Torquay v Lincoln Sat. 3 Sept. (k.o. 5:30 pm) match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Kernowgull wrote:Why did he bring on 2 players with 3 seconds to go. Mental. First half good, beginning of second half ok, last 25 minutes, diabolical. I don't think we put 2 passes together. Livid that that fat prick Rhead got the winner, inevitable though.
Agree what a prick he is and was during game. Gutted as I am , I think it was a cracking game of football. We will not be a relegation team this season. The wind played a major part in this match. I can never remember a match having so many corners, especially the away end.
Lucy
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Rhead may be a prick/arsehole but he has scored 6 goals this season, which is 6 times the number Blissett & Williams have scored between them!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We matched a good side and could/should have at least drawn the game. We had a break in the 92nd minute to win it and then lost it in the 93rd. Over 46 games that will flatten out into an absolutely brilliant mid table season.

As a club, our biggest battles in the coming year are off the pitch, and all credit to Nicho for giving us that concentration. We are well ahead of where we were 12 months ago and that allows us extra focus. We have a good side and won't be promoted or relegated - what we need is owners with resources/enthusiasm/crowd funding to provide the same again next year.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
TUFC2016

Post by TUFC2016 »

Too annoyed about the result but gee whiz the ref'ing sunk to a new low level today

However the first decision the penalty was correct from then it went horribly wrong!

Called the Lincoln captain over twice for chats however booked 2 of us with no talking to
Allowed Lincoln to take free kicks where they liked
Didn't clamp down on first half time wasting
Lacked any authority throughout

If there was an assessor there today I'd like to know his thoughts
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gulliball wrote:We matched a good side and could/should have at least drawn the game. We had a break in the 92nd minute to win it and then lost it in the 93rd. Over 46 games that will flatten out into an absolutely brilliant mid table season.

As a club, our biggest battles in the coming year are off the pitch, and all credit to Nicho for giving us that concentration. We are well ahead of where we were 12 months ago and that allows us extra focus. We have a good side and won't be promoted or relegated - what we need is owners with resources/enthusiasm/crowd funding to provide the same again next year.
:goodpost:
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Strangely enough despite the defeat I'm not to unhappy, it's my opinion that Lincoln have been by some distance the best side I've seen so far, and I fully expect on that evidence to see them chasing a top 5 finish, a very well drilled side.

The positives, our team matched them for long periods, got into good attacking positions, and created enough chances, once again our team haven't tucked them away, we're going come up against weaker sides than Lincoln, we already have. I said right from the start I believe our squad is worth a mid table finish, and still see anything to change my mind, think we'll win as many as we lose.

Only criticisms, we were promised a super fit side, once again our team looked out on there feet in the last 10 minutes are so, and I thought a change needed top come upfront a heck of lot earlier, to be fair Reid, and to a point Blisset had worked their nuts off up front, Williams would have given us fresh legs in the last 10 and some mobility, in turn could have helped keep the ball up, and ease the pressure off the back line, which went into blind panic.

Over all today more positives than negatives, our team is looking much improved on the team that started last season, that can't be a bad thing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Guildford Gull wrote:You are the manager of Torquay United. Your team is under pressure towards the end of the game, playing into a strong wind and under an aerial bombardment.

Do you:-

a) bring on a small attacking midfield player or
b) bring on another centre back.

Answer on a postcard to Nicho.
Being at the game it didn't feel like it was the wrong move. Despite being under pressure, Lincoln were pretty inept at using the advantage of the wind and we kept getting breaks and it felt like we were more likely to nick a goal. With hindsight, maybe bring on Gerring and push GG into defensive midfield, makes. Hindsight is a great thing. I would have used all three subs though in the last 2 minutes
TUST number 080
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Maybe different perspective at the game and on the box, but the last 25 minutes we didn't keep nicking it, we rarely go one pass to one of our team. Up til then agree, was good, but after that was clear we needed a change. Still, I think we'll be fine this year, on the pitch at least
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This match was a good advert for Non League Football. Two very committed sides battling for 3 points with the strong wind always a factor.
Sorry to say we gifted them a penalty when Giancarlo made a rash challenge in the box after 90 seconds. Pure inexperience. I hope he learns.

He made amends with a good header from a brilliant corner delivered by Dan Sparkes.
Bliss missed the best chance of the match when he really should have hit the target. It was a narrow but crucial miss in the context of a very close match.
Make no mistake Nicho has a team which gives everything and I honestly felt a draw would have been a fair result.
Ward was always looking to shoot and at least 3 times he was inches over the bar from 20 yards plus.
The fact that Bliss and Reid put in such tremendous shifts made it difficult for Nicho to take either off. A little surprising with Brett on the bench but Nicho knows best.
This is a team that will get better as they progress and Nicho has done an outstanding job in putting this squad together on an absolute shoestring.
Lincoln look assured of a Top 5 finish this season. Some very decent players and by all accounts a shrewd Manager.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thought Chaney should have replaced Ward if any player but once again we conceded a last minute goal. At some time a manager has got to settle for a point. Against a wind and the conditions perhaps we should have.

When a game is balanced like that a team should try and keep the ball and settle for the draw.

Another good game and every player trying in difficult conditions.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Think Nico's strange use of subs cost us the game today.Should have brought Gerring on to bolster the defence and as for 2 more subs in the 3rd minute of added time that was far too late
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Really enjoyed today's match, but as always when you concede late on it is gutting. Realistically we were holding on for the last 10 minutes but when Rhead got one on one with Rowe Turner in the air there was only going to be one outcome. Was sat behind the Lincoln bench whose only tactic seemed to be 'hit it long' or/and 'stay onside'. We gave a strong team a really good game today and will be ok this season! NICO not only saved us last season but has put a pretty decent (maybe raw) side together who will get better. For me Luck Young was outstanding today!!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Agree with Portugull's post. I'm disappointed for the players with the result because they gave everything against a good and well organised side. We deserved a point for sheer effort. I can see the argument for bringing Gerring on the bolster the defence for the last 20 minutes or so, but i would have liked to have seen young Scrivens brought on to stretch them a bit. I think Nicho made a bit of a balls up with the subs but hey, he's still a novice manager and learning. Another sub-standard National League ref. Not as poor as last Saturday's ref but not far off it.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I still think the collar looks rediculous on our shirts...
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Really good, enjoyable game in challenging conditions. Thought we were unlucky to lose but there was only one side in that second half who looked capable of winning it - we were hanging on by our fingernails for the last 15 mins. Can't for the life of me think why the manager couldn't see we needed three not just one set of fresh legs at that point including our best defensive header (Gerring). One point lost due to managerial naivity.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!