Sutton United vTorquay United match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Better team won, awful performance although we didn't throw the towel in (the only positive), awful tactics on a bouncy pitch that shows up your lack of teckers but that's no excuse as every town has a 3G like it. Young not fit, Blissett won very little of the stuff we pumped up to him. Awful ground and I seriously hope these pitches improve before we ever think of getting one as at this level of football, it's not a great spectacle. Will not return here again unless it's a Saturday excuse for a beer tour in London and I might be too pissed to notice the crap on offer.
TUST #324
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Some people will be optimistic but wise old sages such as myself and wivilgull will have seen it all.

The writing is clearly on the wall already. Yet more amateur goings on. The coach we use is FIFTEEN years old. What a joke. The team isn't a patch on last years and we are going to be hard pressed to stay out of the bottom four.

By the sound of it another dire effort as well. Terrible stuff.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Brett Williams - played 4 - booked 3. What a proud record for his new club ........
Amber SUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Amber SUFC »

I do apologise for the poor service from the caterers. They let you and my club down last tonight.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Shouldn't worry about it - as a club we are let down by those running it week in and week out, and we never have a word of apology from them, so we are used to it.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Lastnight was dire. But on reflection and hope. I don't think that surface helped us. ok its an excuse I realise that, but they play on it all the bl**dy time, the ball bounced too high and too quick.

The catering was poor, the ground was not good, typical Conf south, bit better than Basingstoke. The atmosphere would have been dire without a strong following of away support, and that's one of the best they will get this season.

My prediction for this season after watching 2 games, bottom half. Luke Young is not the same player, there is little creativity from midfield and thats why the defense hoof it up because I think they are not confident of the midfield. Just my take on things!
TUST MEMBER
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Once again I agree with brucie. Not only are numbers and names falling from shirts, the hired bus (from whom?) fails.If it was 15 years old, then this explains a great deal. Must do better United!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Neal - fair play to you for following this pile of garbage but making excuses for this is unacceptable. We have now played two matches away from home and been absolutely dire in both by all accounts.

We manage to scrape home against Bromley (who it appears are bloody awful themselves) and shot ourselves in the foot against Barrow.

In fact a start against Macclesfield, Bromley, Barrow and the part timers of Sutton Utd can't really be considered particularly hard. Four points out of that lot is piss poor really.

Yes their pitch favours them, and our preparation was disrupted by the coach breaking down but we are after all a full time team.

Not being able to compete with Sutton is disgraceful. Our defence just isn't up to scratch and with a desperate lack of pace or options in the forward line just seems to add up to us struggling to score goals and struggling to keep them out.

Clearly that is backed up by the results so far. Another relegation battle seems on the cards already. Struggling to keep above the likes of North Ferriby, Sutton and Boreham Wood is just depressing.

Our only hope is for new owners to take over the club because the current ones (although well meaning perhaps) are utterly clueless and are reducing us to a laughing stock.

One would hope that those in charge are pursuing this avenue but unless they can do better than Chris Roberts or Gaming International we looked doomed.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think it is too early to say and my view is that I will reserve judgement until 24th Sept when we will have played 12 matches in 7 weeks.

By then we will really know how we stand in a very volatile League. Just look at last nights game at Eastleigh. 4 goals in the last 10 minutes and Dover win 4.2 away. United play Dover at Home on Saturday week.

We have a wafer thin squad and Nicho is bound to get in a couple of loans. Nicho really needs to emphasize to the squad that discipline on the pitch is important. I do not like plastic pitches and with the coach problem I can forgive last night.

We were very unlucky to concede a fluke goal to Barrow on saturday and Barrow won last night. Keep the faith.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It's not like the players aren't used to plastic pitches. Isn't it plastic that the players use for training at the school?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

brucie wrote:Neal - fair play to you for following this pile of garbage but making excuses for this is unacceptable. We have now played two matches away from home and been absolutely dire in both by all accounts.

We manage to scrape home against Bromley (who it appears are bloody awful themselves) and shot ourselves in the foot against Barrow.

In fact a start against Macclesfield, Bromley, Barrow and the part timers of Sutton Utd can't really be considered particularly hard. Four points out of that lot is piss poor really.

Yes their pitch favours them, and our preparation was disrupted by the coach breaking down but we are after all a full time team.

Not being able to compete with Sutton is disgraceful. Our defence just isn't up to scratch and with a desperate lack of pace or options in the forward line just seems to add up to us struggling to score goals and struggling to keep them out.

Clearly that is backed up by the results so far. Another relegation battle seems on the cards already. Struggling to keep above the likes of North Ferriby, Sutton and Boreham Wood is just depressing.

Our only hope is for new owners to take over the club because the current ones (although well meaning perhaps) are utterly clueless and are reducing us to a laughing stock.

One would hope that those in charge are pursuing this avenue but unless they can do better than Chris Roberts or Gaming International we looked doomed.
To add to this list of woes a lot more people, if they choose, can see for themselves when the BT Sports cameras come to show the home game against Lincoln on September 3.
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

After posting a very uncharitable message on our efforts, or lack of them towards the end of the game last night, I can on reflection say that the criticism was understated. On balance 99 per cent of our squad are playing in this league for a very good reason, they all have deficiencies in their game, which if an experienced coach could rectify, would mean them playing in the league,Williams has obviously got a short fuse, two bookings and counting so far for dissent, Young drifts in and out as the feeling takes him, but certainly this season, hasn,t put in one performance of the quality of last campaign. LRT is too pedestrian and probably couldn't believe his luck that another conference team had given him a contract. Gerring god bless him has the courage and fight of a lion but very little quality, he may improve but I am not sure we have the time to let him. Chaney against Barrow was electrifying at times , last night he seemed lost ,no one was talking to each other, there were no leaders.

To suggest things must change is probably an understatement, and no, I do not have any more ideas than the next supporter on how to rectify our serial under achievement. But our patience with a secretive board, an inexperienced manager and a poorly performing team will only last so long. Then the crowds and the atmosphere will dwindle very quickly and the blame game will start, and the only people to have any credit in all of this will be the long suffering supporter.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

it was a shambles plain and simple, no excuses on travel or pitch as your getting paid to play football.... plus we trained on that surface all last year so not strangers to it.

starting with the defence, how LRT is back at this club i dont know, must be Nico's mate, he is utter toss, Nico could prob do a better job and thats saying something. Verma was good out of a bad bunch, got stuck in and looked able to pass a ball instead of kick it to the other end of the pitch. if new Aussie started i would have been happier as when he came on he looked a half decent player, controlled on the ball and not hurried under pressure. Sparks was not impressive at all.. i agree something is different with young, looked overweight and disinterested, chaney will learn from that game just a little lightweight, lathrope simply not good enough... another LRT kind of signing.. mates club. Blissett was worst ive seen him play and williams wasnt getting enough ball to feet.

All in all with ground, food, pitch, game it was a night to forget and do fear for our season this early on.

To come out and ask for fans to pay into the players fund and have that performance is a disgrace and should really get a refund for last night.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote:I think it is too early to say and my view is that I will reserve judgement until 24th Sept when we will have played 12 matches in 7 weeks.

By then we will really know how we stand in a very volatile League. Just look at last nights game at Eastleigh. 4 goals in the last 10 minutes and Dover win 4.2 away. United play Dover at Home on Saturday week.

We have a wafer thin squad and Nicho is bound to get in a couple of loans. Nicho really needs to emphasize to the squad that discipline on the pitch is important. I do not like plastic pitches and with the coach problem I can forgive last night.

We were very unlucky to concede a fluke goal to Barrow on saturday and Barrow won last night. Keep the faith.
Yes - I think we have to give it until the end of September until we can assess how the season is going. Last night's 'performance' was not helped by the damn coach breaking down - didn't this also happen last season on at least one occasion ? A couple of early observations though - when Luke Young returned at the end of last season, he seemed to be getting back to full fitness. I thought after a full pre-season training, he'd be well up for it this season, but it isn't happening yet. He is not controlling games as he was before his injury. Let's hope he hits form soon. Gerring and McGinty are doing reasonably well as McDonald's and Smith's replacements, although nobody would select them ahead of Angus and Nathan. We are missing Dan Butler big time. Shaun Harrad and Nathan Blissett formed a pretty good pertnership last season. For some reason, this is not happening with Williams and Nathan isn't looking as effective as a result. But early days and I'm sure Nico is well aware of where it isn't happening for the team yet.

As for the Barrow game, I agree it was a fluke equaliser but we were under the cosh for much of the second half and I thought in the end Barrow deserved their point.

If the Lincoln game is being televised on Sept 3rd, does it mean the kick off time will be changed? Note to Amber - a healthy start to the season for Sutton. Maybe Sutton will turn out to be this season's Braintree who surprised everyone by ending in the play offs - good luck !
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Yep 5-30 KO