Braintree v Torquay mon 29th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

On what benchmark? We've had 2200 for the first two and then less than 1800 for the last home match. I don't think a 5.30 kick off will affect the gate by too much, and on the back on two wins as well as a better opposition we should be looking much closer to the 2200 than the 1800.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: What TV revenue do we receive for being on BT sports at home?
I think far more important than any tv money is the opportunity for the team to put themselves in the shop window and hopefully persuade some of the stay at homers and the pub tv watchers to come back to plainmoor.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just want to say an immense well done to Nico, the players and the fans at 2 excellent back to back results. Considering the loss a few weeks back at a village side in North Ferriby which must have been demoralising, I think great character has been shown by all to come back from that with the response they / you have.

Keep it going. Up the Gulls!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A good win considering our squad looks potentially wafer thin especially if we get a couple of injuries. I don't think anyone would reasonably have forecast two wins over the weekend.

Certainly the Dover result was a bit of a shock but I guess Braintree are not the side they were last season. Actually Dover lost as well at home to Aldershot so they appear to be as shit as everyone else.

I see that one of Aldershots scorers was Fenelon - wasn't he the bloke we had on loan under Hargreaves who changed his name? whats he doing at Aldershot?

The league appears to be absolutely shocking - what a shame we cannot get proper investment.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Just looked at last season's results, we didn't get our third win until 10 October, game 16. And win 4 until game 25, 26 December. We didn't have 2 consecutive wins until February. So it's been a good weekend!!

Need to keep this momentum going. Half tempted to drive down on Saturday.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gulliball wrote:On what benchmark? We've had 2200 for the first two and then less than 1800 for the last home match. I don't think a 5.30 kick off will affect the gate by too much, and on the back on two wins as well as a better opposition we should be looking much closer to the 2200 than the 1800.
Irrespective of whether we get more than the last home game through the turnstiles the gate will be less than it would be if it wasn't on the tele.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:A good win considering our squad looks potentially wafer thin especially if we get a couple of injuries. I don't think anyone would reasonably have forecast two wins over the weekend.

I see that one of Aldershots scorers was Fenelon - wasn't he the bloke we had on loan under Hargreaves who changed his name? whats he doing at Aldershot?
Two wins in three days and all the gloom and doom has gone away ! But we have to keep our feet on the ground and I'm very much with Forever. If we finish somewhere between 10th and 15th, Nicho will have done a damn good job in the uncertain circumstances the club is in. I didn't expect a win against Dover nor the promising performance we saw. Good to see that young Scrivens was given some game time today.

Lincoln on Saturday will be a tough one. I think they will be up with the leaders this season. Actually, the league is already taking shape. The teams expected to do well are in the top half and there are no surprises, except Sutton. The teams in the bottom half are as expected with the possible exception of York (and some will say Torquay).

Yes - Fenelon was Shamir Goodwin when he played for us. He was ridiculously given a straight red card against Newport (I think) when a Newport player feigned injury that he had been elbowed in the face. It happened right in front of us on the Pop side. As soon as the red card was brandished, the Newport player bounced back up and winked at the crowd. B*stard. Water under the bridge now. Fenelon seems to be popular with the 'Shot fans and he's already scored two or three goals.

Brucie is right - the squad does look wafer thin. And players like Hancox haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet so to expect him to come in at some stage and play well is a bit much. We still don't know what happened to the triallists. Presumably, they're no longer at Plainmoor.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Gullscorer wrote:Anybody know how the players got to the game? And have the numbers on our shirts stopped falling off? :)
The players travelled in a big white coach - Bay Link Travel

I didn't notice shirt numbers falling off.

So all very professional - as was the performance on the pitch.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Bliddy 'ell, Wivel - you must be lying down in a darkened room tonight. Whitby Town won FOUR-Nil !!! When was the last time that happened? Still undefeated and now up in the play off positions ! Come on you Seasiders. A home F.A. Cup game on Saturday - careful you don't let all this excitement get the better of you at your age !!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jerry wrote: Not really, as I am sure we will lose more than £3,000 from the inevitable gate reduction that comes with TV coverage.

Does anyone have BT Sport?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

PhilGull wrote:
Does anyone have BT Sport?
Well BT have 8 million broadband customers and they can all get it. Not to mention that pretty much every pub that has Sky also has it.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

EE have just announced a deal with BT, free BT sport for 6 months for all customers.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Oh Fer Christ Sake wrote:Make no mistake, we were VERY LUCKY TO WIN THIS GAME! At one stage, Braintree actually had possession of the ball in our half. I hate to say it but that simply isn't good enough. SORT IT OUT NICHOLSON!
What's your issue?
Are you nuts?
Who cares if we were "lucky" as you put it!! You seem the only one that thinks so
We aren't Barcelona or AC Barnsley so a 3-1 win away is fantastic.
It's a result based business as far as I'm aware...
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: What's your issue?
Are you nuts?
Who cares if we were "lucky" as you put it!! You seem the only one that thinks so
We aren't Barcelona or AC Barnsley so a 3-1 win away is fantastic.
It's a result based business as far as I'm aware...
I think you failed to spot the large bulge in his cheek there SNW! ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

:rofl:
stefano wrote: I think you failed to spot the large bulge in his cheek there SNW! ;-)
:rofl: :Oops:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468