Torquay vs Dover Sat 27th - Matchday Topic

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

MellowYellow wrote:I agree about pace Arcadia. I though that's what the young lad Scriven's from WBA was brought in for? He came here highly rated and Nico said “He's[Scrivens] that right winger we’ve been after. One with pace that is maybe going to cause a few problems for the opposition".

The real problem is if you don't try him out your never going to know. Can he be any worse, than what we have seen to date. If it does not work then it will not affect the clueless and useless set up we have now. Give both the WBA lads - Scriven's and Ward - a run this Sat or is Nico worried that they will not fit into TU 'Hoof-ball' style of play. I guess it may be expecting to much for these lads to adapt from Premier League's 'ball to feet' with 'pace and purpose' to Conference 'Hoof it anywhere' and 'hope for the best'. style of play.
Tony Pulis is WBA manager.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
mogull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by mogull »

Our damp squid firing players won't even be sure how they will get there, having had taxis and their own cars as transportation to the last two games. On the wages they pick it, and I am certainly not suggesting any of them deserve any more, I expect most of them will walk.
Couldn't let this go. It's damp squib.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I don't think that there is a lot wrong with the squad but it needs tweaking up front as Harrod was so valuable to Blissett and the side last season. There was a knitting together of the midfield and attack when Harrod played. Williams does not work with Blissett as he's an individual and can be good but in and out. Nicho has got to address this asap.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

mogull wrote: Couldn't let this go. It's damp squib.
You could have let it go. You chose not to! ;-)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

mogull wrote: Couldn't let this go. It's damp squib.
I'm guilty of this myself too. It seems to be some unwritten rule in the universe that every single times someone picks up on grammatical or spelling error they make errors themselves! ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
jimhart

Post by jimhart »

All expecting a difficult match tomorrow.
I think our lack of expectation could work in our favour for once.
I shall be there and hoping for a 2 1 win.
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: williams

Post by stueyb »

Dover fan here, and three of us will be setting of after lunch today and staying overnight, so the most important question you could help us with is what is the best Chinese restaurant in the town?

That rather pressing issue out of the way, have to say I do like and enjoy the tone and rhetoric of the debates on here, especially the 'Perception and reality thread' We could rarely discuss such matters in such a manner, as our forum sycophants (and we all have them) would be out in force and in a flash, trying to silence us football heretics.

But in truth, like you guys appear to be, we are in the main a realistic lot, and for the last couple of years by and large we have have enjoyed some truly great times, and getting so close to promotion last year was as exciting as it was heart breaking especially for a club our size and resources.

Will we win tomorrow, most of us expect to, but as much down to your poor form as it is our great form.

True we have won three on the bounce, but two of those were against a woeful Ferriby side and a really poor Barrow side proving in the latter's case that whilst you can spend loads of money it doesn't guarantee you having a good team as they were dreadful.

Like you it appears, we don't have much money, in fact probably a lot less than you, and are certainly nowhere near the biggest payers, far from it, but we do have a wonderful chairman whose commitment and continued investment is beyond reproach. In Chris Kinnear we also have a manager who though very set in his ways puts out a team that not only work their arses off but who, by and large understand their role in the team and rarely deviate from that role, and as many far more experienced and historically larger teams have found to their cost makes us very hard to beat, and in truth awkward to play against.

I notice many suggest you have a break even figure of 2200 fans an amount we can only dream of, I think last season our average just squeezed over the 1000 mark, so financially I guess that puts us some way behind you as well. I know our squad is arguably the smallest in the league, in fact it's dangerously small. It looks like you have about 20 in yours and in comparison, if you take out a few youngsters signed, who realistically will probably never start any matches and the fact that our fitness coach (and what a job he has done as trust me, we are, as a group, mega fit) has also signed up, we probably have only 15 players in our squad and one of those is a loanee who arrived from Orient last week!"

Our football is i'm afraid not always pretty on the eye and for many of us, it can be far too direct, but can we really moan when it invariably produces results? I also notice a lot of you guys appear to be bemoaning the fact that this season you are also resulting to a similar if uncustomary long ball tactic, suggesting it might not be a game for the purists tomorrow. Strangely we are at our best when we get the ball down and play, when we feed our two wingers Emmanuel and Modeste and let them run at defences, then we do look a lot better and definitely a lot more threatening, hopefully for us that's what will happen Saturday

I cant see our manager changing anything though, in fact it's almost certain he will keep the same team for the fourth game on the bounce, which means, you'll probably be pleased to know, that there will be no room for MIller who was dropped after receiving two yellow cards against Borehamwood, and no room either for Sammy Moore the loanee mentioned above, who we are all hoping will prove to be the ideal replacement for Deverdics a summer departure to Hartlepool who practically on his own made us tick last year.

Those travelling up today all feel it might be a much tighter game than most supporters feel, and we certainly don't expect a repeat of last years scoreline the manner of which really made the journey back home even longer, but we all enjoyed our trip to the SW coast and why we are coming early today, hopefully we will win, and thereafter hopefully your form can then pick up, because seeing Torquay in the relegation zone, even at this ridiculously early stage of the season does not make for comfortable viewing.

But we are hopefully going to have a good night tonight and a great day tomorrow but wouldn't bet against a low scoring draw, maybe even a 0-0 and am not sure if that was the case who it would suit better, as we have some really hard games next month, but hey let the best team win, or the luckiest.................as long as it's us
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stueyb wrote: True we have won three on the bounce, but two of those were against a woeful Ferriby side and a really poor Barrow side
We managed to pick up one point from our games against 'woeful' North Terribly and 'really poor' Barrow :'( We Gulls fans find it difficult to grasp that clubs like yours are able to do well with gates of around 1000 yet we are told that gates of 2000 are not enough to pay our way. Are all your players part-time?

You are taking a risk of mentioning Deverdics on here. He broke our full back, Durrell Berry's, leg in two places with a horrendous tackle which should have been straight red-carded. He would not have received a welcome reception tomorrow if he was still playing for Dover. We have two reasons to remain positive - a. we are unbeaten at home and b. um .... er .... um - we don't have to worry about the team coach breaking down.

Can't help with Chinese Restaurants but I'm sure someone on here will have some suggestions. Have a good weekend ..... but don't be too disappointed when the score is the same as last season ! :scarf:
Correction - what's your worry about the score last season ?? On checking back, you got the double over us !!!
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing

Post by stueyb »

All our players, by definition are part time, they train three times a week, unless there is a midweek game. Would estimate our players earn between £400 and £700 with possibly a couple, maybe a little more than that, we either travel by train, or Coach, and trust me a St Trinians bus it most certainly isn't, and I think we actually fly to 4,5 of the longest games from Biggin Hill.
We admit we are not pretty to watch, but we do have an extremely well organised defence (normally) and some very lively forwards. What is a huge part of our recent success is the attitude and commitment our players show, and because we look so fit a lot of teams can't match us.
As for that tackle, not that it makes any real difference, but am sure it was Payne actually, and yes undoubtedly it was a needless, horrid challenge, I hope the lad is recovering well.
As for last year we were winning 2-0, Payne ironically did get sent off, and we lost 3-2, then beat you 5-0 at home where the lad broke his leg.

As for eating, we've binned the Chinese idea and are going Greek at a place called Ephisus, need a few beers first though
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing

Post by stueyb »

All our players, by definition are part time, they train three times a week, unless there is a midweek game. Would estimate our players earn between £400 and £700 with possibly a couple, maybe a little more than that, we either travel by train, or Coach, and trust me a St Trinians bus it most certainly isn't, and I think we actually fly to 4,5 of the longest games from Biggin Hill.
We admit we are not pretty to watch, but we do have an extremely well organised defence (normally) and some very lively forwards. What is a huge part of our recent success is the attitude and commitment our players show, and because we look so fit a lot of teams can't match us.
As for that tackle, not that it makes any real difference, but am sure it was Payne actually, and yes undoubtedly it was a needless, horrid challenge, I hope the lad is recovering well.
As for last year we were winning 2-0, Payne ironically did get sent off, and we lost 3-2, then beat you 5-0 at home where the lad broke his leg.

As for eating, we've binned the Chinese idea and are going Greek at a place called Ephisus, need a few beers first though
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stueyb wrote: As for that tackle, not that it makes any real difference, but am sure it was Payne actually, and yes undoubtedly it was a needless, horrid challenge, I hope the lad is recovering well.
...... and we lost 3-2, then beat you 5-0 at home where the lad broke his leg.
Yes - I wrongly blamed Deverdics who I remember as a useful player. I remembered it was a player who had since left Dover to join a league side. I think your memory is playing tricks, stueyb. It was us who lost 3 - 2 ! I think I recall Torquay conceding a very late goal (we're excellent at doing that) and trudging home afterwards and kicking the cat (or maybe it was the wife, or both).
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing

Post by stueyb »

I'm obviously cracking up then Tom, and there wasn't even any drink involved either, just remembered, well my friend just told me it was actually Cheltenham. I knew it was a long SW trip though. God I hate getting old. Le'ts hope as you point out then that it's the same result then! lol
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing

Post by stueyb »

I'm obviously cracking up then Tom, and there wasn't even any drink involved either, just remembered, well my friend just told me it was actually Cheltenham. I knew it was a long SW trip though. God I hate getting old. Le'ts hope as you point out then that it's the same result then! lol
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

So, the teams are ...?

Radio Devon is silent.

Radio Kent is silent.

Is anyone in?
TUST member 200 ;-)
Eirik