't have got any closer to scoring over the last few weeks if he'd tried, he was missing by the width of gnats cock. Blisset's work rate has never faltered, and he's stuck to his task through out his baron spell, no one deserved his two goals more than Nathan, and his second was as good as you'll see at this level, well done to him.

I've maintained all the way along our team is nothing more than, a safe mid table side, again yesterday there was plenty of evidence to support that, there were times in the game where our football was superb, but times in the game where our weakness as a team was all to evident, not taking anything a way from the performance and result, was thoroughly deserved, thought TUFC were the better side and created more quality chances, but compare York to Lincoln , yes you can only play what's put in front of you, but my point is, the difference between the quality of opposition in our last two games was night and day, this is why, I, feel our team will win as many as it loses, and will have no problems in gaining a safe mid table finish, there's just 1-2 key positions where our team is short of quality to sustain a promotion challenge this time around.

Thought there was some great individual performances, Verma, maintained last season he was a better right back than midfielder, thought he was outstanding in this game, Moore, has looked a little nervous early season, can't praise him enough, handling safe, decision making assured, two first class, and vital saves in this match, welcome back Brendan, that was the keeper I remembered from last season.

Still think LRT is a weakness, but to be fair, York manager clearly identified LRT as someone they could get at, brought a pacey wide player to go 1 v1 against LRT, but LRT after a difficult opening few minutes, LRT adapted and dealt with the threat their no 20 was causing, so fair play to him for that.

I leveled criticism last at Nicho purely on the timing of his substitutions, as I personally think he got it wrong last week, think he got the timing spot on this week, anyone reading this who's FA coaching courses, and depending on the tutor who may use different wording, but one thing we looked at on a course I did, was the splash and ripple effect, every action in football has a reaction.

In my own personal opinion, which I'm not saying is any more right than, an opinion held by another, If the coach reacts to a situation that's already happened, then yes, 9 times out of 10 it's to late, if he reacts to situation panning out in front of him early enough, giving the substitutes enough time too bed into the game, then you can effect positive change, yesterday we saw the team visibly tire, yet had enough fresh legs on the park to deal with it, in better manner than the week before.

Also we've seen Reid and Ward run themselves into the ground over the last few weeks, with a game Tuesday another good reasons at 2.0 up to pull them off.

All in all a good day at the office, but need to build on it, by bringing back something from Woking.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Great win for the lads yesterday, a dominant display in the first half and, all in all, a pretty good performance against a woeful York City side. Delighted for Bliss, totally deserved his two goals and he loves his new song...Blisset's on fire!

Without trying to sound negative, the defence is still an issue for me. Some sloppy moments by GG and even though McGinity's performance was the best yet, I can only imagine that a better opposition would've brought the scoreline to a draw in the second half when we sat back for the last part of the game.

Looking forward to the trip up to Woking, hoping we can bring back points back to Devon and boost our confidence further.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

Good post from Forevertufc. Agreed we need a couple of players to make us a good team, my problem is where to put them, LRT lacks pace but his experience more often than not puts him in the correct position of where the ball will end up, Dave as he will be forever be known in our household as we struggle with his surname has the vision, quality, strength and legs to play as a holding midfielder, put Gerring in for his strength alongside Mcginty, and Dave would protect them all day long, our midfield is talented and industrious but in stature ,far too lightweight, I think this is one of the main reasons that against Lincoln and to a lesser extent yesterday we were pinned back in our back third for periods, I lost count of the amount of times that our midfielders ended up on their arses in one to one challenges yesterday.
We either abuse, laugh or generally shout at, depending where you are in the ground the likes of Rhead and Brodie, but I would be more than happy if our forward line ends up anywhere near the same goal tally as these two come the end of the season.
The enigma that is Chaney could do a lot worse than have on video loop the performance of Connolly for York yesterday, he would learn a lot about running channels and how to tackle back when you have lost the ball, the ball losing is something that Chaney does too much of which to a certain extent is understandable when you are up against experience, his lack of running back isn't. At 20 he should be running all day for the fun of it, he has talent but we cannot afford a Hoddle in our team that hardly breaks sweat, this is a hard and physical league and the players must whether they like it or not reflect that league.
After last season I am considerably happier on what I have seen so far, there will not be an end of season fright for our fans, making the play offs may be a step to far for this squad, but I will hope !!!!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

forevertufc wrote:Also we've seen Reid and Ward run themselves into the ground over the last few weeks, with a game Tuesday another good reasons at 2.0 up to pull them off.
Blimey, is a pat on the back not enough any more?
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats