Torquay vs Dover Sat 27th - Matchday Topic

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay vs Dover Sat 27th - Matchday Topic

Post by Louis »

So this Saturday is our 3rd home game of the season as we face Dover Athletic.

Torquay form: L-W-D-L-L
Dover form: D-L-W-W-W

:scarf: COYY
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The only certainty about this game is that Brett Williams will be booked again.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Doesn't look too promising. Thus:

TUFC (1) 1
Dover Athletic (2) 3

Att: 2334 (the last time so high a figure will be reached)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I forsee a second draw of the season for both clubs, therefore...

Gulls 2 v 2 Dover

Att. 2222
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
timmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by timmax »

Dover thugs reduced to 8 men after 20 mins LRTscores og then makes amends with 35 yard screamer deep in injury time 1-1
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Just to say on my calendar this Saturday is the 27th NOT the 18th.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

portugull wrote:Just to say on my calendar this Saturday is the 27th NOT the 18th.
Probably one of those cheap European calendars that you pick up on holiday as Christmas presents for unsuspecting relatives! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

More misery I am afraid as the gravity of our situation is exposed even further.

Torquay 0

Dover 5
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

After travelling to Macclesfield and Sutton (my only two games this season... lucky me!) .... it's time for win.... surely!

Payback time for Durrell.... Utd 3 Calais 0
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

brucie wrote:More misery I am afraid as the gravity of our situation is exposed even further.

Torquay 0

Dover 5
OK Brucie. How much are you willing to bet on that score line?

£100?
TUST member 200 ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

torq2u wrote: OK Brucie. How much are you willing to bet on that score line?

£100?
Betting on something as unpredictable as a game of soccer is a fairly stupid concept, but one would have to say that if logic were applied to the problem then the Brucie forecast should be fairly close.

Dover Athletic, after a strange start to the seaon, are on fire with 3 wins in a row and clearly a massive goal potential in their ranks.

Our damp squid firing players won't even be sure how they will get there, having had taxis and their own cars as transportation to the last two games. On the wages they pick it, and I am certainly not suggesting any of them deserve any more, I expect most of them will walk.

Don't worry though .... we will pick up more yellow and red cards than Dover! We seem to have got the knack there! ;-)
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

I agree. To accept such a bet would be pretty daft. But then so is his concept of what constitutes being a loyal supporter.
TUST member 200 ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I guess no one posts messages much on this board anymore due to inane posts such as those above. What exactly is my "concept of being a loyal supporter" exactly.

I can almost guarantee that I have spent far more money than you supporting Torquay in my lifetime.

As for the scoreline prediction - well I predicted 3-0 at Sutton and was only one off there.

I wouldn't personally bet on the correct scoreline necessarily but consider the following:

The best odds for a dover 5-0 win are 200/1 @ paddy power.

Dover have drawn 0-0 at Wrexham and beaten Eastleigh 4-2 away from home. They have also played our recent opponents North Ferriby and Barrow at home. These two teams are muted to have "huge budgets" by some apologists for our appalling form so far.

Dover beat them 2-0 and 3-1 respectively. North Ferriby according to match reports were saved from another huge drubbing to follow up their 6-1 shellacking at Lincoln by their on loan goalkeeper who made SIXTEEN saves in the Dover match.

The only straw we can clutch at was Dovers shock home reversal 1-4 by Boreham Wood. However Dover had a man sent off and again were reported to be "all over" the opposition until getting the red card.

Three wins on the bounce against a demoralised outfit who are forced to travel to matches in their own vehicles.

Of course we are a full time side and they are part time. They are fourth in the league and we are fourth from bottom.

We will probably field a Western League player (chamberlain) and a centre half who has zero experience of this league who was reported as struggling to deal with the ball over the top agains NF.

I would suggest that Dover are probably two classes above any of the opposition we have faced so far. Football doesn't necessarily go to form and a win here really would be a welcome fillip.

However this looks to have all the hallmarks of a game where we could end up well and truly found out.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think it's time to use pace if we've got it in a wide area and use Chaney if fit around Blissett we need to play 4-5-1 come 4-4-2. When we start talking about this everyone starts blaming the manager but this is not the case. This is an opinion as we need to have more work up front with the strike partners feeding off of each other. :keepie: There it is Brucie. My opinion. Chaney can cause more trouble in the oppositions box. It could be that players are putting the ball into the box to early instead of getting to the by line and pulling it back for the strikers and midfield to run on to. This is my take on it.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I agree about pace Arcadia. I though that's what the young lad Scriven's from WBA was brought in for? He came here highly rated and Nico said “He's[Scrivens] that right winger we’ve been after. One with pace that is maybe going to cause a few problems for the opposition".

The real problem is if you don't try him out your never going to know. Can he be any worse, than what we have seen to date. If it does not work then it will not affect the clueless and useless set up we have now. Give both the WBA lads - Scriven's and Ward - a run this Sat or is Nico worried that they will not fit into TU 'Hoof-ball' style of play. I guess it may be expecting to much for these lads to adapt from Premier League's 'ball to feet' with 'pace and purpose' to Conference 'Hoof it anywhere' and 'hope for the best'. style of play.